TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently moved to Portland (and should change my user name to Oregon4x4) and haven't had a chance to get out wheeling yet. My girlfriend and I are going camping this weekend and would like to find a fun trail within a few hours of Portland. Any input? We'll be a solo rig so nothing too hardcore, but my truck is fairly capable (33s, rear locker, protection). I'd appreciate getting pointed in the right direction! Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hello. Which part of Colorado did you come from. I used to do a lot of wheeling there.

Easiest, closest, and most diverse place to go is Tillamook State Forest. It is off Hwy 6 west of Forest Grove towards Tillamook. I strongly suggest picking up a map. You can get a map and your OHV permit (required) at the Shell station on the way out there. You should be able to handle all the moderate trails. Camping at Browns camp is the most convenient but you can do the primative camping out there if you like.

Here is a like to the map but you will see that it is useless on your home printer so you need to get a full size map.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/docs/08docs/08_OHVGuidemap.pdf

·
Registered
183 Posts
We rolled out there today and some of it is shut down for logging operations. The couple of trails we ran we fairly easy. Any stock rig and perhaps my honda accord would not have struggled much. I only had half a day to look around and also had no map. I have heard there are some decent trails. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, get a map. I went back up there last weekend and some of the trails have changed. There are many that are pretty challenging for a stock truck. I run a solid axle Tacoma with 35's and lockers but some are still fun. I found a couple that are pretty tight quarters through the trees. I have taken mine through some of the difficult trails when I ran 32's and IFS but you really have to watch the bigger rocks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Generally Firebreak 5 and all of Archers (except Can opener and water fall section) are doable stock with a rear locker. Some trails now have a "gate". This is the line of rocks on each side. They keep the full size rigs out. I think the only place these are are on Hogs back and Rocky UpHill section of Archers.

I'd go out and show people around but my truck is in hibernation for the winter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, Jason is right. I went trough some of the trails with "gates" at each end. Pretty cool. Hibernation? What mods are you doing now Jason? It's been a long time. We should get out and do some trails again when you are ready:)

Mark

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You can take that brown's camp PDF map into Kinko's or other print shop and print the b&w version for about $2-3, it is better in color, probably around $15 or so to print 18x24.

I would suggest that you not wheel alone. What self recovery gear do you have? Just be prepared... Not much Cel coverage out in the boonies.

·
Registered
501 Posts
when anybody is heading out that way. post up. ill drop just about anything to go. but right now in the winter alot of the trails are closed. sand lake and grants pass are still opperational tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts