TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been dealing with a bad vibration on my truck for a while. Spent all kinds of time trying to balance the tires. Never thought that the problem was coming from my driveshaft. The U-joint on the rear of the drive shaft was completely waisted. Only took about 45 minutes tops to fix. the old U-joint was shot, now for the question. Was it a bad idea to replace it with a non greasable u-joint it was a cheapy from autozone but it definetly did the trick. Just wondering if anybody else has done this.

·
Registered
455 Posts
shootertg said:
Been dealing with a bad vibration on my truck for a while. Spent all kinds of time trying to balance the tires. Never thought that the problem was coming from my driveshaft. The U-joint on the rear of the drive shaft was completely waisted. Only took about 45 minutes tops to fix. the old U-joint was shot, now for the question. Was it a bad idea to replace it with a non greasable u-joint it was a cheapy from autozone but it definetly did the trick. Just wondering if anybody else has done this.
yes, you definately want the greasable ones, especially if you do any kind of wheeling. Since they were so cheap and you know how to do it yourself, pick up a spare set of greasable ones to keep with you, just in case. Chances are you should be able to get some mileage out of the ones you have now though.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, the greasable ones are much much better... But then again I had a rear non-greasable one go for 25k of some really wet/dirty wheeling(no deep mud though).

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
when possible always choose greasable fittings over sealed joints. But with that said and like others have said, you will get some life out of the ones you have on now. No need to immediately swap them out. Just get you some spares and be prepared for when they go out again 25k to 50k miles down the road, or on the trail if you wheel hard.

I have used both greasable and sealed u joints in the past with no ill effects.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have drilled and tapped the non greasable u-joints to install grease fittings in them before; easy and works great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I bought a greasable ujoint from autozone and after I put it on it wound up being a non greasable joint. The zerk was in the elbow of the joint and after I put it in I realized I couldnt get a grease gun to it. I'm gonna take it off over break and put another one in cause I usaully drive 200 miles non stop at 70 to 75 mph, it would kinda suck to have that go out an the interstate. john did you put a zerk in every cap? You would have to since there is no passage way in the non greasable ones to get to the others if you just put it in one cap. Thanks

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
U-joints are not a good place to try and save $$$. Spicer or factory Toyo only for me.

If it fails on the trail, it can damage the associated yokes; that can turn into a pretty bad day, depending on what spares you carry.

·
Registered
982 Posts
All of the non-greasable ones I've done that to, had passages, but were not drilled for a grease fitting. If the ones you have do not have grease passages, then you can not install a grease fitting.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I havent ever had my hands on a non grasable one so to speak, if you count this one. I'm just gonna run the warrenty out, untill about a week or so before and swap it out. I would hate for it to tear my yokes up, that is mainly the only reason I'm swappin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts