TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did the mod last week and it worked fine....took 20 minutes like everyone says.

I just wanted to test if it was still working today in a big parking lot (pavement...yeah, i know).

Had to try a couple times to get it engaged....eventually worked in 4Hi and then could go to 2Hi.

But the MAJOR problem I found was that it would NOT turn off. I pushed the botton 10 times (not fast). Tried 4hi...2 hi..over and over....the button was "out" but the locker stayed engaged. Even turned OFF the truck entirely. It stayed on.

Finally put it in 4LO and pushed the button again...then it turned off!!

Is this normal....is it just a problem b/c I was on pavement or maybe had the wheels turned a little?

I am almost scared to use it again b/x I don't want to get stuck not being able to unlock without wiring the gray wire back together.

·
20,355 Posts
Sometimes you have to drive alittle bit after hitting the button for the locker to disengage.

·
Registered
478 Posts
try to go in reverse, sometimes it will unlock by doing that.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Best thing I have found is turn one way, drive. Turn other way, drive. It'll unlock when you drive the other way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys,

Great writeup there BTW!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2003 and havent done the mod yet, but mine does the same thing on pavement.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The gray wire mod only affects when you are able to engage the locker... it has no effect on dis-engaging the locker ie:it will always try and disengage whenever the switch is out. If the locker is 'bound up' from tension put on it by the tire/axles, that tension must be relieved before the locker will disengage. Like Phil said, drive a little forward, turning a bit in one direction, then turn slightly to the other while still moving... if your locker is functioning, it will release as the tension reaches a neutral point. If your locker has some form of reliability issue or is stubborn, this has nothing to do with the gray wire mod, and is a maintenance issue that needs to be attended too. My truck's locker was never used for the first 4 years of it's life, and in the last two years it keeps working better and better and is now very predictable...and it gets used a LOT.

·
Registered
180 Posts
NOT SURE IF I'M CORRECT HERE....BUT THIS IS WHAT I IMAGINE...

When the axle is not locked...the differential allows the axles to spin at different rates on each side. So when it is LOCKED...there still is a little play in each axle which may allow one side to bind/pinch a little on the gears....which in turn is why they say turn side to side which will allow one side turn at a different rate with pressure on it, which will cause it to eventually let loose and let the locker unlock. Since you don't know which side is binding....turning both ways gets the job done.

Hope that sounds right.

Clark (SupermanWV)

·
Registered
55 Posts
It has also been my experience, that the more it gets used, the easier it engages/disengages.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I know this is a little late but the simple fact that you were locked on pavement causes A LOT of binding force on the axle. I am willing to bet it doesn't act like that when engaged / disengaged on a softer surface.

·
20,355 Posts
It also helps engagement/disengagment if you are not on a high traction surface such as pavement.

·
Registered
640 Posts
So i did the mod last week and it worked fine....took 20 minutes like everyone says.

I just wanted to test if it was still working today in a big parking lot (pavement...yeah, i know).

i'm curious, if you know your not supposed to be using 4 wheel drive or your rear locker on dry pavement, then why did you do it? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all of you offered helpful insight. I appreciate it.

To answer the last question (which sounds almost like a flame to me, but maybe not)...

I had read all the previous threads and saw that some people had problems with it. I wanted to be sure the mod was working correctly before I took it offroad and found that I had no locker at all. If so, I would have undone it and gone back to locker in 4Lo only.

In hindsight....and for anyone trying this in the future....I should have found an easy dirt road instead for testing.

Lesson learned and no actual harm done.

I've had the truck offroad several times since this mod.
Locker works perfectly in 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think it was simply "moving" the truck...

I was driving forward the whole time and making turns.

it was the pavement....and probably that the locker had never been used before from previous owners.

works like a charm now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts