TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here built a go kart from scratch, like the frame and everything? because im looking to build one this coming summer and i'm trying to get together some plans for it. i want to make one with some suspension possibly independent all the way around with coilovers but dont know if this will work. feedback is greatly appreciated thanks ya'll

·
Registered
503 Posts
02toyo_taco said:
has anyone here built a go kart from scratch, like the frame and everything? because im looking to build one this coming summer and i'm trying to get together some plans for it. i want to make one with some suspension possibly independent all the way around with coilovers but dont know if this will work. feedback is greatly appreciated thanks ya'll
Yea. I drew the plans my self the hardest part was figuring out the sespension on the rear. I used the rear swing arm from an old motorcycle. I have some pictures I will post up if I can find them.

I also had a kids "Fun Cart" that I picked up with a seized Briggs and Straton 5hp motor. I tore the motor apart and left some oil in the cyl and managed to get it running again. That thing was awsome. I machined a stright pipe for it and tore off the mech rev limited on the carb. When it was stock it would do 18mph. We got it to do 54mph on GPS modified. It was scaryier than shit though, no suspension and only had a shitty brake on one wheel.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CMB1998 said:
Yea. I drew the plans my self the hardest part was figuring out the sespension on the rear. I used the rear swing arm from an old motorcycle. I have some pictures I will post up if I can find them.

I also had a kids "Fun Cart" that I picked up with a seized Briggs and Straton 5hp motor. I tore the motor apart and left some oil in the cyl and managed to get it running again. That thing was awsome. I machined a stright pipe for it and tore off the mech rev limited on the carb. When it was stock it would do 18mph. We got it to do 54mph on GPS modified. It was scaryier than shit though, no suspension and only had a shitty brake on one wheel.

Later,

Chris
if you could find the plans that would be awesome but yeah i would love to see some pictures of it if you can find those

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you want ive got 2 coilovers off of my old lt230 4 wheeler that arent doing me any good if your interested id sell um to you 20 bucks plus shipping. also the quad is complete but the block is cracked. if you want anything else let me know. good luck with the project.

·
Registered
503 Posts
02toyo_taco said:
if you could find the plans that would be awesome but yeah i would love to see some pictures of it if you can find those
Plans were a poor choice of words. Was more like a bunch of doodling on paper at work on a slow day. I know I don't have those around anymore. I looked for pic's and I have pics of the "fun Cart" but none of the other. It predated digital cameras.

If your not looking for anyting with suspension then its really stright foward. If you want suspension then its a different story. I had a hell of a time keeping the chain on the rear axel with the setup I used before I went to the swing arm. The chain would bind everytime the rear "axel" would pivot. The swing arm and chain tensioner solved the problem.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well what im thinking is getting the rear independent setup out of like a polaris 4 wheeler then haveing the engine turn a jackshaft with sprockets on each end going to some CV's that in turn drive the wheels. not sure if this will work but its just a little brain storm and on the doodles i hear you there ive been doing nuthing but doodling the past week on this thing

·
Registered
273 Posts
02toyo_taco said:
has anyone here built a go kart from scratch, like the frame and everything?
Google "sae mini baja" if you want to do off road.

Google "Formula sae" if you want onroad.

Mechanical engineering majors build these while in college and compete with them.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
I tried to build one using my 2001 YZ250F as the powerplant. It was for a science project and I wanted to see how fast it could go, so I just bolted the whole frame on (part of the oil is incorporated into the frame)

I'm going to junk it for scrap metal, ti turne dout like poo, but I do have wheels that are brand new and have never been used!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Get a powerwheel and make a frame for it. That's what "some guys I know" do and it works great. We live in a forest pretty much so there's plenty of hills to go down, good times! :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
www.ekartingnews.com
I race shifter karts professionally around the country and they're a blast! They're really actually pretty simple, no suspension, the flex of the chassis is what creates the differential action in the rear SOLID axle. It actually flexes to lift the inside rear tire while cornering, not too much, we're talking 1/8th - 1/2". You could model something after one of these and use the bodywork that we use and have a pretty bitchin street kart. Now if you want off road or suspension like you said, not much on these karts will apply.

If you need some info on places to get kart parts, shoot me a PM and I'll hook ya up :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TruckinT said:
www.ekartingnews.com
I race shifter karts professionally around the country and they're a blast! They're really actually pretty simple, no suspension, the flex of the chassis is what creates the differential action in the rear SOLID axle. It actually flexes to lift the inside rear tire while cornering, not too much, we're talking 1/8th - 1/2". You could model something after one of these and use the bodywork that we use and have a pretty bitchin street kart. Now if you want off road or suspension like you said, not much on these karts will apply.

If you need some info on places to get kart parts, shoot me a PM and I'll hook ya up :D
i wish i could get into racing go karts but i dont having the money being in school and probably dont have the time doesnt it involve some travel?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NorcalPR said:
So, whaddya say, wanna buy my tires and rims? lol
hey man i would buy the shit out of them if i had the money right now i have to wait till summer to buy anything just though i would get a head start on the design of it so i'm not going into it blind but thanks alot. if you still have them in the summer i'll buy them but you probably wont want to keep them around that long

1 - 15 of 15 Posts