TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found what I thought was a deal on a 2002 Tacoma TRD 4 Door, 122k miles, for $6800. I met the guy and purchased the truck. I knew it needed tires and saw it needed the valve covers done. The truck drives good for now. I was in a hurry to get a truck, I had to share my wife's car. I ran the carfax the next day and found out the odometer was rolled. Carfax says last reading was 270k plus. Also the check engine light came on the next day.

I am not sure what to do. The guy I bought it from disconnected his cell (burner). The title is clean and its a North Carolina title and he lives here.

I am not sure what to do. Im thinking of taking the hit and selling it or just fix what I can and wait till it dies.

I realize I made a huge mistake.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I can't belive there are still people out there who are stupid enough to roll odos and think they can get away with it and still people who buy them.
Never ever buy something big in a hurry or let you emotions rule the deal or sure as hell some jerk will take advantage of you.
And don't ever think you'll ever get something for nothing because you won't.

·
Administrator
198 Posts
I found what I thought was a deal on a 2002 Tacoma TRD 4 Door, 122k miles, for $6800. I met the guy and purchased the truck. I knew it needed tires and saw it needed the valve covers done. The truck drives good for now. I was in a hurry to get a truck, I had to share my wife's car. I ran the carfax the next day and found out the odometer was rolled. Carfax says last reading was 270k plus. Also the check engine light came on the next day.

I am not sure what to do. The guy I bought it from disconnected his cell (burner). The title is clean and its a North Carolina title and he lives here.

I am not sure what to do. Im thinking of taking the hit and selling it or just fix what I can and wait till it dies.

I realize I made a huge mistake.

Did you buy it off someone from the forum?

-Marie
community support

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was off of Craiglist. No one from this site.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thats shitty. At least they run a long time.

Post up the check engine light info. Maybe some can help you out with that, at least.

Did the seller even have the truck registered in his name? I'd guess if he rolled the ODO he bought it to flip it and didn't even re-title it. Hopefully it was from him.

A 02 TRD? Doesn't that have a digital ODO? I recall they store the reaing inside the gauge unit so the only way to 'roll' one is to swap one for a lower milage model. Which can obviously be done.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'd file fraud charges thru the DMV

If this douche was ever the registered owner...
they can find him and charge him with a crime.

Possibly you could get something back if you sue

talk to a lawyer... that should get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My brother almost bought a 4runner off Craigslist like that, he didn't buy it, carfaxed it and was pissed that he wasted his time driving to look at it. It's messed up that there are people that do that kinda crap but if it makes you feel any better you paid about what the truck is worth. If it's had routine maintenance done then it will probably last good while longer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, Its a pretty shitty situation. I love the truck thats why I bought this one. I had a 00 ext cab and sold it a few years back. Im just going to have to take it on the chin and learn from this mistake. I want to try to get the law involved but I really cant afford a lawyer. Trying to work out the check engine light now. It was the p0420 code. Changed the o2 sensor, didnt work, found a leak in the exhaust at the muffler.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats shitty. At least they run a long time.

Post up the check engine light info. Maybe some can help you out with that, at least.

Did the seller even have the truck registered in his name? I'd guess if he rolled the ODO he bought it to flip it and didn't even re-title it. Hopefully it was from him.

A 02 TRD? Doesn't that have a digital ODO? I recall they store the reaing inside the gauge unit so the only way to 'roll' one is to swap one for a lower milage model. Which can obviously be done.

Probably never registered in his name, and probably flipped like you said.
It is the digital od so they had to do some work to change out the cluster I guess.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, Its a pretty shitty situation. I love the truck thats why I bought this one. I had a 00 ext cab and sold it a few years back. Im just going to have to take it on the chin and learn from this mistake. I want to try to get the law involved but I really cant afford a lawyer. Trying to work out the check engine light now. It was the p0420 code. Changed the o2 sensor, didnt work, found a leak in the exhaust at the muffler.
If you file a Police report, you do not need a Lawyer, it would be the District Attorney's Office prosecuting the case (Your Taxes pay for him/her) The Cops might try to say it's a Civil matter, but if you can show/prove the odometer was tampered with, that is Fraud which is a criminal act.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well hell P0420, if my understanding is correct than it shouldn't affect engine performance. Just the CAT converter. Milage fine? Maybe it needs a new one; which I am sure you know isn't' cheap for a OEM one. I presume you swapped the rear most sensor? How many CAT's it have, 1? I thought I read some Tacoma's had 2 but never actually seen one.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
If you file a Police report, you do not need a Lawyer, it would be the District Attorney's Office prosecuting the case (Your Taxes pay for him/her) The Cops might try to say it's a Civil matter, but if you can show/prove the odometer was tampered with, that is Fraud which is a criminal act.
It is a criminal act that can be prosecuted by the DA

But that is for punishing the criminal...
and probably wouldn't recoup any monies for the buyer.

Tho' prosecuting and winning a DMV fraud case...
will make it easier for winning a civil case.

-----------------

Bottom line... if the OP does nothing... the OP gets nothing.

Because the resale of that rig could be criminal if undisclosed
in future sales...
The OP should protect himself by filing a claim with the DMV/DA.
So that he cannot be charged for criminal activity in the future.

Disclosure by OP in any future sale...
would likely result with a vehicle of lesser value.
and the OP will be the one to eat that difference.

Don't be lazy...

file the DMV/DA claim/report and attempt to recoup some of the money
that the OP is likely being stiffed on.
At least then the OP could not be criminally charged for what another did.

Possibly the OP could be compensated a coupla' grand.
Tho' he'd likely need hire a lawyer to squeeze that out.
Might even work Pro-Bono on that case. :dunno:

If the OP has no intentions of ever selling it...
then I suppose he could simply take it in the ass and move on.
But I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Aftermarket cats aren't too pricey and unless you live in the Peoples Republic of California, you need not worry about it. They usually have models that bolt right in. Since Toyota buys cats from the same company in many cases, something the idiots in Sacramento obviously don't want to know about, aftermarket or OEM is not a really much of an issue.

Put some PB, WD or something on all the nuts and bolts well before you start taking it apart and be sure to put some antiseize on all the hardware when you put it all back together to make disassembly the next around a bit easier.

Well hell P0420, if my understanding is correct than it shouldn't affect engine performance. Just the CAT converter. Milage fine? Maybe it needs a new one; which I am sure you know isn't' cheap for a OEM one. I presume you swapped the rear most sensor? How many CAT's it have, 1? I thought I read some Tacoma's had 2 but never actually seen one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
you can't swap o2 sensors. rear sensors have a different voltage than front sensors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts