TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled a you Greg, lady pulled out in front of me, f***ed her car good. Can anyone say ARB? Can't seem to send my pics from my phone to my e-mail right now, but oh well. Right front got it good. Some witness is supposed to be sending me pictures, so I'll post those once I get them. Thank you Colin for helping me out and getting me able to drive. Thanks Matt for taking me out, afterwards too. Also right now I'm kind of really tanked so I'll explain more details and damage after I wake up.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
its ok, you are both pretty special

short yellow bus special ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
yea if i wrecked my yota i'd been mad not braggin about it arb bumper or not that fool hit me.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
i was just drivin down the road mindin my own business and what do i see..... 2 cop cars, colin, then you.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
its ok, you are both pretty special

short yellow bus special ;)

die

i was mad at first too, but then i thought i would be getting money for a new bumper so i got over it and started looking at bumpers;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
LOL gotcha good excuse to get a new bumper

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok something is up here, I just got an estimate from a body shop on the repairs, but its pretty cheap, I mean isn't the bumper supposed to cost alot more than this? I have an adjuster coming out tommorrow or the day after to access it and make an estimate. Should I go to a dealership? The "witness" to the accident has still not sent me the pictures, but oh well a wreak is a wreak. Colin you've seen the truck, what are your thoughts?

P.S. My body damage is almost identical to Greg's (the first wreak) so that can be a reference point too I guess.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
thats $2000 worth of damage...bot to bad, I replaced hood, one fender, bumper, grill and all light sup front for $4900 on my 04 Taco when I got hit.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
take it to the dealer. it also doesnt hurt to have another reference

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Say you want factory original parts only..That will jack up the price a good amount.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It depends a lot on the insurance company, alot of them now won't use all OEM or new parts unless you pay the difference and depending on the situatio they legally don't have to. At least from the research I did. My wife got rear-ended yesterday too, this is crazy. I wish it was my truck, I would have a nice wrap around rear bumper built. Instead I am sure someone will be paying a pretty penny for a Black Lexus bumper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Punk drove thru my yard and t-boned my 450 a couple of months after I bought it....money paid for hydralic ram to pull most of it out, ARB, winch and lift kit and then some.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here is what I told the OP in a PM when he asked about this:

Getting high estimates isn't going to help you at all, so don't waste your time. No matter how much someone writes an estimate for, it will be reviewed and adjusted by your insurance company (the guy coming out to see your truck) first. The reason your estimate is so cheap is because your truck is a '96 and every part will be either used or re manufactured.

You can demand OEM parts all you want, but unless you are paying for some type of OEM endorsement on your policy (that endorsement is cheap and you'd already know if you were, so you probably aren't) they aren't going to give you anything but LKQ. That stands for Like, Kind, and Quality. If they can find an undamaged front bumper off of a 96 Tacoma, they will use that. If not, they'll look for an aftermarket bumper, or a refurbished one.

The point of insurance is to indemnify you, which means to put you back where you were before the accident. New OEM parts would make you better, since all the parts on a 96 truck are certainly not new. You could have your buddy down at JoeBob's Auto Body write you up an estimate for $10,000, but it won't matter because your insurance company is going to do their own estimate anyway.

I know this isn't the answer that you were looking for, but this is how it will pan out. Unfortunately insurance is much more realistic than the "auto lotto" that people make it out to be. Best case scenario is that you get a check for a little more than that from that lady's insurance, then take it to that shop that will fix it for that price, then you'll have some money left over.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions that I can help you with. I don't do estimates. I just do liability and make sure all parts of the claim process go as they should.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, what did the adjuster say?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay now for where I'm at with all this. well like I stated earlier it was her fualt and she got ticketed. Now however, being in college I need tsome mode of transportation (for now it being a spare family car), but her insurance company was not willing to give me a rental until they completed their investigation. That was on Sunday. Now Thurs afternoon or friday mornig my mom called to check on the status of the investigation for me while I was in class. Apparently the lady's insurance company is only willing to pay 60% of the claim because their investigation claims the witness says I was speeding. Now this "witness" was in the lane next to me, at a sit still, in the night, so apparently from looking in her rear view mirror she could tell I was speeding (BS). Also this person wasn't even local (will enter name of city here after I remember). Now the speed limit where I was at is 45 mph, and I was probaly at about 40-35 when I first saw the lady. got probaly to about 20 before I hit. Also since I hit her in the right rear bumper/quater panel, her company also claims that because she was most of the way past that if I had slowed down more it would never have happened to begin with. So not only did the appraisal dude make a claim of only 2600 for damage for my truck, the 2014 from the auto shop did not include the grille guard or the radiator damage. Which are roughly 600 bucks for just the parts alone. They made all of this without even seeing the police report, and when my mom asked about that they said that it was "seconed-hand knowlege" and would not change their offer for my truck and rental car costs. (I'll post to police report later once I take out personal info, along with the appraisal) Now this really ticked both of us off, so now my mom is stepping in while I try to focus on college (which is good, she has lots of spare time, and needs very little reason to get into a fight with someone). Go ahead make fun, (mommy is fighting his battles, blah, blah, blah) anyways yesterday she calls (or maybe today not really sure) and speak with the manager of the company or office, and talks with them (who is going to review it and see if she is going to stick behind the 60% or be a man about it and pay the full 100%). Another call was made to the state insurance commisioner, telling them about it, they replied saying the if they do not do the full 100% backing of this then I can have the repairs done at my own cost and then persue it legally as a claim against the lady who caused the accident. So looks like I might have to go to court of a dick insurance company and their policy holder......goody. BTW the insurance company is Grange Mutual. Not for any slander reasons, but just incase you ever get involved in an accident with one of their policy holders be careful, they can be very difficult. I really hate when people think they can screw me over, I have people try it way too much, its really starting to wear me out having to fight all the time with people (yes, yes that's life, get used to it, but I feel that's just kind of sad if I ever do get used to people's own selfishness). okay that's all for now sorry for this really long post, i'll keep you all updated as I can.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
holy crap man. thats like 98% of the exact damage i had. i think mine was a little over 3k in damages.

yeah i hate when insurance companies dick around with their "investigations" that usually end up bs. The insurance company sounds alot like Allstate. The second second wreck i was in, the lady had Allstate and it took them 3 weeks to do their "investigation" and wouldnt give me any money until they were done. They questioned the witnesses before they even looked at the police report. The witnesses backed up my story, and the police reported showed she was ticketed and she was at fault. but the insurance guy kept dicking around for 3 weeks without any progress at all. i took my truck to 3 different places to get an estimate on the damage and set them to the insurance company.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
oh btw i have a passengers side corner light that will fit your truck if you want it

1 - 20 of 51 Posts