TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ike, Doug, Melanie and I ended up driving out to BV to camp the night after the Wheeler run and the trail we decided to start with on the 5th was Grizzly. Unfortunately, we had a mechanical issue with one of the rigs that ended the wheeling day early before we could finish the trail or make it to Iron Chest. So no killer scenic lake pics like we got on Sunday. But here are a few pics anyway.

Should have some vids of us floundering on the first ledge of the actual trail too. Gotta see if I can find them...

·
7,735 Posts
Shit.. wish you guys had finished the trail. I was good hangin with the view.

I'll take a second to remind all to check their lower ball joint bolts. Even if you used good amounts of lock-tite last time you torqued them. This and tie-rod's are good things to check pre and post runs... especially with wash board.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Careful what you wish for, Ike. I'm still off next week. :D

I just got a PM from a member of one of the other clubs I wheel with who says he might be coming out next week to wheel some AZ trails in the big oven. If we get sick of the heat, I just might end up camped out in CO again! :eek:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shit.. wish you guys had finished the trail. I was good hangin with the view.

I'll take a second to remind all to check their lower ball joint bolts. Even if you used good amounts of lock-tite last time you torqued them. This and tie-rod's are good things to check pre and post runs... especially with wash board.
Actually, Doug, it worked out to be better that we got an early start that day. The timing was pretty good because of leaving early. I have that whole BV area on my list of places I want to get back to and spend a few days. That would have been the case either way. Its really nice up there. No worries man.

Oh, and I will add this general advice for those of you wheeling rigs like ours... get your hands on a few extra spares of those 4 bolts on the lower ball joint if you can. I have seen a few trucks missing one or more of them now. Good trail spares to have, lightweight, and easy to fit in the rig. But it would suck to need them and not have them!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Oh, and I will add this general advice for those of you wheeling rigs like ours... get your hands on a few extra spares of those 4 bolts on the lower ball joint if you can. I have seen a few trucks missing one or more of them now. Good trail spares to have, lightweight, and easy to fit in the rig. But it would suck to need them and not have them!
Yes, Ive had that happen to me multiple times. Finally started carrying 4 spares and using locktite.

Just recently I visited Dirtygerman in FL and he was missing one and the other 3 were loose.

Always seems to be the driver side for some reason?

·
7,735 Posts
Here's the first video, hot off the presses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYClRTBtlE

That would be a fail, another fail, oh and yes, another fail on top of that. Hahaha
Maybe the most deceiving ledge around, it's not big, it's not complicated, but damn if it doesn't give me a hassle ever time I try it.

And that vid makes my tires look even smaller than they do in person:lmao:.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tires, both size (limited diff clearance) and traction, were the limiting factors for your rig and mine most of the week. The front locker helped Ike and I a few times, but most of it was just traction and clearance issues. Some new 33s with a more aggressive tread pattern and you'll feel like your truck is a brand new wheeling rig, Doug.

Here's the second and last Grizzly vid. Just finished it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYWecC9JAa0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts