TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have used the metal gas cans in the past. I don't have an aftermarket bumper with gas can storage right now but if I got one would also like to get cans that are the correct size for most bumper carriers.

So I think the Scepters are the way to go.

Everyone says to ditch the EPA spouts, and get the Scepter spout kits and the Scepter closed caps.

Are the add on vents a good idea? If they don't make a big difference I would rather not drill the cans.

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had my EMPTY old style nozzle 5 gallon plastic walmart can stolen from the back of my truck! I couldn't figure why until I went to get a replacement and spent the next 6 hours researching ways around the EPA spouts.
I have two Scepter 20L MFCs arriving next week! I also went ahead and bought the aluminum flange for the caps and new gaskets, and the cap wrench, made by some guy in Florida so I should be good to go. A basic cable lock will have to suffice, not risking losing these...

In my research I decided to just build a spout using PVC and flex tubing as the threads are standard pipe. It's cheap and functions all the same. It sounds like you have old style screw cap jerry cans, the threads from what I hear are the same as the Scepter internal threads so the PVC option may work. Look at the design of the Scepter MFC internal vent, if you build a spout for your metal can you might be able to add a vent hose to the PVC via a brass barb and avoid drilling your cans at all. For the $10 in parts it's worth a try.

·
Registered
215 Posts
JEGS sells Metal jerry cans without safety BS.

LINK
Not legal for sale in the US (federal EPA law). They'll probably let you get through checkout and then they cancel your order. I received two new Scepter MFCs today, they'd had diesel in them but still have the manufacturer inspection stickers and they look new. Also got new viton gaskets and the aluminum flanges just in case as one is a gift for pops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts