TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running C rated 285 / 75R / 16 Duratracs for a while. Did not have a lot of miles on them as the truck has been parked and pulled out only for camping / hunting trips.

The on road manners were much improved over the Bridgestone MT's I used to run, yet still aggressive enough for what I wanted in a tire. Thought I had found my new tire.

A recent trip to AZ for an elk hunt netted me THREE blown sidewalls. One was a puncture with a 3/8 diameter stick (a stick!), and two others were blown on rocks, sidewall gashes from 2 to 4 inches. I wasn't driving as hard as I normally do either. I could not believe it. I've driven thousands of miles on these same roads, same rocks, and have NEVER had a single flat with other tires...in over 10 years of off roading, two sets of Bridgestone MT's and a set of Firestone MT's.

I've since seen a couple posts about guys complaining about the weak sidewalls on the Duratracs resulting in sidewall punctures.

Does anyone have experience with the E rated Duratracs? I'm wondering if the sidewalls on those can actually perform in the rocks, or if the Duratracs are a lost cause no matter the sidewall plies.

In the absence of that, I'm looking for a tire that can put up with some rock punishment. I may just go BFG AT's, but wanted to get something a little more aggressive for dealing with the mud, but yet still had some siping for better on road performance.

Suggestions?

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
I run the E rated versions with no issues.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been running E-rated 235/85/16 Duratracs since last summer. I four-wheel quite a bit, including a trip to Moab since then, and have not had any sidewall issues. I previously had C-rated 245/75/16 Duratracs for three years and noticed some minor slices in the sidewall rubber, but no failures.

·
9,051 Posts
Goodyear Kevlars.
Problems solved.
If you can find them in stock or wait.... :(
They were my first choice.... I plan to order a set next year to replace my DuraTRACs. Then remount the DuraTRACs as highway tires.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
If you can find them in stock or wait.... :(
They were my first choice.... I plan to order a set next year to replace my DuraTRACs. Then remount the DuraTRACs as highway tires.
With as little miles you put on your truck, I'd say just sell the duratracs after you get the kevlars. The kevlars are a great highway tire.
I got 45k out of my first set.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Check the Silent Armors if you don't want to wait for MTRs; they're chunky but are Kevlar as well. Heavy as shit though; and keep them rotated or they'll get cupped to hell fast.

Worked for Goodyear for several years, so I'm not just blowing smoke.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went with the Goodyear MTR's. They'll go on Monday. I know they won't perform as well as the Duratracs on the street, but the truck largely stays parked and only gets 5k to 10k a year as it is, and is primarily an off roader.

Looking forward to trying them out. Loved the Duratracs, but 3 sidewall punctures / gashes in one trip (on the Duratracs alone, plus another on a brand new AT tire I bought) has me so gun shy now, I just can't do it again (even with the America's tire certificates for repair / replacement). Losing 4 tires and having to make two 130 mile round trips to the nearest tire shop to pick up overpriced chitty 2 ply AT's is no fun. I fully expect, from what I've read, that the MTR's will perform great on the rocks.

My remaining concern, and one I could not find any info on, is does this tire have a tendency to want to climb out of hard ruts? I've run several different tires on this rig, and loved the Bridgestone MT's. Great tire...until they stopped making it. After that I went with a Firestone MT, and that tire drove me freakin' bonkers in the shallow dry ruts because of its tendency to "shoot out" of the ruts at every opportunity. Replaced those with the Duratracs with 1/2 of the tread remaining because of it. The Firestone MT's were extremely aggravating when doing a lot of driving on dry, rutted roads. All other tires I've had would ride comfortably in the rut, but the Firestones side biters would catch hold and whip the truck right out of them. With the aggressive side biters on the Goodyear MT, I'm hoping this is not an issue.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It is a tradeoff. Being able to climb out of ruts can be a good thing. I actually like that feature on mud tires.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I got some of the new MTR's put on yesterday. I almost fell over when the guy said he had them in stock so I didn't hesitate and got em. As they say, strike when the iron is hot. I was planning to wait a month or so to get them. I only hope I like them as much as I did the old design MTRs. Everyone says they're good but time will tell the story.
They look badass but I've had badass looking tires that weren't worth crap. SSRs the worst POS tire ever made or foisted onto the public.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the new tires on yesterday.

Was pleasantly surprised to find out after I'd arrived at the store that the tires they had delivered from the warehouse over 100 miles away, which were the only ones available in the area, were all black letters. Thought the all black option was a special order deal with the sizes below 35", and had resigned myself to running OWL out. Did not like the idea of white letters out, but after a lot of research and reading opinions, had decided mounting the tires as designed was the way to go. As it turns out, I didn't have to sweat it.

Sidewalls are beefy! Beefier than even the D rated Firestone MT spare I had taken off, which were a beast of a tire in the rocks, and considerably stronger than the Duratracs. Don't know how strong the sidewalls are on the E rated Duratracs, but the C rated Duratracs are a complete joke for an "off road" tire. No wonder I had 3 sidewall failures on them. I swear, it felt like I could poke a dull pencil through them without much difficulty. I would not run them again on anything short of a dedicated street vehicle that maybe saw a little snow and occasional improved dirt track road type driving. Never again for something that sees anything even remotely resembling a rock or moderate off road use. Very glad I did not take a chance on the E rated Duratracs now.

Tire shop put in 35lbs, and ride is a bit stiffer, but not as terrible as I'd anticipated. Anxious to get them out in the dirt and see how they handle the dry rutted roads. I do not anticipate they'll have any issues in any other area performance wise.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
35 lbs. sounds like a bit much. I suggest you do as I intend to and run a chalk test to find out where you should be for sure. I think mine look a tad over inflated at 30lbs. which is where I ran the old MTRs. Of course we're running different tire sizes and it depends on your weight and load but I think 35 is a bit much and you'll wear out the center tread while having compromised traction and a rougher ride. Gas mileage isn't everything especially which how much these things cost.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had 285/75/16E Duratracs for 2 weeks. Biggest piece of shit tire ever. Even at 40 psi, the truck felt like it had marshmallows for on each corner. Almost rolled on some easy fire roads at <25mph speeds, and zero traction in the snow. Sidewalls were like a lasagna noodle.

Discount swapped them out for some Yokohama Geolandar AT/S. Bought another set since then. Best tire I've ever used. I'll never touch a Goodyear product again. Only Japanese tires belong on a Japanese truck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had 285/75/16E Duratracs for 2 weeks. Biggest piece of shit tire ever. Even at 40 psi, the truck felt like it had marshmallows for on each corner. Almost rolled on some easy fire roads at <25mph speeds, and zero traction in the snow. Sidewalls were like a lasagna noodle.
I didn't mind the on road handling much (after running MT's the last 10 years). They were a definite improvement in the rain and ice over the MT's, but that was the only plus. At this point I can't even say the Duratracs were quieter than the MTR's (will probably change once the MTR's get some miles on them though).

I wish the Duratracs weren't so new to the market when I got them, and there was more real world information about them available when I bought. Biggest tire mistake I've ever made. I've run BFG AT's, Bridgestone MT's (awesome tires), Firestone MT's, among others. Duratracs "looked good", like a nice bridge between and AT and MT, but "looks" are about all that tire is about. Fair street manners with an "off road" look. I mean, hell, I lost a sidewall and tire to a small WET STICK! Could I have chalked that off to a freak thing? Maybe...if I'd have not lost 2 more sidewalls to small rocks in the following few days. A little mud and a little rock is the "perfect storm" for this tire. Duratrac kryptonite.

Those things had less than 15k on them, even though I've had them for about 4 years. Still looked damn near new. Expensive lesson learned. IMO, and sorry for those still running them and who like them, but the Duratrac is an off road tire FAIL. At least in the C rated version. Will hold judgment on the E's as I've not run them...not that I plan to. Confidence gone. Hopefully this new set of Goodyears will restore my faith. Judging by the sidewalls, I think I'm safe. If not, maybe I'll beg Bridgestone to bring back their MT.

My advice to those who want to run them, is to make certain you spend the extra coin to get the certificates for repair or replacement, AND do not ever wheel them in a location where you will be in for a long stay or a long walk out if and when you have more failures than spares...because it's a definite possibility.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
That hasn't been my experiance at all. I'm running the same size tire at 35psi and drive over a winding grade every day at speeds of up to 60mph, I've never felt unsafe or noticed any weird handling with these tires. I was also impressed with how they handled in ice and snow, I could keep it in 2wd longer than with any other agressive tire I've owned, they were all m/t's though (trxus mt, cooper stt2 and goodyear mt/r.

I am having issues with balancing although it's possible that its something else causing the shaking steering wheel. I also wouldn't doubt that the sidewalls aren't as tough as some other comparable tires but I know a guy that took his 4runner to the rubicon with the same tire and didn't have a tire failure.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The Rubicon has rounded water eroded smooth rocks. Haul that shit out to AZ or down to Johnson Valley then see how they hold up. The rocks are like razors there.

That hasn't been my experiance at all. I'm running the same size tire at 35psi and drive over a winding grade every day at speeds of up to 60mph, I've never felt unsafe or noticed any weird handling with these tires. I was also impressed with how they handled in ice and snow, I could keep it in 2wd longer than with any other agressive tire I've owned, they were all m/t's though (trxus mt, cooper stt2 and goodyear mt/r.

I am having issues with balancing although it's possible that its something else causing the shaking steering wheel. I also wouldn't doubt that the sidewalls aren't as tough as some other comparable tires but I know a guy that took his 4runner to the rubicon with the same tire and didn't have a tire failure.

·
9,051 Posts
The guys running the inflation at 35psi or more, YOU ARE NOT DRIVING SAFE.
That is too much air pressure.
Remember, when the tire get hot, the air pressure will INCREASE, due to the heat.
You should be running between 30-33 psi to be safe.
I run the E-rated DURAtracs and never felt I had bad handling on the highway.
The same on the trails in Gilmer, I ran them at 13-14 psi... with zero issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts