TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about this brand of CV axle? I saw them on eBay and was wondering if they're of good enough quality for offroad use. I suppose any spare is better than none but to go through all the trouble to put it in and then have it break soon after to get off a trail would suck. :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Matt said:
Anybody know anything about this brand of CV axle? I saw them on eBay and was wondering if they're of good enough quality for offroad use. I suppose any spare is better than none but to go through all the trouble to put it in and then have it break soon after to get off a trail would suck. :confused:
I bought a pair of GKN remans from autozone for ADD. The boots are made of a different type of rubber than stock. The fins rubbed with the slightest lift and they only lasted about 2000 miles before rupturing. One of the axles had been turned down. Looks like a fancy chair leg made by a 7th grade shop student. I put on new factory boots and it seems ok now, but I just picked up a manual hub setup from the salvage yard so I can go to manual setup and rid myself of my cv nightmares.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nanotruck said:
I bought a pair of GKN remans from autozone for ADD. The boots are made of a different type of rubber than stock. The fins rubbed with the slightest lift and they only lasted about 2000 miles before rupturing. One of the axles had been turned down. Looks like a fancy chair leg made by a 7th grade shop student. I put on new factory boots and it seems ok now, but I just picked up a manual hub setup from the salvage yard so I can go to manual setup and rid myself of my cv nightmares.
Thanks for the info. The ones I saw listed were brand new in box and $79 each. Doesn't sound too bad. Maybe buy some stock boots for them instead.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Matt said:
Thanks for the info. The ones I saw listed were brand new in box and $79 each. Doesn't sound too bad. Maybe buy some stock boots for them instead.
I've bought from that guy on ebay before. The shipping is a little slow, but it got there. The boots are the same as the oem ones. I'm not sure what that other guy is talking about, but the boots that come on the remans from autozone, advanved, etc... are better imo. The fins are seperated further apart and the rubber is thicker.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tenntaco said:
I've bought from that guy on ebay before. The shipping is a little slow, but it got there. The boots are the same as the oem ones. I'm not sure what that other guy is talking about, but the boots that come on the remans from autozone, advanved, etc... are better imo. The fins are seperated further apart and the rubber is thicker.
Thanks Daniel. That's a little more encouraging.

·
Registered
67 Posts
tenntaco said:
I'm not sure what that other guy is talking about, but the boots that come on the remans from autozone, advanved, etc... are better imo. The fins are seperated further apart and the rubber is thicker.
This is what the other guy is talking about. They probably aren't all this bad, though.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nanotruck said:
This is what the other guy is talking about. They probably aren't all this bad, though.

I wonder if they come that way brand new, as in the axle has been turned? The ones I saw on eBay are describes as new in box.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Matt said:
I wonder if they come that way brand new, as in the axle has been turned? The ones I saw on eBay are describes as new in box.
The ones on ebay are brand new in the box. At least they were when I got them. I snapped that one in about 20 mintues on the trail. I've gone through sveral this year, and my remans hold up a little better, IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts