TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
washed all the pieces i could get off the dash

took the seats out, but the Recaro one I have doesn't fit, the brackets are about 1/2 inch too narrow. I don't have access to any metal bending or welding tools, except the table vice we have at work, some wood, and a grinder maybe. Any of you guys know how hard it'd be to refurbish the factory sr5 buckets? from what i've read, they are pretty saute-after in our community.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
PA VP
987 Posts
if you keep running it with water in the oil it will ruin the engine if it hasn't already.. so my advice to you is to not run it anymore and drain that milky oil out of it and get the problem fixed before your replacing a good engine with a minor problem..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
once I get the money I'm going to order engnbldr's master rebuild and rv head with the 261 cam and a new water pump and timing cover. we have an engine stand and crane and I can keep it here at the hobby shop on base for 50$ a week as long as I work on it daily. for the three of us to do it it should take a few days with work interfering. I'm saving about 1200 for all parts and any miscellaneous stuff we come across that needs to be replaced.

so I traced the wires coming from out of the dash, one is a ground, one is power, and one is for a switch. the PO said the guy he got it from had it wired for an electric fan. it never installed it. there's also a thick wire (looks like 8 or 6 gauge) going from the battery + terminal under the motor. would this be the starter's power cable?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also, mark, I only drove it about a mile from the PO's house to my buddy's house, and there it sits. not planning on moving it under its own locomotion until its got a quadruple bypass surgery and blood transfusion (high five to whoever understands what I mean)

·
Registered
965 Posts
what I want to take off my 91 3.0 back in PA:
-front axle
-all reusable SAS parts
-rear diff
-hi-steer
-brake booster
-radiator
-doors (for half-doors)
-marlin bumper
-stereo and speakers
-CB + antennae
-anything else i can cannibalize

Those doors wont fit, totally different body style. The bumper may be wider than the 2nd gen body is. I know the 3rdgen cab is wider.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Those doors wont fit, totally different body style. The bumper may be wider than the 2nd gen body is. I know the 3rdgen cab is wider.
i was going to try to use the doors to make half-doors, but if they won't fit then i'll sell them to whoever wants them. that thread is still about a year away though. and if the bumper is too wide, i'll just chop it and cap it. again, if it doesn't work it'll be for sale. thanks though.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
once I get the money I'm going to order engnbldr's master rebuild and rv head with the 261 cam and a new water pump and timing cover.I'm saving about 1200 for all parts and any miscellaneous stuff we come across that needs to be replaced.
Seems high 1200, I got the master rebuild kit, RV street head, ported and polished and set-up for a turbo, FROM engbldr for 600ish shipped coast to coast :confused:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
that's what i'm expecting to pay total on everything, not what i'm getting charged from EB. that includes getting the block decked, cylinders checked, bottom end getting assembled (i dont have access to machinist's calipers, dopler gauge, ring grinder, or any other special tools needed to blueprint an engine), probably a clutch job, and the miscellaneous parts it already needs like a gauge cluster and interior pieces, new doors, etc etc......

however, all this needs to wait until the wifie's car is running right.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not much progress to report, finally got out the dash pad, that's the last piece i was stuggling with to remove. Took out the carpet, scrubbed it with dish soap real good and sent it thoguh the washer. Looks a lot better, but still kind of busted with a few holes where my heel would sit. Going to remedy this with weathertec floor mats.

In other news, I found out I'm going to pick up rank on the 1st of the month, so that's a good thing. little extra cash to get this truck back into service so the wife and I don't have to rely on my jeep. Hope to have it all buttoned up and running right by Thanksgiving. I'll post pics of the interior once I paint and reinstall everything.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just an update, see if anyone's following this haha

got the dash pieces out and painted, found a good machine shop that quoted me at $200 for a dunk, deck, hone, and bore, and another $250 to assemble (if need be). Should be rolling along nicely here soon.

Attachments

·
PA VP
987 Posts
i'm following... i like watching other people spend money!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
mark i'd be damned if you didn't follow, helping me with the axle and gears on my 91 and all, i figure you'd want to see how much info i've retained after 3 years without wrenching except on my buddy's s13 with an sr20det over in Oki!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I guess one could say that we got a little done today :D

I forgot how much of a PITA those top two trans bolts were. All in all, took about 5 hours for my buddy and I to pull it, but in the sun it's around 110 over here. I can't wait to get this on a stand, finish the tear-down, and start cleaning it up

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yesterday we tore it down, inspected, assessed the damage...

Looks pretty awesome, like-new even. But, now that it's all in pieces, let's clean it and rebuild it..... for science!!!

block is waiting it's turn to go to the machine shop

parts soaking in a solvent-filled ammo can

As you can see, most everything has cleaned up pretty well. Got a few cans of brake clean, the solvent tank at work can only go so far, as we've switched to "green solvent". it works alright if you let it soak, and it smells like green apples :rolleyes:. The plan is to deck it, bore .020 over, complete rebuild with an engnbldr kit, OEM head gasket, and engnbldr head and cam. Since it's going to be nice and clean, it'll get painted as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
thanks man, i hope so

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
:xpopcorn2 Maybe I'll learn sumpin.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here's a little teaser, just to keep you guys interested.....

Not even close to finished, but one more day of painting next weekend, and she'll be good (for now)

as for the engine and miscellaneous parts, the plan is to have it all buttoned up and running like a raped date by the end of september.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nice :kewl::kewl:

21 - 40 of 101 Posts