TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just greased my propeller shaft today. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, lithium grease on the spiders (universal joints) and molybdenum disulfide on the cardan joint and the slide yoke. How many grease fittings are there on the propeller shaft? I only seen 6. How would you know when to stop pumping grease in the slide yoke fitting. I did not see any grease coming out after pumping 20X.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Most any type of grease is fine. Just keep them greased often.
I think 6 sounds right and you should only need about 2-3 pumps for the slip yoke.
Unless it`full you won`t normally see it squeez out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
alex9021 said:
How would you know when to stop pumping grease in the slide yoke fitting. I did not see any grease coming out after pumping 20X.
If you still have a clunk when you decellerate that you are trying to get rid of, then add some more to the slide yoke. Otherwise 20 pumps is more than enough. :xsmokin1:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff B said:
Has any one actually been able to find the specific grease mentioned in the link at their local parts places?
I have. The grease that is a little hard to find is the "molybdenum disulfide", I found it at Auto Zone. It's made by Exxon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
just greased my shaft a while ago and i noticed some play in the carrier bearing. is that normal? sorry if that sounds dumb

·
Registered
65 Posts
alex9021 - thanks, I'll check there again. My drive line is starting to clunk again. The dealer did it 12K miles ago but I don't want to take it in for this.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
alex9021 said:
Just greased my propeller shaft today. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, lithium grease on the spiders (universal joints) and molybdenum disulfide on the cardan joint and the slide yoke. How many grease fittings are there on the propeller shaft? I only seen 6. How would you know when to stop pumping grease in the slide yoke fitting. I did not see any grease coming out after pumping 20X.
I know 1 of those fittings takes a ton of grease, I know I pumped more than 20 into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
grumpy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing