TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the taco to a small construction area today, and I was climbinb up a little hill of dirt in 4HI to try to take some poser shots(I know, don't flame me for this), and all of a sudden I heard this grinding noise coming from the front. I let off the skinny pedal and pushed the brake lightly. It fluctuated some and as soon as the grinding noise went away, the pedal went normal again. It could have also been the transfer case. It sounded just like a grinding transmission. Not too good. Everything works good still, but I am wondering if anyone knows what could have happened and what I can do to prevent it, because I've done it several times before and never heard this unpleasant noise. BTW, heres some of the poser pics from the hill that I heard the noise at.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does ABS make a grinding noise?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I forget what they call it, but I bet it's that anti rollback thing. (Uphill start assistance? something like that)

If you are in drive, and you let the truck roll backwards, the brake system will activate a motor that will apply the brakes to stop you.

The dash light for the traction control comes on (Yellow) when this happens.

My Taco doesn't have that feature, but my 4runner does and it freaked my wife out the first time it did that to her.

No biggie. It's not a problem, it's a feature!

You can test this in your driveway.

Just let the truck roll backwards down hill while it's in drive. You will see the light on the dash, hear the electric motor, and the truck will stop.

It doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, myne isn't equipped with that either, no light came on, and i have rolled back before in drive and nothing happened. it was a definite grinding noise, not like a motor or anything. so that can't be it. could the flex or dirt have something to do with it. I drove through alot of dirt and it filled up my skid plate. 4wd still works, I'm thinking about checking the front dif. and transfer case fluid tomorow. but any other thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Not messin with you, but was the 4x light still blinking on the dash? Are you sure that you were fully engaged when this happened? Just something to think about.

·
Registered
151 Posts
sounds like the abs working

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 03 does this when I'm gunning it in 4wd and I lock down the brakes. It only does it when going fast and stomping the brakes hard. Scared the shit out of me the first time, I just don't lock 'em down anymore. It sounds like gears grinding, but right at the front wheels. I assumed it had something to do with the ABS. Nothing has broken yet.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, 4x4 was completely engaged. I guess it could have been the ABS, but i have never heard of an ABS system making a grinding noise. And I thought ABS was disengaged when put into 4wd, or that could be 4Lo. alright, so i guess I shouldn't be too worried about it then.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
rocks in my front brakes make grinding screecy noises.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just took it for a little drive, and one thing I did notice is, it does shift out of 4wd a little harder. When i'm stopped and I'm in 4HI, and I put it in 2HI, it shifts pretty hard and the truck lunges forward. I don't necessarily remember it being like that. Does anyone elses truck do that?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If your foots not on the brake it CANT be ABS...

If you dont have a DAC button you dont have HSA (the hill start thingy)

It sounds like 4wd wasnt fullly engauged, and the ADD sleve was grinding up front.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 AH64. sounds more like 4X wasn't fully engaged. ABS doesn't grind. I put my right foot waaaaay into the Whoa pedal and the feeling/noise that I get is like a muffled machine gun. Kinda like a hydraulic pump with a fluttering valve, but not a grinding sound.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm.. i am absolutely positive that 4wd was engaged, because I drove around with it for a minute before climbing up that hill. yea, you are right about ABS, I didn't hit the brake until after it made the noise, so it couldn't have been that. And I dont have the DAC thing either. This is gonna bother me until i figure it out. Would it be a good idea to check the front dif and maybe the transfer case fluids for metal shavings, or is it not necessary?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If it will help you sleep better, then change the fluids and run them through a coffee filter. Most larger particles will get caught in the filter and you will have the answer regarding damage. Then, if you find something, show it to the dealer and have them fix the truck.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
hmm.. i am absolutely positive that 4wd was engaged, because I drove around with it for a minute before climbing up that hill. yea, you are right about ABS, I didn't hit the brake until after it made the noise, so it couldn't have been that. And I dont have the DAC thing either. This is gonna bother me until i figure it out. Would it be a good idea to check the front dif and maybe the transfer case fluids for metal shavings, or is it not necessary?
Was the light still flashing?? I have seen my truck take a minute or two to engage before, new xcases always take longer than old ones.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the light was not flashing. I am 100% possitive that it was engaged. I could feel the front wheels grabbing onto the dirt hill rather than just the rear spinning up dirt. it was definatley in 4wd.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Then I dont know what to tell you, there are only so many things that can grind up front, ADD and gears.. neither one is good.... Is it possible you heard the skid plate rubbing on the dirt? Thats rocky soil, and that would maybe sound like grinding, more rubbing... but its an idea...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no, definatley not rocks. I wasn't sliding down or anything. it sounded like a quick grinding noise, and then it slowed down. If you know what an auto transmission sounds like when the engine is off, rolling forward, and someone throws it into gear, thats basically how it sounded. I'm thinking about just taking it to the dealer. But what would be a good story to tell them so they can take me seriously? I was driving down a dirt road in 4wd and all of a sudden GRRRrrrr...? thats about all I can think off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts