TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my way to work the other day and all a sudden there's a nasty grinding sound coming from my 97 runner. Pulled over thinking oh shit trannys going but when I pulled away again no noise. I get about 2 miles down the freeway and there it is again followed by a loud pop then goes away. Got under the truck over the weekend to check it out and notice tranny mount bolts are all only finger tight, got some chipped teeth on the flywheel and what looks to be a wear mark on the bellhousing where it looks to have contacted it. Question i have is could the mount being loose cause the flywheel to contact the bellhousing? If not what would cause this? Any help or ideas would be much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
It's possible the pilot bearing has denigrated.

Mine made a random grinding noise every now and then that I could never re-create.
Didn't cause any performance issues.

I had to replace the transmission so I replaced all the clutch parts while I had it out.
When I got it apart, this is what I saw:

I'd say if the trans mount bolts were loose, the engine torquing and rotating under power would cause some lateral movement and could have caused the input shaft to tweak the bearing.

Good luck. Let use know what you find out when you tear it down further.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention replaced the clutch and flywheel when I did the rear main less than a yr ago. Im gonna hand crank the motor over tommorrow so I can get a good look at all the teeth. If they dont look to bad might end up having to drive it anyways and hope it dont grenade on me. Gotta get back and forth to work somehow. Oh and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So went and cranked motor over by hand and only a few of the teeth have been nicked. Made sure everything was nice and tight and couldn't find anything else wrong. Could anything else anyone could think of cause this to happen?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cv's seem fine, no play in the wheel bearings, haven't opened up the rear pumpkin yet was thinking about doing that but once I tightened up the tranny mount bolts haven't had any clunking or grinding. Should I still open her up and take a look or is there something I can do without popping the cover? Oh and thanks again for the responses. Also no longer in Humboldt reside in Bend Or. now if anyone on here is local and would like to come by and give a helping hand I'll buy the beer since I don't know anyone other than my sis up here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts