TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing some mig welding to different areas of the frame on my 84 pickup. Looking for any tips for proper grounding, most of the areas to be welded aren't able to be clamped with the ground clamp.

Also, will it be nesessary to completely remove the paint wherever I can get the ground clamp on? This will be my first attempt at on the vehicle welding, obviously different than clean metal an a table.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried using a clamp to the frame without removing the paint, and putting the ground clamp to that clamp. The arc wasn't great, it might not have been a good enough ground, or the settings weren't right or I just suck haha.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have done a lot of welding on frames and I would recommend putting the ground clamp on clean, bare metal.
Next time I will, I wasn't happy with the results from not doing that. I have a bunch more to do, frame reinforcement plates, shock towers, if I feel confident enough to do it. Some of these things can be clamped directly to.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts

Clean bright metal. I always used to just throw the clamp on metal that was unpainted, but I am now a firm believer on CLEAN BRIGHT metal.

It makes a huge difference in both weld output, the finished product, and the soundness of the weld.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
besides removing paint down to the metal for a clean ground

remember to disconnect the vehicle's primary battery.

And be aware of where your potential splatter may fly.

have a properly sized/type fire extinguisher close by.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Post pictures of your progress. No one posts anymore.:frown2:
Eww, I don't know about that, I'm extremely new to this haha. My local fab shop priced me out ($140/hr.), so I said F it and decided to invest in a welder and give it a shot.

It'll be slow going. I started prepping one side, if it turns out a total fail I might have to just prep the rest and take it to a shop.

When doing fish plates or reinforcement plates on the frame do you paint the back side of the plate prior to welding to help avoid rust?

I'm using TG reinforcement plates. Those aren't the clamps I'll be using and the cardboard was used to contain some of the mess from grinding down the old shock mount welds.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Eww, I don't know about that, I'm extremely new to this haha. My local fab shop priced me out ($140/hr.), so I said F it and decided to invest in a welder and give it a shot.

It'll be slow going. I started prepping one side, if it turns out a total fail I might have to just prep the rest and take it to a shop.

When doing fish plates or reinforcement plates on the frame do you paint the back side of the plate prior to welding to help avoid rust?

I'm using TG reinforcement plates. Those aren't the clamps I'll be using and the cardboard was used to contain some of the mess from grinding down the old shock mount welds.
In this case, use an all metal vise grip as a clamp and put your ground clamp on on it. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
stitch weld those on

take your time and minimize any excessive heat to the frame rail(s)

switching back and forth to each side
affords more cooling time between.

Don't fully weld those on continuously
or you likely over heat the frame rails.
and that could cause them to go soft
and loose their spring steel tempering.

couple stitches at a time...
cool - switch sides... repeat

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stitch weld those on

take your time and minimize any excessive heat to the frame rail(s)

switching back and forth to each side
affords more cooling time between.

Don't fully weld those on continuously
or you likely over heat the frame rails.
and that could cause them to go soft
and loose their spring steel tempering.

couple stitches at a time...
cool - switch sides... repeat
Thanks. I think its TG that has a recommended pattern to weld these on. Jumping to different areas of the plate with short welds. I was thinking 2-3" welds at a time with time to cool inbetween.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally said F it and plated one side. Nothing pretty but with the amount of welded area I figure at least some of it has to be good enough to not fail. The underside was the most difficult for me, I still don't understand how to get a good weld in that position. I watched videos from the same guy that Phil posted, still couldn't get it right.

Anyway, next is the shock tower. Is it safe to just put the shock in the lower mount, like in the picture, and try to set the upper inline with it? Might be hard to tell from the picture, but mocked up on the frame, the upper mount looks like it needs to tilt back, towards the firewall to be inline with the shock. That would require a little modification.

How critical is the alignment upper to lower mount?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts