TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Go to the other side of the island, to my hometown area. Kaneohe/ Kailua/ Waimanalo. Do the Stairway to Heaven. Bring some water and a snack, and for God's sake, your camera with good batteries in it. Above Kaneohe, to the south of the Likelike hwy (LickyLicky) is a botanical garden; can not remember the name. It's under the base of the Ko'olau mountain range. Some good trails up thru there.
Hike the hills above Punchbowl. Good hike.

You screwed up; should have been there over Presidents day. I would have had a blast hiking with someone. (I had wicked weather, so no real hard treks for me on this trip.)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Come to Kauai. I'll show you some trails.

You want to see where the Hawaiiains first arrived from Tahiti? How about the highest altitude swap in the world/wettest place on earth?

·
Registered
311 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Stairway To Heaven is closed to public from awhile back. Do not know about the reason, something about maintenance. Also, recently somebody from Big Island went hiking there by himself, went missing. But still have other places to hike.:D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Stairway To Heaven is closed to public from awhile back. Do not know about the reason, something about maintenance. Also, recently somebody from Big Island went hiking there by himself, went missing. But still have other places to hike.:D
been "closed" for decades but...:p
got about half way up when one of our group started having problems...couple years later he wound up having bypass [email protected] 39 :eek: we went around 15yrs ago.
turned out all the males in his family had the same problem.

Seems the the entire thing was repaired in '03 for nearly $1mil but they haven't figured out access yet, LOL

check this site and read the 2pg of comments
http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/attractions/stairwaytoheaven.php

There are a few different "legal" access points that don't require trying to bypass the guard :p

or not...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/21/haiku-stairs-closed_n_6714386.html

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to the other side of the island, to my hometown area. Kaneohe/ Kailua/ Waimanalo. Do the Stairway to Heaven. Bring some water and a snack, and for God's sake, your camera with good batteries in it. Above Kaneohe, to the south of the Likelike hwy (LickyLicky) is a botanical garden; can not remember the name. It's under the base of the Ko'olau mountain range. Some good trails up thru there.
Hike the hills above Punchbowl. Good hike.

You screwed up; should have been there over Presidents day. I would have had a blast hiking with someone. (I had wicked weather, so no real hard treks for me on this trip.)
Awesome thank you for the info!

Come to Kauai. I'll show you some trails.

You want to see where the Hawaiiains first arrived from Tahiti? How about the highest altitude swap in the world/wettest place on earth?
If only I could bring my truck over.

been "closed" for decades but...:p
got about half way up when one of our group started having problems...couple years later he wound up having bypass [email protected] 39 :eek: we went around 15yrs ago.
turned out all the males in his family had the same problem.

Seems the the entire thing was repaired in '03 for nearly $1mil but they haven't figured out access yet, LOL

check this site and read the 2pg of comments
http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/attractions/stairwaytoheaven.php

There are a few different "legal" access points that don't require trying to bypass the guard :p

or not...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/21/haiku-stairs-closed_n_6714386.html
Thanks for the info!

I'll be sure to look these places up!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I read that Stairway to Heaven was destroyed by the last big storm that hit Hawaii. A group of hikers were stranded there for a night because of it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I read that Stairway to Heaven was destroyed by the last big storm that hit Hawaii. A group of hikers were stranded there for a night because of it.
It was destroyed Valentines Day of this year. Prior to the storm, still get liability issues about running Stairway. Current City department that is in charge, either transfer stairs to different department, or remove it completely.😁

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
not destroyed at all. one section got hit by a slide and will have to be repaired. They've already spent nearly $1mil so repairing a 50' section won't be that big a deal. Removing it is estimated to cost over $3mil...and that's just a guess on their part (according to several articles)

·
Registered
311 Posts
not destroyed at all. one section got hit by a slide and will have to be repaired. They've already spent nearly $1mil so repairing a 50' section won't be that big a deal. Removing it is estimated to cost over $3mil...and that's just a guess on their part (according to several articles)
I get the impression you want to hike up there again?;) Me, I like high places, but that Stairway forget it, if I go high places prefer Mauna Kea and or Waipio Valley (both real steep)on my island.:D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I get the impression you want to hike up there again?;) Me, I like high places, but that Stairway forget it, if I go high places prefer Mauna Kea and or Waipio Valley (both real steep)on my island.:D
would love to!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang! Any other "cool" things to do? Food places to recommend?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dang! Any other "cool" things to do? Food places to recommend?
Apologize. The place I talking about Mauna Kea and Waipio Valley are located on the Big Island (where I live) and these places you have to go with 4WD, not AWD chit. Also, I clarify! I not recommend you go hike Stairway, it's "closed for a reason" regardless if busted stairs get repaired.;) If you go hiking go with group, somebody went all by himself, went missing, don't know what happened. As for food places, there is Japanese restaurant called Gyotaku Restaurant, address: 1824 S. King St. Honolulu, HI 96826, it is located in town. They have restaurants in other locations on Oahu, but I only ate at King St. locale.:D

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apologize. The place I talking about Mauna Kea and Waipio Valley are located on the Big Island (where I live) and these places you have to go with 4WD, not AWD chit. Also, I clarify! I not recommend you go hike Stairway, it's "closed for a reason" regardless if busted stairs get repaired.;) If you go hiking go with group, somebody went all by himself, went missing, don't know what happened. As for food places, there is Japanese restaurant called Gyotaku Restaurant, address: 1824 S. King St. Honolulu, HI 96826, it is located in town. They have restaurants in other locations on Oahu, but I only ate at King St. locale.:D
Just looked the place up! I will bookmark that location :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts