TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright lets get the talk out of the way first then pictures! I've loved toyota trucks sense i was 5 when my dad pulled up in his brand spankin new 1994 toyota xtra cab black sr5 4x4 mmm mmm the first year with the brake light above the cab that thing was sick! I can remember that thing crawling up some steep hills and just being all around badass. so made up my mind i was gunna have one when i could drive so.... 11 years when by and i saved up enough $ to get myself one. Ok so it wasn't and sr5 it was a base model and yeah it had some body damage but it was mine! and being the average kid i was i beat the piss out of that thing and just generally treated it like crap never changed the oil the whole time i had it just added some when it got low (yeah i was pretty bright) but aside from neglecting any maintenance that needed to be done that thing went like a bat out of hell through everything i could put it up against. But 4 years later i thought i new best (with a little covincing from my best friend mind you) I decided it was time to sell the yota and get a chevy.... a choice i regreted from the day i sold her. So the yota was sold and i bought myself a 2004 siverado crew cab z71 with leather and the worksgot it at 69,000 miles and within 20k that transmission was toast with just everyday driving that pile of crap never saw a day of dirt! anyhow $3000 later with the tranny fixed and i sold it. For about 8months pryer to selling it i had started looking for my perfect tacoma and boy i knew it would be hard to find but shit ... nobady wanted to get rid of the exact one i wanted. But wouldnt you know it, the day i sold my chevy what pops up on craigslist but a Gold 1999 3.4l Toyota tacoma LIMITED 4x4 trd 5spd and the best part only 117k :aahg: only thing that was better then that was the price. So the next day i drove home in my new Tacoma and that is where our story begins........

Found some pictures of my first Yota today thought id post them up. Man i wish a had that one back...

By toysofgold at 2012-06-02

By toysofgold at 2012-05-02
The day she came home

I was pretty excited about getting the truck and start in on some simple mods so i put in a 800w inverter under the driver seat for my laptop and my camera charger.

Next was the deck plate mod ... i got a little overzealous on the silicone oops.

I didn't really want people being able to see in the truck. The back mainly so on top of the factory window stain i had carbon 18 tint put all around (windshield pending) i love it though you cant see into the back at all but you can see out just fine. The pictures dont do it justice but it is very dark and reflective.

And next... my Birthday gift a trail gear rear bumper! I got a little to excited to get it on that i decided to start the project at about 10:00pm on a tuesday .. that was a bad choice had to work the next day and i didn't brace my frame when i took the stoke bumper off so it bowed out just slightly and it made it so i couldn't slide the new one on. So i called it a night after calling it a few other things...

but i got up the next morning went into work early and uses our ever so handy fork lift and straps and the bumper went on like
butter!

Then it was time to take her out and see what she could do so i went to my friends place on the beach and we slung some sand and i quickly realized that the stock suspension was in need of some help. I didn't want to half ass it with a spacer/block lift so i started saving for my OME lift but thats later.

My friend got stuck in his CJ5.....again so being the good friend i am i gave him lots of shit for it and pulled him out.

..........Then... ten feet down the trail ...i hit some quick sand.. great now i look like and idiot and my friend didn't hold back he just thought it was the funniest thing..

On this next picture notice the top of the high lift jack, my friend was lifting the ass end up wile i went to get some logs to stick under and i get back just as he gives the jack one more click......oooooh bummer

the end result

Now that she was broken in it was time for the her first long hall so we drove down to my property in southern Oregon and then through to the redwoods.

After the trip to Cali and back it was definitely time for the new suspension so i decided on the OME nitrocharger sport heavy load kit (future plans on winch bumper skids and stuff) so i wanted the suspension to be able to handle it. Here are some before and afters

before

After

This is after she settled a little .. by the way i absolutely love how it rides now its not to firm it responds awesome bumps and potholes in the road are just night and day difference from the stock setup the OME responds so quickly and is over any bump right after with no rocking or swaying if thats describes it well enough .. all i can say is i love it more then happy with with my purchase!

When my BFG A/T's went tits up i decided to go for an off brand tire and have been rocking them(federal M/T) for about 8K now and i am very pleased the have seen sand,Trail,snow, mud anything i've put um up against they've handles perfectly. Also this is my daily driver and the do well on the road. Compared to my A/T they really aren't that noisier i cant tell the difference other then taking a sharp turn and riding the nobby sides. Very smooth and happy with that purchase as well. Oh no loss in MPG either

Got the two 25MM ammo cans as my storage and 2 Jerry's just incase

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been thinking about getting some black wheels for the truck but havent been able to find any good pictures of my color truck with black wheels so i decided to rattle can um just cuz. i did them pretty quick one because im very impatient with that type of stuff and because i know i won't be rocking the stock wheels for long. So if anyone wants to see a Gold Tacoma with black wheels here she be.

By toysofgold at 2012-05-05

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Making a list of future mods to keep me on track for what i should really be blowing my money on.

-ARB bumper
-winch
-custom bed rack
-custom sliders that will in theory work as storing a few extra parts
-more lights
-duel battery
-onboard air
-aux fuel tank
-rear tire carrier
-In dash radio/gps/screen for camera
-cb radio
-HID conversion 5k or 6k and new headlight lenses
-Micky Thompson classic 2 blacks

and thats it ... till i find something else i feel the deep urge to spend money on. like fixing my cracked exhaust manifold and get new cv boots

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got home and got bored today so i figured id do the diff breather mod

By toysofgold at 2012-05-11

By toysofgold at 2012-05-11

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yesterday I finally got tired of the passenger seat rattle so i took it off and got to work on figuring out a inexpensive way to fix it. Landed on the conclusion that there needed to be something in between the track and the slide as they are what cause the rattle so i looked to my left and wouldn't you know it. There is a little section of foam about 1"x1" by about 1/4" deep. The foam is in the long spring (could be short depending on the position your seat is in) on the left hand side. Take that foam and shove it with a screw driver as far down and in between the track and the slide rail where the rattle occurs and presto! you have your self a nice quiet seat.

By toysofgold at 2012-05-12

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Haven't really changed much lately trying to save up for a bumper and winch setup. I took her out today and snapped a few eye candy shots.

By toysofgold at 2012-05-28

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fixed some minor cosmetics today... thanks to craigslist. When i got the truck the passenger taillight was cracked and looked like a pile of hipo shit, but they wanted $80 online for them and i can only imagine what the dealer would want for one. But lucky me a guy on craigslist had one up this weekend for 40 bones so i snagged it up and now she is all shinny new.

By toysofgold at 2012-06-03

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well Im driving across country at the end of next month and the budgets kinda tight so as much as id love to chill with Chingy... im going to avoid hotel/motels ...and holiday inns as much as possible.

so after a day or two of the old faithful craigslist i picked up this canopy with the key and mounting brackets for $80. its aluminum so it ways next to nothing and is just under cab hight so my hope is that it doesn't effect MPG at all.

By toysofgold at 2012-06-22

By toysofgold at 2012-06-22

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After driving around with the topper on for a few days I decided a few things 1 i really like it 2 the windows needed a good cleaning and 3 i needed to bolt it to the bed because i dont trust those clamps on ruff gravel roads.

I also installed so lights thanks to the good people of walmart a set of 2 lights with batteries came to a wapping $3 and they work quite well all things considered. I also picked up some $9 foam bedding that makes the bed pretty cumfy to lay in. Now im ready for the open road!... until i find something else to add.

By toysofgold at 2012-06-23

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Today I got my radar detector mounted but i didn't go with the classic local. Im not a big fan of seeing wires everywhere i like my dash to look (mostly) stock and clean. So the way i saw it i had 2 options, first being i take out the dash and run the springy cord up the center of the windshield. This method was going to be more effort then i really wanted to put forward so i thought why not run it up the driver side pillar? So one $19.99 straight power cord later we have great success.

By toysofgold at 2012-06-28

slipped a feed wire through to get the power cord up the tight spot between the dash and the windshield,

Its a lot less noticable up in the corner, rather then in the center of your windshield

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Installed a CB into the ash try location today and put a 102" wip out back.

By toysofgold at 2012-07-19

cut out the back where the ash tray stopped so that the cb could push all the way back

Test fit on the finish of the unit

The 102" wip is obviously pretty tall so i had to find some place to store it when i don't want it up

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

1 - 12 of 12 Posts