TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look of the black, 51 series Rockcrawler wheels (D-hole style), but everyone tells me that I will have to grind my calipers (04 D.Cab). Anyone have any experience with that? How much do I have to grind? Are there any links out there to show me? Any other cheap, black, steel wheels? I found the wheelers, but i like the d-holes more. Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes I have ground calipers. I think I have a pic or two. Well when grinding them you want to grind down the raised line on the caliper. If your looking at it the caliper it has line about middle of the caliper and goes horizontally across kinda like a rainbow. Grind that down towards the brake pads at an angle. I guess that is what your 04 calipers looks like. I dont know I drive a 95 taco 4x4. But the best thing to do is go to pepboys and buy the 1/4 spacers they sell and use those and leave your brake calipers alone. but if you must grind on them do it a lil at a time to see where it hits and grind more then see where it hits and take off a lil more it still hits it didnt like doing it to my truck. its unsafe.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I go to Pepboys, what do I ask for specifically, wheel spacers?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I ground mine down as well a few mm's to clear the D shaped holes on my wheels, no biggie. I wouldn't run a spacer at all if I were you, just take evena dremel w/a sanding drum on it and shave the problem areas a bit.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
you could also grind down the inside of the wheel a little...i'd rather grind down a $50 wheel than a brake caliper that costs who knows how how much

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
More work but I would only smooth down the caliper and then smooth out the inside of the rim. If that didnt work I'd look for a style that would work. The metal on these items is made a certain thickness for a reason, normally I'd say asthetcis, but in those areas it has more to do with strength.

Tim

·
Registered
116 Posts
i would do the wheels, then if you need a little more then calipers. if you go with the US Wheel 84 series, you won't have to grind calipers just wheels. if you go with Unique wheels you will have to do both, wheels and calipers. if you grind on calipers, all you need to grind on will be the angled portion closest to the center of wheel. the line going up/down dosn't need to be grounded. best thing to do is test fit wheel then see for yourself where you need to grind.

johnny

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought the us wheels 84 fit w/o any problems. They are the ones with the red stripe right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I have the US 84's on my 01 and they fit . . . if you're willing to listen to some scraping for 500 miles or so. People around here refer to it as the "self clearing technique". They scrape the caliper ever so slightly, but the wheels take care of it themselves. It depends if you can stomach the scrape or not, but it works like a charm.

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
trahsub said:
Well, I have the US 84's on my 01 and they fit . . . if you're willing to listen to some scraping for 500 miles or so. People around here refer to it as the "self clearing technique". They scrape the caliper ever so slightly, but the wheels take care of it themselves. It depends if you can stomach the scrape or not, but it works like a charm.
I heard the 84's changed recently and have a much larger lip on the backsides of the d-holes now. That's why I went with the 87-5883's from wheelers. Once you have had them on for a while the style just dissapears and all you really see is black IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts