TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

Originally from the CO Springs area, finally got back! Just moved back from TN. Sold the '04 Taco and just picked up an '06 Trd with 6" ProComp Lift, ARB front and rear bumpers, Bushmaster flares...Looking into getting some rock sliders here soon...any recommendations? One possibly with a step-old lady is like 5'-. Excited to take her out and see how she does and begin the list of what she needs. Anyway suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and let me know when ya guys are planning to go out. Pics coming soon.. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Welcome back, you're just in time for winter! :cool:

As for getting out, some of us almost went to Wheeler Lake today; read all about it in the trip reports thread. I was without a running/intact rig for 4 years and I picked up my 4Runner in July, so I go out as much as I can. Usually on Sundays so people who work Saturdays can still wheel.

For sliders, are you looking for bolt-on or weld-on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know man Im stoked! I missed this damn place so much! And that would be awesome man, I work saturdays so sunday or mondays for me. As for sliders, im not sure. I like the idea or weld on, however i hear they can sometimes wear into the pinch welds causing excess, annoying noise. Plus I hear weld on is a pain in the butt to maintain and clean...Also the truck is sitting on 18" pro comp wheels(I think I might try to trade for some 17"s unless these 18s wont be a problem). Has LT305/70-18 ProComp Xtreme MT2's. Thinking I might have some trouble up there with the mudders?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I like the idea or weld on, however i hear they can sometimes wear into the pinch welds causing excess, annoying noise. Plus I hear weld on is a pain in the butt to maintain and clean.
Welded sliders can wear on the pinch welds and that's not a huge deal, structurally speaking. You can smack up the pinch welds with a hammer to add a touch of room before installation, or notch them to fit too. How do you maintain sliders? Weld them on and go... :welder: They're chunks of metal made for beating across rocks; maybe I'm missing something here.

I think your mud tires would do fine as long as they're aired down to 10 or so. My front tires are thin and Zach's are half bald; we did okay Sunday. I think mine were at 8 more than 10psi though; I just took out the valve core and counted 30 seconds or so. Works mostly every time. Like 60% of the time, it works all the time. If not, we have winches and tow straps and beer.

:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Works mostly every time. Like 60% of the time, it works all the time. If not, we have winches and tow straps and beer.

:D
Hahaha say no more im in!

And yea I didnt think they was any "maintaining them" besides maybe checking the welds every now and then, or checking bolts in a bolt on application. Yea im not worried about the pinch welds getting smashed or anything, just heard from a couple people, granted people that I assumed had no idea what was even coming out of their mouth, that they can be loud and annoying. These individuals are the same that told me maintaining them was a pain. I was wondering what maintenance was required besides the above stated but yea haha. So that being said, weld on rock slider suggestions?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn dude that is a beefy mounting point. And low profile too. I like em. Nicely done wakkjob! Shit looks way better than the trail gear ones I been looking at...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Thanks! Bet I'm cheaper too! I work for food, beer, parts and money... not in that order though. :D

If you end up getting steel to make some, go to Glaser Steel on the west side. Hwy 24 and 31st street to the south. Their prices are always cheaper than anywhere else in town and they're just cool to deal with, if you ask me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice ill have to check em out...Although there is a shitload of steel at work just sitting in the back...doubt anyone would notice if a couple pieces went mia. And im sure you are cheaper haha. Shit they wanted like $370 at 4wheel parts for install and all. Trail Gear has em on their site for like 2 something...And nice I would be willing to bring beer, food, cash, hell whatever ya want. OR if you got any bikes/quads/watercrafts id trade ya labor for labor...shit you just let me know man

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
My 4Runner is my only off-road vehicle; I don't have small toys. :cool:

PM me when you get steel and a design in mind; we'll get it sorted out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on bro appreciate it. I'll hit ya up here shortly and see if we can't make this happen. Otherwise I will see you on the 8th run I believe.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
We're going up on the 9th; if you go up the 8th camp overnight and we'll meet you there... :lmao:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
wakkjobb
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing