TTORA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
well, I check the CSI time switch, and with both STA-ground and STJ-ground are out of spec. I used this fsm page as a guide, but tested both to ground to since my plug is sideways and I wanted to be sure
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354941628.153829.jpg

painted the intake and valve cover, I'll upload more pics tomorrow of my hose routing and such
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354941695.348208.jpg

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
And your right, not much activity here anymore. Kinda a shame:(
I can't offer any advice but I do follow. And I have noticed a decline in activity also...bummer

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Well, the CSI time switch ohm testing out of spec is confirmed, I took the CSI out and cranked to check for spray, and it's bone dry. Lucky for me though, my buddy has an 89 that i'm cannibalizing in trade for a TV haha. I know the parts are good because his truck was running like a kenyan marathoner till he blew the head gasket (for the third time).

Only issue I'm still having after I swapped the full intake (plenum/throttle body) is that the idle is sitting at about 1200 after the engine's warm and the idle screw all the way in. I tested out the TPS per 4crawler's site, so that's in spec. I can live with it, but for the sake of the engine's longevity i don't think it's great to have it idle at 1200-1300 RPM, rather than the 750-800 i had it set at before.

I still have to give it a spin around town, and I'll upload pics of my vacuum caps and hoses and intake setup later.

Also, would the CSI time switch from the 89 have a different ohm range than my 87? It's a shame that ncttora had to take down there FSM's

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
hell yea, I'm the man haha

new time switch worked fine but I guess the CSI was shorting somewhere in the harness. I don't have the time or patience to dig into that again, so I wired up to spray when the starter cranks...

+CSI tapped into +starter solenoid, and grounded to the intake ground.

only time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but I'm feeling very conident.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Here are some pics of the intake setup and a close-up of the vacuum caps I made with my own wits and ingenuity haha

Going to order some intercooler piping and coupling to finish off the intake. On top of the plenum/TB swap and 5mge AFM swap, this baby'll be sucking more than a Thai hooker in a port town.

Still on the list:
-header and 2.25" all the way back
-V6 brake upgrade
-finish paint
-bed liner (have full raptor kit in hand, just too lazy to sand)
-find out why the g-d damn clutch lines are leaking, and where from

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
One more thing, the reason my alternator wasn't charging. gotta love neglected 25 year old car parts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I know I'm getting a little trigger happy with the posts, but just had to share this one.

snagged a thorley tri-y header barely used for $160 and a drive to Phoenix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
yea, I guess I caught it in time. $20 from the toyota dealer and 30 minutes of my time, sure as shit better than an engine fire.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
looking good. Glad to see your getting it. Question... yellow duct tape, is that for a leak fix?
haha yea, i was starting it with carb cleaner for so long that the flexy hose cracked from being taken off so many times. I'm ordering intercooler coupling and aluminum pipe to complete the intake and installed it with the 5mge AFM. Since i'm not swapping battery and intake, maybe i'll fab up an air box for it and a ricey little hood scoop in the corner of my hood haha.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
thanks Eric! picked it up yesterday, on what was the most miserable drive of my life. I don't know what speeds everyone drives at to get low 20's highway MPG, but driving the speed limit (75 out here in the Wild West) I'm getting 15-17 and a spinal realignment. not to mention it was raining the whole day, in Arizona. what's up with that?

oh well, picked up the header, painted it, and just waiting to put it on until I can make/find a flange so it isn't welded to the exhaust piping.

in the mean time, some stripes got painted

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

stats for shitty fuel economy

31x9.5 on 15x10 steelies
22re bored .030, 261 cam RV head
plenum/tb swap
soon to ad header, 2 1/4 pipe, and supra afm

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
just an update:

- built some bumpers out of 4"x6"x1/4" tube front and rear

- swapped in 4.88 gears front and rear, old 4.10 diffs now for sale

- greased up the ball joints, u-joints, driveshafts, etc...

- just finished up the 5mge AFM swap an hour ago, waiting for the wife to come home so I can rob the filter from her jeep haha

that's about it, I know it's friggin exciting, but try to contain yourselves. I'll post pics this weekend after I take some worth posting, and hopefully I'll complete my tire carrier tailgate as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The AFM swap help's, I had one in mine back in the day.
I can definitely feel the difference, but since I just did the gears and the AFM at the same time, I don't think I can credit all the power to that little bit of extra air. That thing was giving me the hardest time though, and to mount it i just zip-tied it to a chopped up stock air box :saw:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
pictures, as promised:

AFM swap and piping

rear bumper - note, we broke the welder at the auto shop on base, so it's not sealed up yet, therefor not painted. well, it was already half-broken, but while I was laying a sweet-ass bead the wire welded itself to the spring follower inside the gun.

front bumper

and even though the gears and tires still don't match the "stock" ratio, i'm averaging 18.5 in town, with only about 40 miles with the new AFM. much much much better than the 15 i was getting for the past 6 months.

Still to finish:
- bed liner (i know, it looks like Frosty the Snowman blew his load on my truck bed)
- rear tailgate/tire carrier
- install front gears when I get them, should be tuesday or wednesday.

thanks to everyone for reading and commenting, it really helps keep the motivation alive.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
just picked up a Dana 44 for $200. needs a rebuild and is missing a hub, but i think i got a good deal.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
11 Participants
schwyter
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing