TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into buying a GPS system.. Im not real fimilar with them.. do any of you have any good suggestions on which brands are best?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Garmin is the best, and most user friendly. Then it depends on how you use it. If you are only going to use it in your truck there are some options, and differnt ones if you want to drive with it and hike or anything else with it.... so what do you plan on using it for.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill be using it for going out in the hills and i see there are ones that can be hand held too so getting one of those would be great to take going out on the qaud. Thanks guy.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
i picked up a nuvi 350 from garmin, i've never had any issues w/ it. look on amazon for the cheapest price and then hit up bestbuy to compare prices/match + 10%

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Ill be using it for going out in the hills and i see there are ones that can be hand held too so getting one of those would be great to take going out on the qaud. Thanks guy.
Garmin eTrex Vista Cx

Get Garmin Topo maps for the trail and City Select for the city.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
I have the Garmin GPSMap 60c and its an awesome unit. You have to buy their Navigator software (~$100) if you want the full maps and routing capability, but its well worth it. The newer X version of the same units have a much better receiver and can even pickup GPS signals indoors.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i have the garmin legend cx... great handheld gps with road navigation..

just ordered the garmin 276c. much bigger screen, hard mount/hardwire, external antenna.. we will see how that one goes

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The newer X version of the same units have a much better receiver and can even pickup GPS signals indoors.
The x only upgrades the memory type on the eTrex series.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 350 (speaks the street names) & Lowrance Baja540

·
Registered
174 Posts
Por Que?

Im selling a Garmin 660 if you want.
Why are you selling your 660? This is the first GPS sys that I've ever owned, so I don't know what to compare to. It was between the Nuvi 660 and the Lowrance iway600.
So far my gut feeling is that the Nuvi 660 is a great city GPS. I used it out in
Death Valley this weekend and it was not bad. On the main roads it worked obviously.. But on the small trails (high clearance/4x4 stuff) it didn't show up.
However, on the way back it must have plotted or learned the trail that I was on (breadcrumbs)?
What do you think Tyler?

eric

BTW, I've read the the new Lowrance is one of the first to have a live satellite picture. Hmmm....

·
Registered
100 Posts
i just picked up one of these HP iPAQ rx5915 Travel Companion
http://http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/FA811AA%2523ABA/1?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/all_products_PDP
off of ebay for $375. yes technically its a pocket pc but it uses tom tom software so it is easy to use and has voice guidance and touch screen, personally i bought it because its portable, cheap, and i can also use it as my MP3 player, handsfree device for my cell phone, powercontrol and stat module for my UNICHIP, and of course anything you could do with a pocket pc including surf the web either by WiFi or using your cell phone as a modem, it keeps your options open for the future so you know your getting your moneys worth in the long run. i'm going to build a custom A-pillar bracket so it can just slide in and out

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have the 276C and really like it. It has great support / resources thru Garmin. Auto and Marine modes, takes almost ALL Mapsource data bases, has voice command, remote antenna capability, a variety of data card storage (sizes) can be teken into field as a hand held and nice color and relatively large screen. Sold my 76C for the 276C and happy I did.

Mounted my off lower center of dash with RAM mount.

Unit is still supported by Garmin. You can find on Ebay for @ 300.00.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts