TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '06 TRD off road w/ the 6sp and just over 11K. It seems when I start out slow or on a hill, the tranny likes to 'growl'. This sounds only last for a second after the clutch is fully engaged and the truck is moving, then goes away. The sounds also seems to be noticable when i shift into second and not acclerating very hard. Again it is only a sound, and everything mechanically seems to fine. The sound does not sound normal and was curious if anyone else has this same type of noise occur. I have not had anyone look at it yet. I thought and check to see if this was a 'normal' thing for the 6sp. If anyone has can shed any light on this issue it would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sounds like you are lugging the engine, giv' em more skinny pedal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well to me it definitely sounds like it is coming from the tranny. I know what engine knocking sounds like and this is different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does the same only it sounds to me like a tire gripping the road. Service manager at Toyota has the same deal on his truck - told me its real common. He says its no problem but I'd still like to know what it is.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well to me it definitely sounds like it is coming from the tranny. I know what engine knocking sounds like and this is different.
Mine does it too, but it is when im running very low rpm, like taking off in second or running through a sharp enough turn i have to go to slow for second, but not downshifting. It also does it when i first take off in first gear. It's definatly not the engine though.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mine does it too, but it is when im running very low rpm, like taking off in second or running through a sharp enough turn i have to go to slow for second, but not downshifting. It also does it when i first take off in first gear. It's definatly not the engine though.
Same thing with my 06 - I don't really notice it in 1st but when shifting into 2nd and going slow (~ 1000 RPM) I can hear it in the back end. Once I get going it goes away...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine does the same thing when in very low RPMs, I worried at first, but kind of like it right now.

Sounds more torquey to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
same thing here.

I have another question to ask about noises. (these things have quite a few ones).

When you are in say 4th 5th or 6th, and you give it gas, does it whine? Mine whines it seems, but it sounds like its coming from the back of the truck. I can REALLy hear it if I have the front windows up and open just the rear slider. It whines with the gas pedal if i gun it a little. It stops when i let off the gas. Can someone do that with the windows and see if you hear the same thing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
same thing here.

I have another question to ask about noises. (these things have quite a few ones).

When you are in say 4th 5th or 6th, and you give it gas, does it whine? Mine whines it seems, but it sounds like its coming from the back of the truck. I can REALLy hear it if I have the front windows up and open just the rear slider. It whines with the gas pedal if i gun it a little. It stops when i let off the gas. Can someone do that with the windows and see if you hear the same thing?
hmm i always have my back slider open and i dont think ive ever heard that, but ill check today for you. Ill let you know,

Ohh also, any ones else shift boot make squeaking noises? i know its not life threatening, but its annoying as HELLLLLLL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts