TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is interested in doing some geocaching. a friend of hers say her husband and her do it all the time. apparently it can involve 4wheeling. so if this is true i am in. anything to get my wife to let me go wheelin. so to do this we need to pick up a decent GPS unit. I haven't gone shopping yet, just looking for some recommendations. who has what, and what is preferred? can one work for the city and desert?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 that does both street and topo.

It comes with a 100K topo for the lower 48 so if you want to get any good offroad detail like most popular trails etc, you'd need to get some 24K topo maps for it.

I got the DVDs for the West and Southwestern US then made up my own state files which are loaded onto a (8GB) micro SD card that fits an inside slot.

It's not as good of a street navigator as those made solely for that purpose and is not as good for trekking and units made for that purpose alone either however it is very good as a dual purpose compromise solution and is the perfect GPS for 4 wheelers. It will not only get you to the trail but also down the trail.

My wife is interested in doing some geocaching. a friend of hers say her husband and her do it all the time. apparently it can involve 4wheeling. so if this is true i am in. anything to get my wife to let me go wheelin. so to do this we need to pick up a decent GPS unit. I haven't gone shopping yet, just looking for some recommendations. who has what, and what is preferred? can one work for the city and desert?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Asshat! He asked specificly for street use and to do geocashing etc. too and I highly doubt that Lorance is even in his budget. He, unlike you, probably works for a living too. :flipoff4:

Fucksticks in every crowd!

This...
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Automotive/GlobalMap-Baja-840C/
If you can find one used. Not a fan of the HD's...but the "c" line was/is the ultimate without a doubt. BTW, Dick is concerned about "street use" because that constitutes the vast majority of his "wheeling".:lmao:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shit, I wished I was able to work for a living. I am a full time college student at ASU finishing my BSE (bachelor in science of engineering). I barely squeek by right now trying to support my wife and kids. I recently returned to school after a 14 year career in auto body repair and fabrication. But, I still can find it in the budget for some fun. I appreciate the suggestions so far. I am hoping to be in the $100 to $150 range if possible.

What are some things to look for in a GPS unit?

By the way, if anybody knows anyone looking for an engineering intern, I am looking for a position. I am concentrating on mechanical with an automotive design secondary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts