TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Bilstein shocks from the Fedex man (who just recently got out of the state penitentary...long story). Anyway, I was surprised to see that the rear shocks are labeled "left" and "right". What's different about them? Isn't it a symmetrical setup? Weird! :confused:

·
Registered
485 Posts
There's a bit more weight on the drivers side (gas tank, battery, etc).

·
Banned
598 Posts
turbo4door said:
There's a bit more weight on the drivers side (gas tank, battery, etc).
hmmm, for shocks??

the rears are L & R due diff in mounting lengths, the fronts should be the same.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well damn, I was once told before by a member on here that that is the reason for the shocks being different lengths (because of the extra weight on the drivers side).

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea this joint is filled with contradicting info man.

·
Registered
239 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Yea this joint is filled with contradicting info man.
The weight difference is accounted for in the front coils, the front shocks are the same side to side

The rear length is simply a mounting difference from left to right of about .5”. It is important to get the right length shocks!!!!!

Here are our new shocks: left and right specific lengths to prevent bottoming and maximize travel. Remote reservoir for heat capacity and to accommodate more travel. Plated AND clear powder coated body and reservoir. Nitro steel shaft (like our coil overs) specifically tuned for Tacoma performance. this is the BEST you can do in the stock mounts

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
If you were willing to send me a set of those n/c, I'd be happy to do a long term test on how the shocks perform installed on the wrong sides. That way all of our readers would be fully informed on the pros/cons of the .5" difference, and the quality of the Donahoes. LOL

·
Registered
239 Posts
nhlbill said:
If you were willing to send me a set of those n/c, I'd be happy to do a long term test on how the shocks perform installed on the wrong sides. That way all of our readers would be fully informed on the pros/cons of the .5" difference, and the quality of the Donahoes. LOL
Thanks

I appreciate the offer to misuse our product! But I think I got it covered, we purposefully do everything wrong that we can think of that someone may do just to see what happens. Its part of testing, I get to break a lot of stuff!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That setup looks sweet except for the hose clamps. Shocks that beautiful deserve more than $.50 hose clamps to hold them together. Do them some justice man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts