TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not that I would actually do this, but...

There was some discussion about putting a gun rack in my Tacoma, and whether or not it would be legal to drive around with a .22 or something visible in the rear window of the truck.

Then, the discussion changed to the gun rack it's self.

I'm not aware of ANY gun rack that would actually mount to my Tacoma.

There are some that are made of plastic that are supposed to wedge under the window gasket, but I don't think that will work with my sliding window.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AU6LNU/nextag-sg-20/ref=nosim

There are some that screw mount to the cab, but the plastic interior of the Tacoma won't hold these.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000KORJT6/nextag-sg-20/ref=nosim

Then, there's the question of damage to the rifle from vibrations, and damage to the truck when the damn rack falls off.

So, have any of you actually seen a gun rack that would mount to the Tacoma?

Have any of you seen a gun rack that you would feel OK about putting a nice rifle in and driving around?

And finally, how do you think the cops in your area would act if they pulled up behind you at a stoplight and there was an AR15 in your rear window?

Just a question, I'm pretty sure nobody is going to actually do this.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
as far as i know, it's legal to TRANSPORT a weapon in tx.
last year, they changed the laws about transporting firearms, but alot of BS insued.
(out in the hill county, loaded gun racks are common)

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Here in Mi the gun has to be in a case to transport it. Or at least I believe that is the law......I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The laws are a changing all the time, check with your local authorities. And more than that I suggest you read for yourself in a current penal code book and carry it with you if you do decide to carry in open view. Eight years of working in a gun shop taught me that the cop pulling you over may not know the law himself.

In the democratic state of California the gun laws are tougher. I have called my local authorities and also the state D.O.J from time to time only to find the so called “Authorities” give me differing answers and sometimes don’t even know at all.

Don’t know if you will have a scope mounted on you rifle but something else I leaned about gun racks in off road trucks is that it is almost impossible to keep you scope dialed in with all the vibrations and bouncing.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
a year or so ago, in houston, they repealed a law banning firearm transport unless it went through at least 3 (?) counties.
cops didn't agree or like the idea, so they/some would still arrest and ticket if you had a firearm in your vehicle.

arizona is nice- it is open carry.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Where I live it is fine to display your weapon in the back window as long as there is nothing in the chamber. The Magazine can be full. Most of our cops have AR's so they wouldn't be out-gunned anyhow.

The only gun rack I have used is the one that straps to the metal headrest rods and the bootom of the seat. There are two sleeves, one below the other on each seat for a rifle or shotgun to slide into.

I have this on my 01 regular cab. It works pretty good, the rifles are safe but it is a little cumbersome to get them in and out because I have to get out and lean the seat forward to access it.

I have seen the ones that mount to the top of the roof and secure two rifles in padded hangers with velcro straps. I don't think this would leave enough headroom though on a tacoma, and only the new tacoma has a wide enough cab for this. It might work on an extended or double cab if you placed it further behind your head.

When the girlfriend gets home with the 06 I'll see if its possible to mount an overhead rack turned the other way, that points the guns at the windshield.

I have thought about mounting a gun rack to the back of my cab on the 01, behind the seats, but that would be hard to get to still. I have never liked friction fit gun racks in the rear window because they will fail. I might look into one that would secure to the metal above and below the window(I would go through the cab metal with small painted carriage bolts). I'm also curious to see if i could fabricate something that would hold one rifle on top of the dash. Or a verticle mount rack that secures the butt of the rifle at the passenger side of the tranny tunnel and holds the muzzle at the roof above the center console.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know that if i did it, i would not have peace of mind.....someone breaking in, Being pulled over etc.... And how often that would come in handy im not sure. I load my rifles into my truck bed in their cases when I go hunting...Considering how often the laws change, I'd have to be readin/keeping up pretty often. Sounds like a lot of work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
generally speaking if the state is "Open carry" then the two step rule applies. That is, the gun can have bullets in it but has to be two movements away from fireing. With my glock, this would be pulling the slide back and pulling the trigger, so no bullets can be in the chamber. However with my kimber 1911, the saftey can be used as step one, then the trigger as step two.

So all this bs having been said, if TX is an open carry state, I would believe that a shotgun or rifle could be displayed, with rounds, if it were two steps from firing. I would check packing.org to make sure :)

Uh oh just did a little reading... Click here, view the section under the red bar section titled Admin Note Peaceable Carry

It's getting more difficult to keep tail gaters off your ass isn't it hehe. I'm interested to find out more, keep us posted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts