TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have seen and read about the Grey Wire Mod that allows the E Locker to be engaged in 2Hi or 4hi or whenever. But my question for everyone is what really are the advantages of doing this. When would you need the rear end locked that would not require you to be in 4 low anyways for the torque and for the extra wheel driving. So far the only thing I have seen is it allows you to do donuts easier and in one tragic case may have caused a Taco to roll over. So why do it?

I am now hearing on the national board that this mod may contribute to a future demise of the 05+ Tacoma 4 wheel drive electronics so as it stands now I don't see a reason to do it. Convince me otherwise :confused:

·
20,355 Posts
No reason really to do it.

The only time i have used it is to baja in 2wd, much like the reason the pre runner was offered with it.

·
7,735 Posts
yeah, there's a reason I've forgotten to do it for so damn long. I can think of only the run up that hill for 4th of July (name escapes me at the momeny). I was too lazy to go to 4wd and did most the trail in 2wd. There was about one time I could have used it, and ended up just putting it in 4wd anyways.

I did it simply so it's an option if I ever need it. The writeup's on it are pretty clear and straight forward about how/when the ground wire is used. I can't see any down sides to doing the mod (for my truck) so why not?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, there's a reason I've forgotten to do it for so damn long. I can think of only the run up that hill for 4th of July (name escapes me at the momeny). I was too lazy to go to 4wd and did most the trail in 2wd. There was about one time I could have used it, and ended up just putting it in 4wd anyways.

I did it simply so it's an option if I ever need it. The writeup's on it are pretty clear and straight forward about how/when the ground wire is used. I can't see any down sides to doing the mod (for my truck) so why not?
OK. That doesn't convince me to do the mod but it also doesn't convince me not to it. I guess it comes down to if I had my truck entirely the way I wanted it and this was another mod to add to the list then I would do it.

AAAHHHH...... that one fine day when I have everything complete on my truck.......:slap: Oh crap I woke up again and it is time to go to work. :D

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Well I never had a grey wire to begin with, but I have flicked the switch when in High gear going about 15mph for some momentum up a hill. I probably didn't need the locker....but flipping it on -to minimize the risk of having to go for a second try - with out dropping into low and coming to almost a complete stop was kinda cool.

·
20,355 Posts
i wouldnt feel safe putting it on when moving at speed. It gives alot of stress and chance for breakage.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yeah, but I've gotten away with it. I usually push in the clutch and try to go in a relatively straight line. Oh and its not something I would do unless the surface under me has quite a bit of "slip"

·
20,355 Posts
As long as your wheel speeds are not that far from each other(ie not spinning one wheel) it shouldnt be to bad on it, but it is not something i would do.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I did it this past weekend. I really can't think of any reason not to do it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it i suppose.

Plus i'm hoping to get back to the desert at some point since i still have friends and family in CA.

The day after i did the mod this weekend me and my wife went to Rocky Mountain National Park for a drive. I pulled off the side on an uphill to let a car pass and get a picture. When i hit the gas i sat there spinning only my wheel in the snow while my other wheel was on the pavement. Of course 4wd would have done the trick, but i hit the locker just for fun and away i went :D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
While I don't have to do the mod, when I romp around the sand dunes in 2hi it is nice to have the rear locked. I don't really use high range snow bashing or 4 wheeling.

It is fun on the street when it snows out and you don't feel like locking your hubs (not a issue for you), a little rearend snow drift never hurt anyone.

·
7,735 Posts
OK. That doesn't convince me to do the mod but it also doesn't convince me not to it. I guess it comes down to if I had my truck entirely the way I wanted it and this was another mod to add to the list then I would do it.

AAAHHHH...... that one fine day when I have everything complete on my truck.......:slap: Oh crap I woke up again and it is time to go to work. :D
good, so you understand the mod:) yeah, I was in that same position and found that it just wasn't that important to me. I probably still wouldn't have it if Sucka and Yanman hadn't been interested in doing it last weekend.

If you're on the fence and can't decide to do it, then don't, wait for a couple of times when you're driving and thinking to yourself "I wish I had a locker right now". If you find yourself saying that enough, then you can take the 10 min to actually do it, if not, then save the time to open another beer.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I wondered if all those wiring mods tacosupreme did would ever come back to haunt him. Looks like it may have - but he also drives his truck pretty freakin hard so it could be that.....

I used to try and keep it in 2wd or 4hi whenever possible until I heated up my AT fluid above normal limits trying to climb a steep, loose bit of rocks on Hayden Pass. Since then I'm with Gerdo - just use 4lo on anything but dirt roads where speeds will be consistently above 20mph.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Its probably already been discussed. However.

I like being able to lock mine WHENEVER, mainly because of my front full-time locker. When it snows, i just stay in 2wd, but kick the locker on. Also, blasting across sandy washes/areas in moab isnt really fun, or easily do-able in 4lo (between how slow you go, and all the stress it'll cause on the engine/drivetrain), or in just plain 2wd. Its a hell of a difference with the locker on when you hit the gas in the sand.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Just have to watch for sideways drifting when doing that.
ehhhh, i think this is bogus. I absolutely LOVE lockers on the snowy/slick roads.

Yes, the rear end will slide out easier, however its very manageable and very easy to control/predict. Plus, i've noticed with the locker on, and some practice driving that way you can get a very tiny little bit of over steer out of it on slick snow/ice covered roads and makes turning 100X easier.

Even in 4wd with the front locker and such, i dont have problems turning, or problems with side-hill/off camber type stuff. The truck has never tried to slide down hill on me. Plus its saved my ass with stopping a few times. Just dump it into first and let the clutch out. The truck will still slide a little, but not near as much as it would if the brakes were locked, and its hard on drivetrain components, but better than an accident.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yes, the rear end will slide out easier, however its very manageable and very easy to control/predict. Plus, i've noticed with the locker on, and some practice driving that way you can get a very tiny little bit of over steer out of it on slick snow/ice covered roads and makes turning 100X easier.
I occasionally flip my locker on when I'm on my way to Winter Park going down Berthoud Pass. Often times the truck has a tendency to understeer in 4HI which is concerning particularly in the tight right-hand corners where understeer could mean a head-on collision. So flip the locker on, and suddenly you've got a little bit of manageable oversteer. I feel much better that way.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
my reason for the mod, i can peel out both rear tires and feel like a BAD ASS! haha

simple as that oh and i can turn off my abs easly that way, i hate abs in snow, period! fricken red light death trap right there!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts