TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the use of a cat, but if you gut it to reduce some back pressure from the engine will you get a significant increase inpower or just some O2 sensors keeping your engine light on?
Am curious, b/c guy at muffler shop said that all you really need is one cat converter. I have two in exhaust line.
As well as with current technology, will the engine see changes in settings due to single catalytic converter rather than the original 2?
Kass

·
Registered
107 Posts
The ECU and o2 sensors are sensitive and removing even 1 cat will cause you more problems than needed. The cat can be removed but you will need an o2 simulator so that your ECU keeps your fuel adjustments correct. Remember that your engine needs some backpressure to create low end HP.

Robert

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had a Blazer that had a busted up cat on it, so I gutted it. Bad idea. It did sound better, you could hear a little "rumble" (it was a 4.3 V6) but it lost power and gas mileage. I would never do that again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are in West Texas, I m in Lubbock. THanks for the input. I had a buddy that used to have a mustang with all 4 cats removed. no problems, and the thing ran like hell.

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
kcopelin said:
I understand the use of a cat, but if you gut it to reduce some back pressure from the engine will you get a significant increase inpower or just some O2 sensors keeping your engine light on?
Am curious, b/c guy at muffler shop said that all you really need is one cat converter. I have two in exhaust line.
As well as with current technology, will the engine see changes in settings due to single catalytic converter rather than the original 2?
Kass

Toyota cats flow well. I don't personally think you will notice any difference. Maybe if you had an engine making 300HP or more but on a stock engine I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Our catalytic converters aren't as restrictive as some. Also if you removed one you would f'up the downstream o2 sensor and mess up it's reading which would mess up your air/fuel ratio. When it comes to catalytic converters in my opinion, if they aren't broken dont mess with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I removed my rear on my 01 by making a 3 inch pipe and welding some flanges on it.I moslty did it to make the exhaust sound better and maybe free up some hp.Once and a while i will get a check engine lightn (po420)but simply erase it with my code scanner.The rear 02 sensor does NOT make any fuel adjustments and is only there to turn on the light if it picks up any failures.

·
Registered
203 Posts
kcopelin said:
You are in West Texas, I m in Lubbock. THanks for the input. I had a buddy that used to have a mustang with all 4 cats removed. no problems, and the thing ran like hell.
I also have a buddy, that has a mustang, (Bullitt). To make a long story short, and after several dyno's, he put the cats back on. Much better now.(And yes it did sound great, but it still does with the cats on) With todays technology, removing the cat is sort of an urban legend (and illegal!). You won't notice any gains other than that spent on gas, because your truck will perform worse. But, it's your truck. Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
i was talking with a guy who races (1/4 mile drag) and he said from all his and all his buddies experience. with almost all late model cats you can't tell a difference in performance until and after 5000 rpm. i never go past 3500-3800 prm max and all the off roading i do is between 2000-3000 rpm. so i think for most of us removing the cats is not only a waste of time but really just opening a can of worms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just cut out your muffler and weld in some pipe in its place. You can have any local muffler shop do it. I had mine done for 30 bucks, sounds great! No problems so far!

Harley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts