TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been offroad driving for many years. We have a Toyota Landcruiser modified for remote solo (yep - just us alone) vehicle travel. No excessive lifts etc. And of course a complete self recovery fitout.

Just suspension and mechanical strengthening, fuel tank upgrade, GVM upgrades (to be legal) and living needs worked on.
Last trip was a crossing of the Simpson Desert in as best as we could line following a trek by Cecil Madigan in the early 1900's. Some was simply cross country without any tracks etc to follow.
5 days and not a sign of a human. Toatlly alone for hundreds of kilometers all around us. Bliss. Best trip ever!!
Especially with two fridges to keep the food frozen and beer cold.

We will soon be visiting the USA and Canada on a three month mainly trains, tour. Including the Rocky Mountaineer, Inside Passage to Alaska a 20 day train ride west to east across the USA.

WE have been counting down for this trip for ages and have a few hams to meet on the way. SF, LA, Vegas, Denver, Chicago, Ny and Washington. You bloody ripper

I would like to add maps to the laptop to follow our progression (it has GPS antenna). Anyone know where I can get a USA map in digital form (GPX or KML file extensions)?? I use ExploreOz program.

Nice to meet you lot.

Phil

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Phil! Just saw your thread. I use

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/topoview/viewer/#10/34.1061/-111.7976

which allows you to download topographic maps which you could then georeference using Google Earth (save as .KML) for import into GPS unit. The United States Geological Survey (USGS) has a great inventory of maps as well but again, you'd need to georeference them for use in a GPS unit. They recently changed their website and I'm having trouble navigating it. Some playing around may yield some good results. All downloads used to be free (hope they still are).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts