TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to rattle can ( Krylon and/or Rustoleum) paint the truck.
Started by removing the front grill section, custom cut out the center sections... to put some basic mesh in instead, and sanded it all a bit, and several coats of flat black and some clear coat. Going to get on the sanding of the body very quickly.
I researched and ested several paints. I finally like the Rustoleum 7772 Putty (like a good desert tan) and the Rustoleum 7758 Almond, which is a tone lighter. Not sure if I am gonna use both. I will scuff up the truck, put a single primer on, then paint and probably put at least one coat of clear on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started the prep work... pain in the arrss, sanding and some light primer... I have 5 or 6 cans of primer, but I think I am just going to put a few light coats on for a textured finish look.
Or, is it best to put a heavy coat of primer on ??

... the desert tan color will start next....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
few more stage updates.... coming out really good so far. Tomorrow, will be done. Only 1 section had a drip. Otherwise... all good. I am thinking of a 2nd color to make camo design.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When spray painting a taco, does the end product look cheap and stupid, or is it a good paint job if done right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nearly done... mostly now some detail work. Man, this took about 13 cans of paint !! few more progress pics.... I really really love the color and how it looks.... exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I wouldnt have painted the handles/key holes, emblems, mirror housing, or sliders... Just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate chrome.... especially on a military camo style... painting all of that was the purpose.... there's only gonna be flat black and this camo tan. simple as pie.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its done. 2 days and 13 cans of Rustoleum 7772 Putty color paint and some light clear coat. I still have to repaint the front bumer and clean a few details... its about ready for the desert again though.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
paint the sliders, rear bumper and front light bar black and you'll be golden

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A year from now.... it will look just as good, my guess. Its a trail truck... and Rustoleum produces about 10 million cans of this paint a year, so if it needs touch up... so be it.... I had a new paint job, and it got thrashed running through brush and sun and desert runs. So... a bit of touch up here, a bit there... good as new....

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Nice work Picasso.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That looks really good dude. I agree with painting the chrome stuff, I hate it too. Some sort of turret perhaps now? Have a 50 cal laying around? lol Good job.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i cant even paint a bumper without giving my finger a break lol

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It'd look a lot better if you wet sanded it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts