TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone have a Gopro and how do you like it for rock crawling? I was going to buy a video camera before our Moab trip and thought about a gopro. I'm just not sure if I will like it since for the most part rock crawling is a slow sport.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Eric (mayhem) used one for the takeover last year. Did a time lapse of drive from Denver to bv that was cool. The trail footage was good, too. You can also use it as a handheld. There used 2 b a video by him of the whole takeover, but its not up anymore.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
You can switch between video and time-lapse; it'd also be neat to point it at suspension to see articulation and whatnot. The battery seems to last a good while, the 170* wide-angle is pretty rad and you can get huge memory cards (32g or more) as well. It also takes huge pictures; 1920x1080 is the largest and 848x480 (slow-motion) is the smallest.

Yes, I am looking at the user's manual... :cool:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I love mine! I've taken 20-25 hours of wheeling video with mine. The best feature is it being waterproof / dustproof. You need a decent computer to edit the video, just a heads up. I have the Hero HD. The Hero HD 2 came out two weeks after I bought mine. I was pissed. I've taken video with both the Hero HD and the HD 2 and the HD 2 takes better video and pictures. I'd recommend the Hero 2.

I mostly shoot in 720, 60 FPS (frames per second), 170 degrees of FOV (field of view). I don't really like the full 170 degrees but that's the only setting that 720 60 FPS lets you in the Hero HD.

For other stuff, I shoot in full 1080. I really like the 127 degrees FOV look. Just depends on what you are shooting.

Here's some of my GoPro videos
http://www.volcom.rockfrogs.org/Chinamans-1-14-12/Chinamans-1-14-12.mpg
527mb - Right click and save as please

http://volcom.rockfrogs.org/Carnage-11-19-11/BV-Carnage-11-19-11.mp4
High Def - 1 GB - Right click and save as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOtZqETIidU

Let me know if you have any questions. I use mine a ton. I take it sledding with my kids, snowboarding with the wife, used it to video my daughter's basketball games, etc.....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Forgot to add, they are made to be a POV (point of view) camera so they don't have a zoom lens. You have to be fairly close to the object you are filming to get decent results. Also, you have to have a steady hand (mono or tripod is way better) to film by hand. The audio sucks on these cameras, just a heads up. In fact, mine stopped recording audio so it's going to be headed back to GoPro for warranty work. For filming just wheeling and snowboarding, I could go without the audio. But I do use it on my kids stuff so I need the audio.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I love my GoPro. Still need to put more mounts in various locations. You've gotta be up close and personal to what you want to shoot (no zoom). If shooting by hand I'd recommend buying or making an extension/stabalizer.

As you can see in my vids (check my signature) it gets bouncy by hand....still gotta make one myself.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys! Aaron Ill call you tonight and maybe talk a little more about it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! Aaron Ill call you tonight and maybe talk a little more about it.
Yeah, I'm around tonight. Call whenever. Later is usually better though.

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the trigger. Gopro will be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It came yesterday! Now I need to try and find time before the trip to learn how to use it. After our trip I will be picking Aaron's brain for video editing tips! Never played with video editing but it looks fun!

·
7,735 Posts
Never played with video editing but the process looks long and tedious!
fify :D

You might want to make a cheat sheet with all the setup abbreviations and what they really mean. That's probably the single most frustrating thing with the go-pro is making a small change to the resolution or something.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

He bought the LCD screen so when he used the camera with the screen, it spells out in English the setttings. Without the LCD screen, you need the instructions or the cheat sheet I posted.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts