TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i might be able to make a great buy, found an 87 extra cab SR5 with a 22-RTE. I'm still waiting for the seller to call me back about it.

The Bad:
-busted Speedo (stuck at 203k)
-water leaks from heater pipe at block
-broken parking brake cable (he has the new one)
-busted CV boots, both sides
-broken handle/lock mechanism on passenger door and tailgate
-leaky master cylinder
-cracked windshield
-driver's side window motor broken

The Good:
-2.4l 22RTE
-runs
-newer tires
-minimal body damage
-it's Arizona, so I can only assume rust is non-existant
-he only wants 700 bones for it

here's a link to the ad, let me know what you guys think. I'm going to check it out with my buddies from work who are crazy about these trucks. Planning to get it running good and use it as a DD until i have the money to SAS it, put in a better turbo, or maybe swap a 3rz into it.

http://yuma.craigslist.org/cto/3108870037.html

·
PA VP
987 Posts
how about if you don't want it i will send you the money and you bring it back to pa for me.. thats a pretty rare truck.. is it a 5spd or auto?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trust me, i want it, and the wifey said i can get it too! im hoping its a 5speed, but im still waiting for the seller to contact me back

Who knows, I might even pay asking price!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
picking up the truck on friday for $600. it needs a little lovin', but what 25 year old vehicle with chocolate milkshake on the dip stick doesn't? I'll post pics when I get it, and it'll hopefully be able to make it home for takeover next year

·
PA VP
987 Posts
picking up the truck on friday for $600. it needs a little lovin', but what 25 year old vehicle with chocolate milkshake on the dip stick doesn't? I'll post pics when I get it, and it'll hopefully be able to make it home for takeover next year
check the timing chain guides.. i bet they are broken and their is a hole in the front cover leaking coolant into the crankcase

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea that's what Ted at engnbldr said. I'm looking at his parts to rebuild the motor, since I don't know it's history and the whole truck is costing me the same as a rebuild anyway.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey quick question; the diff in my v6 will work in the rear of this 4cyl no problem, right? i mean, it's the same housing, so if anything it'll be stronger than it needs to be?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The turbo center sections and the V6 center sections are the same in strengh. I may have missed it but what yr is the turbo? Basicly the 85 and older housings are narrower than the 86 and newer housing.
thought i corrected myself earlier, my bad. turned out not to be a turbo, just the regular 4cyl. any of you guys hear of putting the 3-core radiator from a 3.0 on these for better cooling? i want to use as much off of my truck back home as i can

·
Registered
422 Posts
thought i corrected myself earlier, my bad. turned out not to be a turbo, just the regular 4cyl. any of you guys hear of putting the 3-core radiator from a 3.0 on these for better cooling? i want to use as much off of my truck back home as i can
The third will bolt up no problem, the radiator should as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how about the marlin crawler front tube bumper? as far as I can see in the pics on their site, the only difference is that on the 3rd gen trucks, there is the extra brackets on the side, in addition to the three bolts on the front crossmember (that are also on the 2nd gen trucks).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I run a V6 rad. on a 22re, frame width should be the same, I bolted up a 3rd gen cab to a 2nd gen frame. The bumper might be alittle wide for the 2nd gen body, but it should work. Also run the V6 brke booster, its more better ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice, good to know. I'll probably end up having to take leave to drive the 87 home in the spring sometime (after my buddies here help me rebuild the engine and all that) and cannibalize my 91, and either install the parts there, or haul them back in the bed of the 87. it'll take probably 2-3 days driving each way, but in the end i think it'll be worth it.

so far, the things i plan to do are:
-engnbldr head/cam/master rebuild kit + water pump
-replace master cylinder (leaking)
-replace e-brake
-fix the leaky water pipe
-new speedo/cluster
-interior overhaul
-paint and tint
-take the IFS lift off

the guys i work with have been doing rebuilds for years and havne't fucked up anything yet, and they're really knowledgable on the toyotas (one has an 86, the other had an 86 and 88, all SAS'd and built). If it comes down to it, i'll have a shop put the bottom end together and time it, but i dont think it'll get to that point.

what I want to take off my 91 3.0 back in PA:
-front axle
-all reusable SAS parts
-rear diff
-hi-steer
-brake booster
-radiator
-doors (for half-doors)
-marlin bumper
-stereo and speakers
-CB + antennae
-anything else i can cannibalize

I'll post up my progress here as the project gets rolling, i thank you guys for all the help you've been over the past few years, and i'll definitely give you all first dibs when it's time to part out the old hag sitting in my mom's driveway.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here are some pics of the truck, it's still in the PO's driveway, i should be picking it up in the next two days.

anyone know what the wires sticking out of the dash in the above picture are?

how about the wires sticking out below the radio bezel?

the glove box and gauge cluster surround are there, as well as the door panel, they are just in the bed of the truck. and don't even start on the dirt, that crap is everywhere down here. I left the windows cracked on my jeep and the whole interior had a fine coating of the stuff after 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Those wires are not factory and most likely can be pulled with no issue, just trace them and clean them up.

Maybe it is just the angle of the picture, but that doesn't look like a 22RTE, looks like a 22re?

Looks like a good base to start with and build.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
posted a while ago, the cragslist ad was done by his friend, mistakenly put down that it was a turbo. just a standard sr5 22re, but still i'm not complaining. however, do you know if the cluster from the turbo sr5 will plug into my non-turbo plugs?

·
PA VP
987 Posts
I wish we could find second gen trucks here with a rust free body.. i love the sr5 trucks with the good bucket seats and center consol.. i would strip the entire interior out of it and wash everything that can get wet.. what a mess!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha yea it's pretty gross in there... the driver seat is kind of busted, so i'm going to swap in a recaro seat i pulled from a Surf (4runner) over in Japan. drove it today for the first time, and jeeze it's got a touchy clutch. maybe it's just me, two years of not driving at all, and the rest of the time driving automatics. I'm waiting on a guy in Reno to ship me an sr5 gauge cluster that i got from him for $50, the one in it now has a busted speedometer/odometer (as previously stated). Can't wait to start digging into this, I just don't want to push my luck driving it around with the leaky heater pipe, master cylinder, and coolant/oil mixture.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here's the seat i'm throwing into the driver's side.

there was a huge storm here, rained probably 5-6 inches in about two hours..... in the middle of the desert..... did i mention the window in this thing don't go up? the fun just never stops.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
11 Participants
schwyter
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing