TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was out cleaning up some of my property after some storms knocked out a bunch of trees. While driving along a hill side in 4x4 i starting hearing a clicking sound but it quit once the terrain leveled back out. Driving on the road back to the house the clicking started up again and persisted for the next day before quitting again. Everything seems to check out ok. 4x4 still works, nothing is loose anywhere that i can tell and the driveability has not been impacted. What is concerning now, is when i drive through dips in the road(usually before or after crossing paved over culvert piper) that compress the suspension i hear a brief metal buzzing/grinding noise (if you remember the older spring style door stops it kind of sounds like one of those being flicked). Sound can be produced more frequently if there is weight in the rear end, so I think it is in the rear, however I am half deaf and everything sounds like it is behind me anyway. I had my younger brother help me locate the sound and he says front right. Nothing appears to be rubbing or loose as earlier stated. I am hoping someone here can give me some ideas on where/what to look at next or what exactly may cause the sound. I have not closely examined the struts themselves yet to see if maybe while driving over the hill sides one was over extended/compressed and damaged.

Truck is a 2013 DCLB SR5 4x4 auto. 2" rear AAL with Bilstein 5125's (5100's in the rear blew too frequently) and front has 5100's with Eibach 2" lift springs. Control arms are factory and I plan on replacing them with a stronger aftermarket arm soon.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally found the problem. After replacing the driver side needle bearing with the ECGS bushing and not having any luck, i started looking at the U joints (all of em) and drive shaft carrier bearing. While at the last u joint at the rear of the drive shaft, i noticed that the heat shield around the gas tank was bent inward toward the drive shaft and was close enough to contact one of the balancing weights when under load or suspension compressed. There was also evidence of contact. Bent it back out into normal position and problem solved!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts