TTORA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Buy the tires/wheels and I'll throw in a set of them sliderz for free! ;)
Man, that's a good deal!

DIY Beadlocks - at least $300 for rims and rings, plus welding
Tires - $225 - 250 new x 4
Sliders - One would pay around $200 for custom sliders that Michael makes

I'd say that's a good deal, my man!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thanks for the info!

I like the idea of adding coils later, but I would have the same concerns. Have you searched Pirate to see what peeps are saying?
I generally try to stay off of pitrate unless I'm lookiong for something particular. Most of the info that runs through there overflows to other places where people don't have sand in their vaginas. I do like the airshock tuning writeup and have been reading it about once a day to keep the info fresh in my mind. I've been doing the same with the petersons 4link how to from a few years back.

I ordered these just now. I decided to go big. I was gonna order the 16, or 14 inch travel shocks. I don't want to limit my travel any and I'm building around my suspension, so why not go longer. I also orders upper shock brackets and a air shock tune kit to go with it all.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Fox-2.0-Air-Shock-p-102.html

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I wish I had those wheels.. I feel silly riding on a 11" wide wheel (counting beadlock) with a 12.50 tire.
I'd take yours in on trade if the backspacing is right, then youll only have to get rid of a set of tires.

I went with the 18" fox airshocks. I'm gonna have fun trying to tune these bad boys. I hope I don't regret going with the 18" over the shorter versions. I highly doubt I'll ever use all the travel they offer, but I'd guess I'm better off having a shock with unsued travel than one that limits my travel.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I finally the cutting all but done on the tube and frame. I may tweak the "new" tube that goes over the fender, but we'll see.

I plated the insides of the frame. Notice the seam the rear most plate was part of my old inboard chevy spring mount. I plated all the way up to the trans crossmember. I still need to go back and grind it smooth where I plug welded to the origional frame, and generally just clean up a little.

I've got more cleanup to do on the axle to. The plasma tip was going bad and I gouged the axle a little. Those heavy ass spring perches welded in and out were a good idea at the time but oh my what a pain to remove. You can also see the start of the truss we cut out last weekend. I need to take out some small pie cuts and fold the sides down. then I need to get it sitting level and square. I also noticed my housing may be bent some. I put my angle finder on the pass side and it shows 1, or 2 degrees down towards the 3rd member, put it on the driver side.....same thing 1 or 2degrees down hill towards the 3rd. I'm gonna pull this one off as I always do and just run it till it blows.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
It's gonna be a pain in the arse to swap axles later should your axle really be bent and need replacing. Why not swap it over now? Lower brackets, upper truss and brackets, air shock tabs... Do ya have another IFS axle to go in there? I'd be tempted to throw a T100 axle in there. As always, just my two cents.

Keep the pics and the progress rollin', Michael!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
It's gonna be a pain in the arse to swap axles later should your axle really be bent and need replacing. Why not swap it over now? Lower brackets, upper truss and brackets, air shock tabs... Do ya have another IFS axle to go in there? I'd be tempted to throw a T100 axle in there. As always, just my two cents.

Keep the pics and the progress rollin', Michael!
I have one, and unless I just recently bent my axle I doubt its bad enough to require needing replacing. I had the shafts and 3rd out when I shaved it and added the then taller spring perches., everything went back together just fine then. Go out and put an angle finder on a t100 axle or even your current rear axle. I'd bet it isnt perfect either, not by far. Oh and yes I have a couple ifs rears I could use, even one sitting out waiting to be used, but I like this one, its been good to me.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I got an email returned from Ballistic. The 2nd half of my order shipped today. I'll prolly wind up getting the air shocks and rod ennds the same day. I guess next week will be measuring and mockup time.

This gives me time to finnish up the 4runner, and mabye Glen's mom's scooter hauler.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Awesome work buddy... looks like everyones got thier crap in pieces... we all have 2 weeks to get it together man.
Its not gonna happen for me in 2 weeks. Its gonna take too much time.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I havent gotten much else done on this lately, but I did manage to shape my truss to the axle tube.

I want to fully weld it to the housing but I'm unshure how to keep dirt and water out of the hole I had to cut for the breather. Any Ideas?

I also finally setup this notcher. I've had it in my possesion for years and never used it. I always used the chop saw method of notching, but the notches this thing makes will take so much less cleanup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Axle truss

I was lookin at that and thought maybe you could not weld the ends all the way and make a small notch. That way you could take a garden hose and flush all the dirt out and water would drain on its own.

Or maybe some dimple die holes along the sides?

JJ

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I was lookin at that and thought maybe you could not weld the ends all the way and make a small notch. That way you could take a garden hose and flush all the dirt out and water would drain on its own.

Or maybe some dimple die holes along the sides?

JJ
Good idea Jay. I'll go check it out in a few and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
come out and go wheelin... I'll save you a spot in my rig if you want to join. I could always use a good spotter. plus after wheelin we can enjoy a cold beverage and talk about cagin' my rig.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I have come up with a plan. I cleaned the breather threads out to 1/8 npt when I extended my breathers up. So now I need to remove the fitting I added back then, and install a pipe nipple that extends just through the truss. I'm then going to get a washer that fits snugly around the nipple and with some light tacks I'll secure the washer to the nipple. I may even put a couple tacks on the between the washer and the pipe nipple, just to keep things secure. If I ever want to remove I'll have to grind the tacks at the washer and just unscrew it from the housing. If I have the correct fittings, i'll get pics this afternoon.

81 - 100 of 424 Posts