TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well we(our family) went to the humane society today and picked up a Austrailian Shepard. havent thought of a name for it yet, but here are some pics...

taking a bath and not happy about it LOL

·
Registered
947 Posts
Awesome. Love it when people take the ones in need instead of breeding/buying new ones. We had 4 of these growing up when we were kids. All from the same litter that was left on our land. They ended up being the best dogs we have ever had. Even R.T. was better than most dogs. My grandfather named him that (Re-
T​
ard) becuse he jumped out of the truck @ 50 to chase a rabbit. Caught it too! All were smart as hell, and did what you aksed of them. Nice dog, good luck with it. Thanks for helping out the humane society too. Looks to be female??

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, she has been good for the couple of hours we have had her. ...except she isnt house broken yet and just took a shit downstairs, just finished cleaning that up :mad:

...haha yeah its a female

·
Registered
947 Posts
gregers05 said:
thanks man, she has been good for the couple of hours we have had her. ...except she isnt house broken yet and just took a shit downstairs, just finished cleaning that up :mad:

...haha yeah its a female

Yep, hard to housebreak them when they are in those jail cells at the pound. Smart breed, should not take long. Good luck with it! Was it at least hard?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol it better learn that the house is not the place to shit haha. ...and no it was not hard damn it! its going to the vet tomarro, it has the "kenel cough" too.

·
Registered
947 Posts
gregers05 said:
lol it better learn that the house is not the place to shit haha. ...and no it was not hard damn it! its going to the vet tomarro, it has the "kenel cough" too.
Well, just wait until you step into a hot steamy pile in the middle of the night. It will mush up between the toes. Get her healthy, and adjusted to the new house. As she gets comfortable, I think she will learn really fast to crap outside.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
My parents have an Australian Shepard on their farm, awesome dog. She is so damn smart it's scary. Give him/her plenty of room to romp and he/she'll keep you happy for years.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Cool pup! Looks like 11-12 weeks. I have a 3yr old aussie/border. Be warned, she will need all of the excercise you can giver her, and just when you think she's worn out, she'll come ask for more.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Breathegood said:
Cool pup! Looks like 11-12 weeks. I have a 3yr old aussie/border. Be warned, she will need all of the excercise you can giver her, and just when you think she's worn out, she'll come ask for more.
Correct, as I stated above.. :D

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Breathegood said:
x3 on this and Tacocrazy have to say. Our Aussie 'Reese' is very smart. He was potty trained after a month or so. We put a bell by the back door, he rings that thing nice and loud when he need to go out..that helps a lot. A 9 PM he just heads for his crate everynight. Smarter than some people I know :p Seems like he herds the kids at times..Keep your pup busy: lots of walks and lots of chew toys. We get the back of rawhide bones from Costco...Saves on the furniture.

Enjoy your new friend..seems like they train you too :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congrats on the great pup man. Those are great dogs. He looks like a "Bodey" to me.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
cool dog man. You scored. Herding dogs are the best. Smart and very loyal. From the looks of it your dogs is more cattle dog than aussie.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice looking pup there. That is a very smart breed. I will give you a tip on the house breaking thing. Crate train your dog. and when you are home with him dont let him wander around out of your sight. We have had execellent results crate training/house breaking a rottie a aussie cattle dog and a mix. Never paper train the dog as this only teaches him to go in the house.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ocdropzone said:
x3 on this and Tacocrazy have to say. Our Aussie 'Reese' is very smart. He was potty trained after a month or so. We put a bell by the back door, he rings that thing nice and loud when he need to go out..that helps a lot. A 9 PM he just heads for his crate everynight. Smarter than some people I know :p Seems like he herds the kids at times..Keep your pup busy: lots of walks and lots of chew toys. We get the back of rawhide bones from Costco...Saves on the furniture.

Enjoy your new friend..seems like they train you too :D

The best way to excercise your herding do is this:

http://www.caninehardware.com/products/chuckit/chuckit.html

Just find a grassy park or field near your house. My BC, Indy will go until he colapses but he'll still drop the ball by your feet. Swimming (less impact) and fetching is good too. Or in the summer time take a buch of friends dogs down the lake and have them swim and fetch. They wear each other out like crazy.

My likes to herd flies and stare at squirels.

·
Registered
836 Posts
x2 on the crate training. Had my Zeke mostly house trained in about a month. I will never house train any other way.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
we used to have an aussie Shepard mix that was very smart

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the tips guys. i think it may be a mix, but not sure with what lol.

yeah i let the sucker go free in the yard today and she went insane. she is basically the enegizer bunny only in dog form but only she moves alot faster haha. she def likes to chew on stuff, she chewed the wire in my dad's cell phone charger in half today. she likes to play with sticks, bark, tennis balls, basically anything lol. ...and she likes monkey grass haha. She did very good today as i dont think she went to the bathroom at all in the house, and does well around cats(although they dont like it), and dogs. hopefully she will like swimming better than she does taking a bath LOL

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Breathegood said:
yeah she is 13weeks old. ...and yes i get tired long before her. actually its kinda wierd, cause in the house she is nice and calm, and outside she goes crazy...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
She does look like she has some Cattle Dog in her. When we got our Gracie, we thought she was Aussie Shepherd too. She has some Aussie in her, but the Cattle Dog is definitely dominant. She is a good dog, but has been a challenge. Extremely smart and stubborn, and not to overstate the obvious but has an endless supply of energy. Get her into obedience training early if you can, cause it definitely helped us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
gregers05
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing