TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed a 9pt Buck last wednesday....gonna leave here at about 4am (1.5hr drive) to see if i can get him right at daybreak this time. My 7mag was shooting 4 inches high, and that made the difference between a nice buck and an empty bed in my truck. I shot at 203 yards and the bullet went right over him. It was my first time deer hunting and everyone said I at least got to pull the trigger.....It was my fault because I accidentally tapped the scope on the way up to my tree stand.

I saw 4 decent bucks that morning. The one i shot at was the only one that came within my range. I didnt want to take risky shots in between branches.
I also learned that even just the slightest click of the safety switch will cause a deer to pause at 100+ yards away. I lost a potential shot because of that...we'll see how it goes this time around...if i get lucky, i'll post a pic.

Have any of you hit anything this season?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just hogs, quail and chuckar. No deer this year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well be lucky your hunting, cause I've got a messed up back and I had so skip hunting this season. :banghead: But maybe next year I'll be back in the woods. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I shot this 28" buck this year with my .338 ultramag @500 yards.
[/IMG]
You should check your scope mounts for tightness, A good scope mounted properly should not move from zero unless it fell out of the tree.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I ended up with 2 bucks and 2 does this year.......would have been more but i spent all season fighting a POS scope that will not hold a consistent sight.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
3 does. No good bucks where I hunt, but atleast plenty of does.

·
Registered
793 Posts
A doe so far, still hittin the woods with the flinter trying for another deer.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
3 does. No good bucks where I hunt, but atleast plenty of does.

I here that. both bucks I shot were small but they already had wounds so I shot them to put them out of their pain........one of them was shot in the RR leg and could no longer stand when I walked up on him and the other one was hit high and could still run but just barely.

Too many people around me shoot anything with horns so the small bucks never have a chance to get big........but they don't shoot any does so we have too many of them.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I killed 2 does and a small 6 point(abnormal rack) for Deer this year. I have killed 4 Sows(90-220lbs) and 2 Boars(156lbs and 287lbs). I lost a 400+lbs. boar on friday, he just sucked up the blood trail in the swamp with no luck on finding him. I normally shoot them 2" back and 2" down behind the ear. They are normally DRT(dead right there) and all I had was a shot behind the shoulder.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Shot a small 4 point on opening day and lost it due to bad shot placement. Trailed blood for about 3 hours before running out of property bounds.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
hurley994 said:
I missed a 9pt Buck last wednesday....gonna leave here at about 4am (1.5hr drive) to see if i can get him right at daybreak this time. My 7mag was shooting 4 inches high, and that made the difference between a nice buck and an empty bed in my truck. I shot at 203 yards and the bullet went right over him. It was my first time deer hunting and everyone said I at least got to pull the trigger.....It was my fault because I accidentally tapped the scope on the way up to my tree stand.

You need a new scope if you threw it off with a tap...

If it was 4" high at 200 yards, thats not too bad, thats about dead on at 300ish, and about 3.5" high at 100 yards... So it comes down to what you are sighted in for, what round you are shooting, and how fast it is going....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
No deer yet, just a few hogs. I was stopped at the check station last night and a guy pulled up dragging the biggest hog I have ever seen behind his truck. It maxed out the 350# scale at the check station with only it's back legs in the air, and it's front shoulders and head still on the ground. It was probably between 450 and 500 pounds. The guy must have been in his 60s and was out squirel hunting. It started raining so he went back to his truck to dry the scope on his 22. He said the hog walked right up the road to him like it was going to attack him. I guess it's all about being at the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well im back.......Empty truck once again. I saw 2 small bucks and 1 doe.....all of em were before daybreak. It was a full moon so they were moving at night instead of the morning. I didnt see a single animal after the sun came up. I was about 15yds from the first buck but there wasnt enough light to take a shot....then i started wondering if you're even able to shoot at a deer at night....i know you cant shine a light on them then shoot, but i was wondering if the half hour before sunrise and half hour after sunset law applies to this as well.

ah64id said:
You need a new scope if you threw it off with a tap...

If it was 4" high at 200 yards, thats not too bad, thats about dead on at 300ish, and about 3.5" high at 100 yards... So it comes down to what you are sighted in for, what round you are shooting, and how fast it is going....
The rifle was sighted at 100 yds.......the tap against the tree stand was pretty rough since i had the gun strapped over my shoulder and i hit it with my body force as i climbed the ladder...it hit the bottom of the stand base and jerked me back downward. Im shooting a 7mm 150grain Remington....I was told this morning that those bullets are pretty cheap quality for that type of shooting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ben76 said:
No deer yet, just a few hogs. I was stopped at the check station last night and a guy pulled up dragging the biggest hog I have ever seen behind his truck. It maxed out the 350# scale at the check station with only it's back legs in the air, and it's front shoulders and head still on the ground. It was probably between 450 and 500 pounds. The guy must have been in his 60s and was out squirel hunting. It started raining so he went back to his truck to dry the scope on his 22. He said the hog walked right up the road to him like it was going to attack him. I guess it's all about being at the right place at the right time.

I smelled wild hogs this morning for the first time.....I went with the intention of bringing one back since there is so many of em there and they're always under my feeder....BUT after smelling that thing this morning i was like daaaayum....I went ahead and let it pass....i dont know if it was the hogs or the javelinas that stunk so bad but either way i passed on that....

007 said:
I shot this 28" buck this year with my .338 ultramag @500 yards.
[/IMG]
You should check your scope mounts for tightness, A good scope mounted properly should not move from zero unless it fell out of the tree.

That thing is [email protected] amazing. 500 yards......and here i thought 203 yards was pushing it...guess i still have quite a bit to learn....either way im hooked....especially after seeing that.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Wild hogs smell, but not that bad.lol I think I heard somewhere that javalinas did smell pretty bad. I think It was on some hunting show. If you get a chance to shoot a hog, try and shoot a sow about a 100 pounds. The 3 I have gotten have been between 70 and 110. There not huge, but they taste a hell of a lot better than the big ones do.

·
Registered
533 Posts
hurley994 said:
That thing is [email protected] amazing. 500 yards......and here i thought 203 yards was pushing it...guess i still have quite a bit to learn....either way im hooked....especially after seeing that.
203 yards is pushing it depending on your equipment and situation. What i do is use 1 rifle and 1 load. I reload my own and know the ballistics of that rifle, not just from books but by actually shooting it in differen't conditions and distances. I am confident with shots out to 600 yards with a decent rest and mild winds.

Just remeber to never take the shot unless you know it will hit. Confidence is the secret to accuracy and it takes experience and practice to get that confidence. When you get the "fever" and your heart is pounding out adrenaline just take a time out and focus on making the shot. Visualize yourself doing it then calmly take the shot. When I go out hunting I tell my self that I am out to make the perfect shot not to get the perfect animal.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
007 said:
203 yards is pushing it depending on your equipment and situation. What i do is use 1 rifle and 1 load. I reload my own and know the ballistics of that rifle, not just from books but by actually shooting it in differen't conditions and distances. I am confident with shots out to 600 yards with a decent rest and mild winds.
Thats the same thing we do.. 500-600 for a big buck is no biggie... 800-1000 is doable for a big bull, providing they are in a large open area....

In order to be good at long range shooting you need to know how your rifle is shooting. You didnt answer my question about where it was 4" hi at

In order to shoot long ranges.. over 300 you need to know bullet speed, ballistic coefficant, range (w/in a couple yards) and trajectory... Shooting closer, under 300, you dont have to know as much. Mainly because the bullet path doesnt change much, depending on cartridge, and there are ranges with 300 yard tagerts, so you know where the bullet is hitting... Like I said.. 4" high at 100 yards is only about 1" higher than it needs to be to hit dead on around 300, based on cartridge and bullet speed. 4" high at 200 is only .5" high to be dead on at 300, again based on cartridge and bullet speed.

What you need to do is figure out how far your willing/need to shoot. Florida, I cant imagine a shot longer than 300 yards, but I havent hunted there. What is your most likly shot, or what do you want the point-shoot range to be. On our rifles the point shoot range is about 0-330, then the bullet gets out of a +/- 4" area, and you have to pay more attention to range. If you know your high, around 200 yards for us, and low (past 300) you can make small adjustments...

In order to be an effective and lethal hunter you need to know your where your round is hitting at what range. Tree stand hunting you can get a better feel for range, and probally dont need a laser range finder. But you do need to know the path of the bullet....

I am not able to hunt this year, well last year, due to my deployment. But here are some past photos. I did draw a goat tag for 2007 so I am STOAKED :D

pigs in bama, 05

bull in Idaho, 03

bull in Idaho, 02?? 509 yards

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Wow those are some nice animals harvested, great pics!

I too have shot right over the backs of deer a time or two, and 98% of the time is pyschological and not the gun.

During the civil war, a great percentage of the rifles picked up off the battle field had multiple balls, powder loads and wads stuffed in the barrels, not only that it was as safe on the front line as it was in the rear. Most humans have an aversion to killing, it requires a decision or "will" to kill. Another article I read a while back suggested that 50% of first time deer hunters got nauseated when they had to gut the deer. Don't underestimate your mind messing with your game.

Wally

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
WallyP226 said:
I too have shot right over the backs of deer a time or two, and 98% of the time is pyschological and not the gun.
We have all probally done it... I shot my first buck in the backbone, and broke its back, a full 9" above where I was "aiming".. it happens.... Lots of shooting is the best way to get used to it... and no there is no way to cure buck fever...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
25 Participants
kingston73
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing