TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys might remember my saggy rear-leafs...

(bad pic, but if you look you can see that my rear wheel wells sit about 2 inches closer to my tires then the front.)

Well, they got a lot worse over the summer. I had major :( 'y leafs. I was going to do a chevy swap but I wasn't managing to get my hands on the materials here in the valley. I have a friend who had what I think was an older toyota leaf pack, so I decided to see what I could do with it. It was about three inches short, so I decided to cut off the loops on the ends and tack it up under my existing leafs. Right now my truck's sitting at about +1 inch in the back...

Some flex shots:

(swaybar detached)

I'm happy with the flex. I still have pretty decent down-travel (I could use a little longer shocks probably), but I really should extend my bumpstops... I don't want to though, because I know that up-travel is way more important then down-travel.

What it comes down to is that I didn't spend a penny on this build, so if I flex these to death in a year, I'll just do something different.

Tell me what you think? I would love to drop a wad on nice mods for my truck, but I live on ~$500/month, so I'm pretty happy with how this turned out!

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I forgot to take them as I was working on it. The springs I added were a complete three leaf pack with an overload. I used all three. I cut the bushing wrap off the main leaf and the upturned ends off the second leaf. I kept the second leaf from my truck and simply added the three new leafs underneath it. The new leafs go from just behind the loop for the front hanger on my main leaf, to about an inch short of the loop for the shackle. So they do a decent job of supporting the uber flexed out main leaf. I generally mangled the metal tabs that wrap around the ends of the leaf pack to keep them straight. I need to come up with a good silution for those, but it's not essential to keeping the truck attached to the axle. I left my overload off, but if I decide I want it at some later point I'll get longer centering pins and add it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You could have had the leafs reached at a spring shop... might have saved some of the labor and your spring clamps would be in tacked ...any way you can get new clamps from a spring shop and take care of that!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually wheel with tools, a load of camping gear, and a shell. There's no way that re-arching my stock springs would have solved my problem for more then about 3 good wheeling trips... plus, I don't have any money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts