TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i snapped today after my xl coffee ended up on the pass seat floor. surprisingly enough the lid held and i didnt loose any coffee. go figure.

i made a little insert out of 1/2" thick uhmv plastic i had left over from my skid.

i used two sample jars i had left over from my lab days as cup holders. they hold a coffee perfect and i can screw the lids on if i ever in a million years needed to do that. they slide right out so i can clean em although it is a snug fit and they dont budge. i screwed it from underneath the console w 4 roofing screws and some spacers. i might cut em down a bit later and paint the insert but right now i love the stability they provide.

i went a little stupid there for a bit and made a little ipod cutout so it doesnt bounce all over the place.

it looks a little cheezy but does a great job.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
once you get them painted that will look great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
those are awesome! I need to do something like this to my 96taco... hmm no center console... :confused: congrats nice fab work on the cupholders!:headbang: :clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,659 Posts
I've had multiple drinks fall on the passenger side.. and driverside... :mad: I still havn't cleaned up the stains it has left!

Imma have to steal your design!!!

Very Clean Set Up! :kewl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
gonna have to test out a couple diff paints to see what sticks to the plastic before i make it look pretty. also have to look for some containers that r the same sz but maybe black.

incidentally i "liberated" another 4x8' piece of this junk from work. before i loaded it up at work i took the opportunity to smash into it w the forklift a couple times (concerns brought up when i made the skid from the stuff). i put the sheet up against a conc. wall and ran into it w the forks at half speed (@45 deg angle) just to see what would happen. well the forks just deflected and gouged the plastic a little. i think i have a pic.

thanks for the feedback.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fuckin paint wont stick!!!!!!!!

shit is too slippery.

tried duplicolor tire and wheel paint and duplicolor plastic and trim paint.

any suggestions???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
looks like alot of work - wouldn't it have been easier just to drive slower?


darwink1 said:
i snapped today after my xl coffee ended up on the pass seat floor. surprisingly enough the lid held and i didnt loose any coffee. go figure.

i made a little insert out of 1/2" thick uhmv plastic i had left over from my skid.

i used two sample jars i had left over from my lab days as cup holders. they hold a coffee perfect and i can screw the lids on if i ever in a million years needed to do that. they slide right out so i can clean em although it is a snug fit and they dont budge. i screwed it from underneath the console w 4 roofing screws and some spacers. i might cut em down a bit later and paint the insert but right now i love the stability they provide.

i went a little stupid there for a bit and made a little ipod cutout so it doesnt bounce all over the place.

it looks a little cheezy but does a great job.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
4xClover said:
This coming from a guy that spent 4 weeks replacing his seats! :rolleyes:
:rofl:

I don't drink coffee, I usually just keep the bottle of Jack between my legs when I'm driving, no problems here! :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
Tweeter said:
:rofl:

I don't drink coffee, I usually just keep the bottle of Jack between my legs when I'm driving, no problems here! :rolleyes:
:rofl: Just make sure nobody gets a picture of you with the bottle and that you don't have any TTORA stickers on your truck! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
4xClover said:
:rofl: Just make sure nobody gets a picture of you with the bottle and that you don't have any TTORA stickers on your truck! :rolleyes:
Noted ;)

I think he should re-upholster it with zebra. When I do my cage I'm going to get leopard custom upholstered headliner and in the seats (down the center) and maybe the doors too, it's going to be sweet :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
Tweeter said:
Noted ;)

I think he should re-upholster it with zebra. When I do my cage I'm going to get leopard custom upholstered headliner and in the seats (down the center) and maybe the doors too, it's going to be sweet :D
Sweet...you'll be pimpin' Yo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
LOL! Figures it's a xl Tim Hortins :D , probably a double-double, right?
I like getting my moneys worth when I buy something ..... bigger the better..... but it boggles my mind that the person behind the counter fills my coffee to the top and then try to squeeze the lid on.
Open the little tab on the lid and next thing you know your soaked. Or...... the lid is dripping when they pass it too you through the drive through. I've confronted store management about this a few times.
I would stop drinking their coffee, if they would stop putting "cocaine" or what ever the hell it is they put in there, that most canadians are addicted too! :rolleyes: If your canadian you know what I mean. ;)

Darwink......... I noticed you won on the roll up rim. LOL... what did you win?

Your getting some good use out of that plastic. ;) Your project looks pretty good! Make me one :D

Now test it........around a corner doing 80 Kmh :D
Looks good brother. good gob!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
darwink1 said:
fuckin paint wont stick!!!!!!!!

shit is too slippery.

tried duplicolor tire and wheel paint and duplicolor plastic and trim paint.

any suggestions???
sand it? and light coats of primer? maybe primer that suits that type of surface..I dunno I got the idea from smoking a lot of pot and sliding across the linoleum floor get more cap'n crunch :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
haha didnt take too long to make. it was raining and i was bored. just tooled around in the garage all day while people stopped by an d brought me coffees (triple triples when they r extra large) and doobies for inspirational purposes. i actually won a coffee on that one. tip: when u open the tab push it thru to the inside of the cup instead of flipping it back. coffee wont spill out. unless they overfill the bastards.

t bob. i notice u have a newer taco. you got the decent cup holders w yours. mine were totally useless and the time spent on the plate was more than worth it. and seriously now im not takin corners at 100mph here. normal speed.

i sanded good before trying out the paint. still no go. i can take it off w my nail. im gonna go look at paint tomorrow but im thinkin of brushing on some of that bedliner shit, since i have some left, on a spare peice to see if it sticks. thats whats fucking me. the shit is designed to have a low friction coefficient. shit not sticking to it is the way its suppused to be. i know decals stick to it so if im at a loss ill just cut out a sheet of sticker shit to cover it up.

so far ive made the skid, cup holder, chain guides for the dh bike, sliders for a fishing hut, and some sliders for the kitchen drawers in my bathroom using the plastic. any more ideas? my new piece is big enough to plate from the steering rack to the r axle. hmmmmm t case clock, a few cross members from bud built, and a nice flat slippery belly.....hmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
I guess I am just lazy I did this:


Then got pissed at the whole console and did this:


Sorry about the X-Large pictures!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
I know - just f-in with ya. Your probably gona have to cover it with vinyl- looks like a form of delrin that your using, I don't think paint will stick to delrin but I could be wrong....it's happen before.

- just finished reading the post, guess u allready figured out the paint won't stick ;)

darwink1 said:
t bob. i notice u have a newer taco. you got the decent cup holders w yours. mine were totally useless and the time spent on the plate was more than worth it. and seriously now im not takin corners at 100mph here. normal speed.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top