TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting pretty close to new tire time. I'll most likely replace within the month or there abouts. Now for the question. Goodyear mtr or BFG mt? They will be 35". So, pros and cons of each? I'm not a hard core offroader but definitely will show my tires some terrain. Which do better on road, or are they pretty comprable? Which are more costly? I think thats all for the questions. If I didnt ask, I would stay with the mtr because its what I have now and dont really have any complaints but I also dont have anything to compare them to. Sorry if this thread is out there but I did do some searching.

·
Registered
622 Posts
if it were me i would stick with what i was happy with...if u have no complaints why mess up a good thing...just my .02

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Why not try the BFG just to try something new? MT Baja MTZ, SS Trxxus, Maxxis (whatzitcalled?Bighorn?) MT, etc.

The BFG's are really quiet for an MT IMO. They tend to weigh the least in a given tire size, decent mileage.

On the downside the sidewall is weaker in comparison to the MTR, though I never had any problems.

:2cents: I think Im gonna try the MTZ next.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Having been a 35" MTR owner for a while now. I would say get the BFG's. The MTR's don't balance for shit! Also MTR's suck in the mud/snow. I know someone that has 35" BFG MT'S and he is very happy with them after having the same size MTR's that wouldn't balance.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
The BFG's are really quiet for an MT IMO. They tend to weigh the least in a given tire size, decent mileage.

On the downside the sidewall is weaker in comparison to the MTR,
x2

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
The MT/R isn't a mud terrain, is more costly, is not as good on road, and likely won't last as long.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I currently have 30k on my MT/Rs and they still have over a 1/4 inch of tread left. If I can get them for a decent price I will be running them in the 35" variety next, but if not I am going to try the Mickey Thompson MTZ or the Maxxis Bighorn in the 35".

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i have the bfg's and i am very happy with the performance and durability they have given me. i have had them on my truck for maybe 60K miles and they still have useable tread on them. they are alot more quiet on the road and they do much better in the mud than mtr's.

they mtr's are loud, hard to balance, and suck ass in any type of mud that i have seen them in. in my experience, they dont last as long as the bfg's either. they are also more expensive. one upside to having them is that i have heard that they are good in the rocks. other than that, it should be an easy answer of which tire to go with

·
Registered
111 Posts
mt/r's. i dont know what your guys' issues with balancing em are? i've had 3 sets from 32-35...and they balance perfectly each time. maybe its coz they're on oem alloys and not paperweight doorstop steelies...

i've seen too many bfg's come of beads, and tear apart sidewalls. if youre anywhere near rocks..definitely MT/R. but since you've already got em, if you want to try something different...dont go bfg. go something like toyo's or mickey's. if i were to switch from something other than the mt/r...it be an interco flavoured tire

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've had both, and MTR's are definitly more durable and look cooler IMHO. It must depend on who is balancing them because I have had horrible luck getting any BFG to balance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had both, and MTR's are definitly more durable and look cooler IMHO. It must depend on who is balancing them because I have had horrible luck getting any BFG to balance.
Yeah my spare is a BFG MT and it came without a wheel and when I got it put on, the dude couldnt balance it....then he got another guy who did it first try.

So MTR is not so good in mud but MT is not so good on rock? That sucks. Why isn't there a good combo tire, or is there? Fellow Coloradans have any input on what is good for what will be encountered? Im guessing you'll say mtr since we are a rocky and usually dry state.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I've had no problems at all with 35" MT/Rs and balancing. Eight ounces of dyna beads in each tire and life is good.

Later,
....Mike
I will be using those for my new 37's. :D Just 10oz per tire.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I did notice a BIG improvement in Moab when going from a 33x10.5 BFG M/T, and a 255/85-16 BFG M/T. I had tons more traction with the bigger diameter 255. Anyway, either the MTR or BFG are good tires, for sure get the "Road Hazard" if you get the BFG's though.:2cents:

·
Registered
508 Posts
:D No, I meant the "Extra" warranty coverage you can get. If you F'UP a tire they replace it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts