TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having problems, for one my current tundra coils and top outs are so tall that it makes the balljoint hit the coil, i read through one thread that they used a tie rod fork to jam it into the balljoint, im puttin no camburg arms and i have dhoe extended coilovers im putting on later on. I have removed castle nut and cotter pin, but i cant get the arm free from the stud.

Any suggestions? I have beaten the stud to death, beaten up on the arm, jacked the lower arm up to about level and it still wouldnt come free.

any ideas?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
got the arm free, how do i get the long bolt off the arm and how do i use these forks to get the balljoints off the spindle?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

and how the heck do i use this tool?

·
Registered
456 Posts
You did remove the C-clip on the BJ stud too right? I'm not talking about the cotter pin....

I did this to my Taco, but I just took a nice sledge and hit the old BJ stud a couple of times and it popped right out. Those BJ studs are pressed in, you can also borrow a press from Autozone, I had to use the press to install the new Camburg slugs. If you don't want to swing the BFH at your truck, I understand, the press can probably be used to pull the stock BJ bolt too.

did you check this out too:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/allpro1inuni/allpro1inuni.htm

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That tool is a ball joint seperator. It seems you have already accomplished what it is for. The rest of your questions I dont quite understand. Take pictures about what you are asking about?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh so i need a ball joint press? I asked the doofus about that up at Autozone and he gave me this tool.

basically all I want to do now is get the balljoint out of the spindle so I can put the camburgs in.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, one of two ways. beat it out, or use the removal tool. Shouldn't be that difficult.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, one of two ways. beat it out, or use the removal tool. Shouldn't be that difficult.
their is a c clip that i have yet to find on there,

but beating it out has not done one damn thing yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When the BJ is installed through the knuckle, there is a snap ring (c-clip) that clips around the BJ stud/slug on the top side. Don't try to break the clip as you will want to re-use it on the Camburg slug once you get that installed in place of the original BJ stud/slug.

if you haven't ripped that little boot off the original BJ stud, do so now. It might be covering up the snap ring (c-clip). Get it all cleaned up real purty and look for it. It's there. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont see this c clip, i have everything cleaned mostly, i can only get so much boot off

here is a pic

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Undo the twisted wire. Good thing you are putting on new upper control arms so you wont need that ball joint anymore, that upper ring is pretty messed up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how would I undo it? that shit is kinda tight on there. pliars?

·
Registered
852 Posts
In regards to beating the heck out of the ball joint: is there any reason to keep the old ball joint in good shape if you're not planning on re-installing the old UCAs? And, if you *do* beat it to smithereenes, can you get a new one from Toyota?

Thanks,
-Radar

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In regards to beating the heck out of the ball joint: is there any reason to keep the old ball joint in good shape if you're not planning on re-installing the old UCAs? And, if you *do* beat it to smithereenes, can you get a new one from Toyota?

Thanks,
-Radar
yeah the dealer has em but im sure they arent cheap.

dentedtacoma, do you think I can get that wire peice out and get the entire thing out without a c clamp press? my local auto zone doesnt even have one to rent, just the pickle forks.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
To get that Snap ring off, I had a good pair of snap ring pliers, and I would use the pliers to open the ring, and I had to have my wife take a flat-head screw driver and shove it in there, and then I pried it off. It was kind of a bitch, but if you hold your mouth just right, you'll get it.

As far as getting the UBJ out of the spindle - I just had to beat the shit out of it with a 3lb hammer!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
thanks Jaime, ill get working on it tonight, i have to head to work here in 30 minutes then get off at 9.

i wish i they made mini 20lb sledge hammers

so the wire sticking ot is the c clip / snap ring? I guess ill be buying some snap ring plyers as I dont think i have any,

·
Registered
852 Posts
Here are some pics of it from www.parksoffroad.com:

With c-clip still installed:

With c-clip removed:

On its way out (post-sledghammering, or whatever method you're using):

Hope this helps, and good luck!
-Radar

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
helps a little, just cant get the rest of the boot off to tell where the c clip is in relation to what I have on there now, this is quite possibly the gayest thing i have had to encounter while modding my truck

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
still confused, however im not with my truck, at work typing this, the wire that is sticking out, does that hold the boot on or is that the actuall peice that holds on the c clip? just want to get some info out, and this c clip can i just pick it up with my own fingers or am i going to have to press it out?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The twisted wire is just to remove the rest of the boot. Just untwist the twisted end sticking off and it will just loosen right off. Then you can get the boot off and see what is under it, I never checked because I was just replacing my boot when I did it but apparently that is where the c-clip is. Usually you can get c-clips without special tools, either needle nose pliers or a screwdriver with a hammer. Be creative and you will liekly be able to get it without much problem.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts