TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
22RE top end rebuild thread w/ pics

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a mechanic on the west side of town that knows 22re motors.

My '92 pick up took a dump on me yesterday driving home from Casa Grande (heavy knocking, total loss of power, runs very ruff). I know I can get a new engine swapped in by the engine builders in Glendale for $2500, but I'm not sure if that's needed.

Can someone point me to a competent mechanic that won't try and rip me off.

Thanks in advance.

PS I'm not mechanically inclined enough to diagnose and wrench on this my self and this is my DD so I need to act fast.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Not really a mechanic per say, but I would get a hold of Uriel "Merman". Pretty sure he spends his weekdays working over at Fly'n Hi on the west side. He knows the early motors pretty well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NO ONE SHOULD EVER USE "The Engine Builders"!!!! They are the worst shop in the valley. I had an engine re-built by them and it blew again in a month. They tried saying it was my fault because I didn't replace the radiator cap. Spent 6 months going back and forth with them and BBB. 2200 down the drain....

I flag their ad on craigslist as often as I can...

·
Registered
27 Posts
where are you located? im at 51st and cactus and can diagnos it for you. been a mechanic for 20 years. give me a buzz or text. four 80 688 eight 294
bryan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Taylor call Glider he will hook you up and get it done right and he even does glass ain't that some shit a true one stop shop

Hey Bryan :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Rick, long time brother.

Glider, wish I would have seen this sooner. I had to get this thing going so I took into Yota Pro's down in Tempe. Talked to them a couple of times and they seemed reasonable and fair.

Right now I'm leaning towards replacing the truck, it's just small and doesn't really meet my needs.

If anyone is looking to sell or knows of someone selling a 1995-2004 tacoma 4x4 v6 let me know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I heard those YotaPro techs are a bunch of washed out dealership hacks that aren't qualified to check tire pressure. :flipoff4:

A good wheeling and fishing buddy of mine is a tech over there. He's a member on here somewhere too. That's the only place we take my wife's Tacoma for service.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sick ass build dude, if I had the coin or room in the budget I'd be all over that like a fly on sugar. I'm looking for something in the $6500-$9000 range and something that I can put about 1000lbs in the bed of the truck and make it home (been carrying a lot of steel lately).

www.shooterselement.com just saying, it's a fun hobby ;)

I heard those YotaPro techs are a bunch of washed out dealership hacks that aren't qualified to check tire pressure. :flipoff4:

A good wheeling and fishing buddy of mine is a tech over there. He's a member on here somewhere too. That's the only place we take my wife's Tacoma for service.
Well that's good to know, I just got the quote $1.5K-$2K parts and labor :(, head gasket is toast and I think I need to have the timing chain replaced...

I'm considering doing it myself, anyone have a good shop that I can do an exchange on a 22re head? Or is this one of those things that you have to have your head machined.

Either way, please send me suggestions...

I have the Haynes/Chilton manual, will that be enough for me to follow to get the job done right?

How much you looking to get for your blown up one?
I need a simple little pick up.
PM in bound

·
Registered
27 Posts
you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined.
sucks I just sold a extra head. I would at least get your head machined.
if you don't feel like doing it let me know and I can help you out.

I have heard nothing but good stuff from yotapros but if your like me im always on a budget. sht you can get a complete long block for 1200 off of craigslist

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined.
sucks I just sold a extra head. I would at least get your head machined.
if you don't feel like doing it let me know and I can help you out.

I have heard nothing but good stuff from yotapros but if your like me im always on a budget. sht you can get a complete long block for 1200 off of craigslist

Yeah, im thinking of just buying a brand new one and putting it in...hmmm

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks Nate I'm actually fully certified in tire pressure inspection!

I diagnosed that truck to the point of knowing the headgasket was blown between cyl 3 and 4. Because of the mileage of the motor and the knocking we suggested a motor. If your looking to do the work yourself it may be worth pulling the head and seeing what you have going on. Worst case you're out a few hours of work

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Nate I'm actually fully certified in tire pressure inspection!

I diagnosed that truck to the point of knowing the headgasket was blown between cyl 3 and 4. Because of the mileage of the motor and the knocking we suggested a motor. If your looking to do the work yourself it may be worth pulling the head and seeing what you have going on. Worst case you're out a few hours of work
Thanks, that's me. I was hoping it would be a smaller fix but hope is for those with new cars lol.

So when I talked with the guys up front on the phone they were talking head gasket replacement...and that's what I got a quote on, not a new motor. Must have been some miscommunication from you and the font? Why did you suspect a new motor would be needed, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess I assumed. I presented it to them as tear down and inspect or replace the whole motor. I assumed they suggested a motor when they mentioned you were thinking about replacing it yourself.

Quite often on the 22r's we find cracked heads and with the milage on the bottom end and timing chain a new motor may save you some money and headache

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I assumed. I presented it to them as tear down and inspect or replace the whole motor. I assumed they suggested a motor when they mentioned you were thinking about replacing it yourself.

Quite often on the 22r's we find cracked heads and with the milage on the bottom end and timing chain a new motor may save you some money and headache
Awe, that makes sense. I was looking around for reman engines and it was going to be more than just replacing the head, gaskets, timing chain, oil pump and water pump. Figured that should do it for sometime until someone else replaces or changes the lower.

I really appreciate the feedback, you guys were great to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to come back or send people your way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm getting ready to dig into this thing and the chilton manual is saying that you have to remove the oil pan to change the timing belt, water pump and oil pump??? All the writeups and videos I've watched I've not see that happen. Is there a workaround to avoid dropping the oil pan?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
10 Participants
Masada
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing