TTORA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4915 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
OR_05Taco said:
One of the many cool toys we had over there:

When you absolutely positively have to kill every mother-fucker in the traffic circle - Mark 19, accept no substitutes!
(Full auto 40mm grenade launcher)

:D :D :D :D :D

Talk about a full on boner...sheeesh- Crowd control at its best lol

·
Registered
518 Posts
Those of you who have the XD's What do you all think- Im interested in the new xd 45, and xd 9

Which would be best for personal/homeprotection? Comments or Reviews?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Enzogfx said:
Those of you who have the XD's What do you all think- Im interested in the new xd 45, and xd 9

If you're buying it for protection...don't get a 9. For target/plinking a 9 is great, but if you're going to bet your life on it, get a .40 or a .45. :2cents:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Enzogfx said:

Ok. From just target practice and seeing the damage done to different types of targets. The .40 completely destroys targets. The .45 just puts a hole in them. So do you want to destroy an intruder or just knock him on his ass so he can sue you for everything you got? I'd say the XD40 is the way to go. I paid like $450 for mine.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Crazeecooter said:
Ok. From just target practice and seeing the damage done to different types of targets. The .40 completely destroys targets. The .45 just puts a hole in them. So do you want to destroy an intruder or just knock him on his ass so he can sue you for everything you got? I'd say the XD40 is the way to go. I paid like $450 for mine.
The .40 really does more damage than the .45? That's interesting. What's the difference in muzzle velocity?

What is the .40 like to shoot? Recoil? Barrel control?

I've shot big handguns (.44 Mag, .454 Casull, Ruger .45 semiauto) but the large caliber in a small frame pistol (XD 3" subcompact) has me concerned.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Crazeecooter said:

Do you have the 4" or 5" xd 40 - I talked to a guy who had the 5" 40 and said its was amazingly accurate and shot like a 9.... not sure how reliable that statement was- would u concure?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
How about a TTORA AR15 club?! I'll still be in the minority with my Rock River though, I know how you Bushmaster fans feel about RRA, lol!

Here's a couple of my others. The Colt Python is from 1974, the Kimber is a Custom II, and the Ruger Mark II is a fifty year special edition.

·
Registered
388 Posts
spindleshanks said:
How about a TTORA AR15 club?! I'll still be in the minority with my Rock River though, I know how you Bushmaster fans feel about RRA, lol!
Rock River is A-OK with me. I love my Bushy but if RRA is good enough for the DEA then I have no problem with them.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yeehaw! There's a Bushmaster dealer in town here, and they're very elitist, they've not made me feel welcome in their shop. So I found a better shop for tactical weapons. I've patterned my RRA after the DEA LE edition. It has the same Surefire 4rail foregrip, the same EOTech red dot, but I still need the Surefire weapon light...I cheaped out and got the Streamlight scorpion. I'd like to install a vortex flash hider, but I'm uncomfortable about the idea of cutting into the barrel to make the threads. It's a pre-ban. I also need the BUIS like you've got and I'll be finished!

·
Registered
388 Posts
spindleshanks said:
Yeehaw! There's a Bushmaster dealer in town here, and they're very elitist, they've not made me feel welcome in their shop. So I found a better shop for tactical weapons. I've patterned my RRA after the DEA LE edition. It has the same Surefire 4rail foregrip, the same EOTech red dot, but I still need the Surefire weapon light...I cheaped out and got the Streamlight scorpion. I'd like to install a vortex flash hider, but I'm uncomfortable about the idea of cutting into the barrel to make the threads. It's a pre-ban. I also need the BUIS like you've got and I'll be finished!
I actually have the same surefire weapon light that is on the DEA model, it just wasnt on my weapon when I took that pic. I had it with me when I was in Iraq (the surefire) and it kicks ass.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Crazeecooter said:
I think you're somewhat over-simplifying things. When a bullet hits soft tissue it reacts a little differently than in target practice. Especially since most people use full-metal-jacketed rounds for target and for self-defense I would hope people would use a good hollow-point like the Federal hydra-shock (pretty much the standard for a high quality self-defense round). Here's some ballistics on the 3 rounds (9mm, .40, .45):

*All ballistics are with Federal Hydra-shock self-defense rounds.
bullet weight velocity energy
9mm 147 gr. 1000 FPS 326 ft-lbs.
.40 180 gr. 1000 FPS 400 ft-lbs.
.45 230 gr. 890 FPS 404 ft-lbs.

The 40 and 45 pack a little more energy than the 9. All this being said the 40 is my personal choice. However, the analogy of shooting a bad guy with a 45 and just knocking them on their ass and suing you... :bs: . If you shoot someone with a 45 hydra-shock center mass they are going to be in a world of hurt. :explode:

AK98Taco said:

....but the large caliber in a small frame pistol (XD 3" subcompact) has me concerned.

Thanks for any advice.
IMO the 40 is very comfortable to shoot. It's a little more pop than a 9, but it's really not that bad at all. A buddy of mine actually has the one you were asking about (XD 3" subcompact) in 40 and it is quite controllable. My Glock 22 (full size .40) is a dream to shoot. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Enzogfx said:

I am one of the few that actually own the new XD45's. I am also a long time owner of the XD9 and all I can say is WOW when I compare the XD 9mm to the new XD45ACP. The XD45 is built on the same polymer frame concept as the XD9 but the grip is a bit wider to accomodate the High capacity 45 Magazine... that's all. Everything else is identical. I have some small hands and the XD9 really fits me like a glove....enter the new XD45. Unbelieveably, it fits my small hands equally as well as the 9mm. Springfield really did their homework. It;s a magnificant piece of work. Don't take my word for it. Go to your local Gun dealer's shop and try to hold a Glock or HK and you will see what I mean. Then try and compare the safety features of each firearm along with price.
Heh Heh....The XD 45 is now my new CCW. I can walk up to the range with my XD45 and shoot the 10 ring on the very stiff and cold first shot of the daym like it's my friggin jarb!LOL...
I could do the same with the XD9 but to do it with the XD45 convinced me that I was spot on with my selection. I may be flamed for this but the XD handguns are far ahead of their time. For the price, Glock and HK don't even come close to features, balance, and accuracy not to mention an unconditional lifetime warranty. The XD's are the handgun of the future and the other companies had better scramble to keep up with them. That's why I own two of them!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Wow, for protective loads I'm surprised noone has mentioned the 10mm. The .40 S&W is essentially a 10mm short.

Manufacturer Bullet Velocity
Winchester 175gr Silvertip 1290 fps
Cor-Bon 80gr BondedCore SP 1320 fps
Cor-Bon 165gr JHP 1250 fps
Triton 155gr Quik-Shok JHP 1375 fps
Pro-Load 180gr Gold Dot HP 1200 fps
Pro-Load 165gr Gold Dot HP 1350 fps
PMC 170gr JHP 1200 fps

Capable of flat trajectories (<2" drop at 100 yrds)
Enough power for hunting big game (such as White Tail and Javelina)
Terrific terminal ballistics and magazine capacity for personal defense

http://www.glockfaq.com/cartridge.htm#10mm

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Crazeecooter said:
The .40 completely destroys targets. The .45 just puts a hole in them. So do you want to destroy an intruder or just knock him on his ass so he can sue you for everything you got?
The .45 is slower than the .40 S&W, and has a heavier bullet with a larger diameter. That means a larger wound cavity, good expansion, and a greater energy transfer into the target. Just because the round is faster doesn't neccessarily mean it will stop an attacker better. The .45 ACP is a proven man stopper.

·
Registered
358 Posts
AK98Taco said:
The .40 really does more damage than the .45? That's interesting. What's the difference in muzzle velocity?

I've shot big handguns (.44 Mag, .454 Casull, Ruger .45 semiauto) but the large caliber in a small frame pistol (XD 3" subcompact) has me concerned.

Thanks for any advice.
My brother has an XD-40 with the 4" barrel. I can shoot it more accurately than I can my friend's Glock 19C (compensated 9mm) and my own Ruger P97 (.45 ACP). The .40 is a rather stout round as far as defense rounds go, but the XD makes it easy to fire accurately. An XD is on my "acquisition list."

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I don't know if this counts but here yall go...

Its a Tippmann A5 paint ball gun that i have upgraded with a 16" DYE Ultralite 2 piece barrel and an E-Grip.

41 - 60 of 4915 Posts