TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know a lot of you just got back from there, but I was not able to make it for various reasons. Me, and a few of my friends are thinking about going up there May 19th & 20th. So far it is only looking like me in my taco, my cousin in his 4x4 Tundra and a couple other guys on ATV's. This is not meant to be a big event and I know is kinda last minute notice, but I figured if anyone who didn't make it on the last trip or just wanted to go again can follow us up there and tag along. We will probably head out Friday afternoon (May 18th) and stay up there Fri. and Sat. night. Just let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
From what i understand there is alot of stuff going on that weekend

WAT/Cookout in SA Was Moved to May 18th

Saturday May 19th Toyota of Fort Worth is hosting there second annual car and truck show.

"Most of the DFW Toyota folks will be representin' on the trails at Clayton, Oklahoma"

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
That's a good point manny.

Also, I would go only if at least one of the other guys show up.

Based on my experience last weekend, that trip calls for a trail guide that knows that place very well.

It would be very hard and unsafe to enjoy that place without somebody in the group that has been there previously. Dude, trust me, that place is no spring creek whatsoever. Also, IMO, a winch is MUST there. I wouldn't go if nobody has a winch.

Just my:2cents:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yea, it is easy to get lost in that place. The map is useless unless you are somewhat familiar with the park. Trail ratings can also be incorrect so having some experiance on them helps out.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
good point Harold.

IMO, going with somebody that doesn't know the place could almost be a waste of time.

Hey, but if you lead the way again, I might give use to that weekend pass they gave us!

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Ben makes a good point about the benefit of having a trail guide there. I've been there a bunch of times, but have only done a few 3-diamond trails. I'm the king of 2-diamond trails, though, since that's what I've mostly done all these years - lol. You should be fine with most of the 2-diamond trails even without a winch, but obviously bring as much recovery gear as possible just in case.

I should have a list somewhere that details the stock-friendly 2-diamond trails since I led a beginner's group there at this year's Jambo in January and had no problem with the trails we chose to do. If I find it, I'll post it for whoever is thinking of going and wanting to do some easy trails. I can tell you, though, that Binder's Blvd felt more like a 2-diamond trail, even though it's rated as a 3, when we did it this past weekend. And On Any Sunday has usually been an easy 2-diamond the times I've done it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My cousin has a GPS tracker we are taking. So we won't have a problem finding our way out for sure. We have LOTS of 4" straps and plenty of recovery points on our trucks. No winch though, not yet anyways ;)

That is what I will like about having the ATV's there, even if both trucks get stuck, we can jump on the ATV's with our buddies and go find someone with a winch or bigger vehicle.

I was thinking about giving the guy a call who gave out his email address on the other posting about Gilmer. He offered to show any TTORA members around if they come up there again. I think he said he hung with the guy in the white samari. If I can get one of them to lead us, I will for sure go. I plan to have a powertrax no-slip installed before I go up there... might even have a lockrite in the front too... gotta see how things go.

All of your concerns though make sense... I will try to find a guide before we lock this down for sure. Either way I have to go up to Tyler (which is like 25 miles from Gilmer) for business on Sunday afternoon. So I figured I would just go to Gilmer on Friday and make a weekend of it.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i think ill swing out there for a few days on my way up to Moab.. i haven't been to Gilmer for quite awhile.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
good point Harold.

IMO, going with somebody that doesn't know the place could almost be a waste of time.

Hey, but if you lead the way again, I might give use to that weekend pass they gave us!
Ben, I know the area well, me and a few friends will be there Memorial Day weekend. I work that Saturday, so I won't be here until supper time Saturday. They will be there at the TTR camp if you come Friday night/Sat AM.

LMK...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ben, I know the area well, me and a few friends will be there Memorial Day weekend. I work that Saturday, so I won't be here until supper time Saturday. They will be there at the TTR camp if you come Friday night/Sat AM.

LMK...
mmm.... now I'm seriously thinking about it:D At this point i don't know i could make it for the whole weekend, but maybe get there saturday in the afternoon.

thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So if we move it to the 27th & 28th we will have a guide?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Memorial weekend it is then... gives me a little more time to get a front and rear locker installed...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Memorial weekend it is then... gives me a little more time to get a front and rear locker installed...
got sliders? if not make sure you get some on too because you WILL need them alot more than lockers out there. if you cant do all 3 and it comes down to a choice between the two, go with rear locker and sliders.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip!!! I do not have sliders yet... I am having trouble finding some bolt-on's for cheap... they are almost TWICE as much as weld-ons!! I really wouldn't mind having them welded on if I knew the person who was doing it knew what they are doing... I have heard horror stories of welding on newer (OBD II) vehicles. I can get the front locker used for cheap... so it will probably be a locker in the front and sliders.

I still need to get some 255/85R16's too ;)

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Thanks for the tip!!! I do not have sliders yet... I am having trouble finding some bolt-on's for cheap... they are almost TWICE as much as weld-ons!! I really wouldn't mind having them welded on if I knew the person who was doing it knew what they are doing... I have heard horror stories of welding on newer (OBD II) vehicles. I can get the front locker used for cheap... so it will probably be a locker in the front and sliders.

I still need to get some 255/85R16's too ;)
never had issues with my sliders and OBDII when they were welded on.. I do like being able to remove mine now though

1 - 20 of 90 Posts