TTORA Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Chris,

Which of these bulb is the brightest I can run with my stock harness?

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

I'll upgrade harnesses whenever suvlights is back web.

Thanks,

Jim

hytenor said:
I usually don't suggest them (long, drawn out story) but this particular product has been great. Install is very easy, just plug and play. It is a bit pricy at $100 though. the extra juice that the fatter wires allow let the H-4s run hotter and brighter which, believe it or not, makes them last longer...go figure. An added bonus is that both filiments (hi and lo) burn when the hi-beams are on which I really like. I ran some 110/90 bulbs for about a year and never had any problem overheating the plastic lenses or anything. I went back to OE wattage bulbs cuz I had to aim the 90s down so far the usable light was not as good as OE bulb aimed correctly. I'll switch to some 100/55s or 100/60s one of these days however. I don't really need the brighter hi-beams any more with the cibies hooked into the hi-beam wire for instant daylight ;)

Super Doody said:
Chris,

Which of these bulb is the brightest I can run with my stock harness?

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

I'll upgrade harnesses whenever suvlights is back web.

Thanks,

Jim
I ran 90/110s for a while before I got the harness. I'm not sure if I could tell much of a difference in brightness with the new harness. The bulbs tend to last longer with it, however. I took out the 90s mainly because I had to keep them aimed down so far as to defeat the purpose of even having them. I get more usable light out of OE bulbs than I did the 90s. the thing about the nwor harness that I really like is how it runs both filiments (hi and low) simultainously when the h-beams are on :D With '01 and newer trucks your lens assembly has a much better cut-off of the light beam than the gen 2 trucks have. you might be able to more easily get away with brighter lo-beam bulbs and not have to aim them into the ground to keep from blinding people. you might try ordering some cheapies and experiment.

TheChiefSinner said:
I was just on the phone with Jen Liu from SUVlights.com, and he actually said that the opposite is true. Doesn't mean he is right, but just thought I'd mention that. I got the wiring harness, it was $65.00, and I also got a pair of Philips Vision Plus bulbs for another $36. He said these were the brightest legal bulbs, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't drive a whole lot at night, so hopefully they last longer than 1 year. I don't care if they don't last too long though. Not like the end of the world if I have to buy some new bulbs. I did save the stock ones too just in case I need a spare.
what wattage bulbs did you get?

I've had the Phillips Vision Plus and Osram Silverstars with wiring harness in my truck over the past few years. I'd have to give a slight nod to the Phillips bulbs for performance (though they're both very good). Like the other people on here, they lasted about a year.

I bought these bulbs from www.murphskits.com because they're fast and cheap. Click on the "Concours Merchandise Page". From Murphs, they cost about $30 a pair and arrive to my doorstep in about 3 days.

pr0jectezek1el said:
hey guys

i did a google search and typed in nwor and i got this web site

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/

is that the right website for the wire harness? bc i just order the philpis plus from powerbulb.com

thankls
I have that one...pricy but works very well.

nwor is not really customer friendly and their sales people are pretty clueless. They have some very good products but they customer service is seriously lacking.

Yeah their sales staff is rude too and there is a 25$ minim on order. I tried to buy some grease which was like 20$. He wanted me to buy their catalog which is $5. Who the hell pays for catalog these days any ways.? He qouted me some like 30$ with shipping. I wasnt about to pay 30$ for grease.

hytenor said:
I have that one...pricy but works very well.

nwor is not really customer friendly and their sales people are pretty clueless. They have some very good products but they customer service is seriously lacking.

Do you guys think that the daytime running lights are causing this short lifespan??? I mean, they are on all the time on some kind of low-low beam. Can't be good for them.

I don't believe that DTR lights are "required by law" on a vehicle so equipped, so I may disable mine and see if my Philips bulbs last longer.

What do you guys think???

Jody.

The reason for the short life if you touch the bulb...

The oil from your fingers creates a spot where the heat from the bulb can't dissapate as quickly and the bulb overheats. If you do accidently touch them, clean them very thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.