TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to search for GPS set ups in the search tool, haven't had any luck... Can anyone post your pictures and specs of what you have done... I own a Garmin 62 and would like to use it with my laptop, need some ideas and help... If there is a good thread started already and I just cant find it, please post a link... thanks

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
I did... No results, which I find hard to believe. Maybe it's an issue with my connection.
Make sure to include the asterisk.

Search this:
Check out my build thread in my sig.
Check out Ram Mount.
Check out Pro-Fit.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't have any pics handy, but I have my Garmin 60csx mounted in the left corner of the dash/windshield, and ran the power cable from the cigarette lighter-style plug in the center console, behind the panel under the steering wheel, and up the left side of the dash panel between the panel and the door seal. (I actually ran both that cord and another Garmin nuvi cord, so that I can swap units depending on what I'm doing. It's a tight fit between the door seal and the dash, but it fits.)

If you want to run it to a laptop, I'd suggest running the cable to the laptop along the same route. You could use a Ram Mount for the laptop, too, if you wanted to go crazy with mounting.

I'm not sure if this is the info you were looking for, but if it is, and you'd like a pic of what I'm talking about, let me know.

-Radar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It definitely helps... Trying to gather info on what guys are actually running and what works. Not much room in the Taco, so I might end up sticking with the Garmin. My ideal set up would be with my Blackberry Playbook, running topo maps with a puck style antenna. But I'm no sure that is goin to be possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely helps... Trying to gather info on what guys are actually running and what works. Not much room in the Taco, so I might end up sticking with the Garmin. My ideal set up would be with my Blackberry Playbook, running topo maps with a puck style antenna. But I'm no sure that is goin to be possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I finally went with the iPad and Dual GPS receiver. I use Trimble Topo Maps Pro, Motion X, and Gaia, and if I have to, I use Google Earth. So far, this is the best solution that I have found for the types of trail running that I do. Only draw back so far is pre loading the maps because where I go, there is ususally no 4G service from Sprint. :(

And it stows flat against the dash when mama is navigating

1 - 8 of 8 Posts