TTORA Forum banner

H4 Headlight Issues?? Short Life Span?

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  taugust 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I got a '02 Double Cab and have had problems with aftermarket headlights not lasting very long. Maybe 5-6 months or so on average. These aftermarket lights range from super-cheap EBAY deals, to PIAA's bought from the dealership. Even the parts guy at my Toyota dealer acknowledges that this has been an issue.

The last set of lights I bought are under warranty and I can take them back for a free replacement whenever they may burn out, but I would like to solve this problem anyway; Free lights or not.

Has anyone else had this experience?? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Beave

#2 ·
Beave said:
Hey all,
Has anyone else had this experience?? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Thanks,
Beave
yea, get an aftermarket wiring harnes from nwor. (there's another, cheaper source but I can't find the link) Yunny??
bigger wires, better current flow and the bulbs last longer. There was a huge thread about this about a year and a half ago and the electricians chimed in and explained why...don't ask me...;)

2 1/2 years later the bulbs are still going strong.

#3 ·
Hey thats some good news!! NWOR is about 1.5 hrs away from my home! Pretty cool little shop. I'll have to get up there sometime soon and pick that up. Pretty easy install??

#4 ·
Beave said:
Hey thats some good news!! NWOR is about 1.5 hrs away from my home! Pretty cool little shop. I'll have to get up there sometime soon and pick that up. Pretty easy install??
I usually don't suggest them (long, drawn out story) but this particular product has been great. Install is very easy, just plug and play. It is a bit pricy at $100 though. the extra juice that the fatter wires allow let the H-4s run hotter and brighter which, believe it or not, makes them last longer...go figure. An added bonus is that both filiments (hi and lo) burn when the hi-beams are on which I really like. I ran some 110/90 bulbs for about a year and never had any problem overheating the plastic lenses or anything. I went back to OE wattage bulbs cuz I had to aim the 90s down so far the usable light was not as good as OE bulb aimed correctly. I'll switch to some 100/55s or 100/60s one of these days however. I don't really need the brighter hi-beams any more with the cibies hooked into the hi-beam wire for instant daylight ;)

#5 ·
wiring harness

hytenor said:
(there's another, cheaper source but I can't find the link).
you wouldn't happen to have a link would you? LOL!!! Man, $100 is a lil bit rich for my blood, even though I do need them. I got a set of xenons off ebay for relatively cheap and those bitches burnt up quick like. Even though you don't know of the link now, if you find it, do let me know, if it's cheaper anyways. Otherwise I'll have to fork out the cash, b/c eventually the bulbs will add up and be way more than the harnesses! Thanx, Wes

#6 ·
wslytoy said:
you wouldn't happen to have a link would you? LOL!!! Man, $100 is a lil bit rich for my blood, even though I do need them. I got a set of xenons off ebay for relatively cheap and those bitches burnt up quick like. Even though you don't know of the link now, if you find it, do let me know, if it's cheaper anyways. Otherwise I'll have to fork out the cash, b/c eventually the bulbs will add up and be way more than the harnesses! Thanx, Wes
Yunny has the other brand harness as well as the link. I can't seem to find it.

#7 ·
mine usually last anywhere from 4 months to 1 yr, but they just differ. make sure to use an alchohol wipe that usually comes with them and wipe them down. The oil from your fingers is supposedly bad for the lights. I haven't figured out what the key to long life is, but the last 2 pair i have had have lasted over 8 months. Dealer says every vehicle application is like that.

Justin
Nac, TX

#8 ·
Yunny!

hytenor said:
Yunny has the other brand harness as well as the link. I can't seem to find it.

Well I guess that butt-nutt needs to hook us up! Thanx man, I'll give him a PM. Peace, Wes

#9 · (Edited)
http://www.suvlights.com/

I picked my wiring harness up from these guys - seems to work well for $50 or so if I remember correctly. I saw a noticeable increase in light output...probably like 10% or so. Good enough for me.

Indirectly on topic: For bulbs I would highly recommend Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstars (NOT the same as U.S. version silverstars) from

www.powerbulbs.com

They are stock wattage (hence...LEGAL) but much whiter and brighter than stock. I've used stock bulbs, Hella 80/100s (burned my '99's light housings), Sylvania Silverstars, and the Philips Vision plus. The Philips get my vote because they are brighter by a ton than the Sylvania's, much whiter than stock, and not blue-ish like the Slyvanias, and won't melt my housings like the Hellas. However, I will try the Osram's next as they are supposed to be brighter by a hair.

About bulb life - I've had the Philips for about one year and a couple months now on the upgraded harness, and the low filament on one bulb just died. The 2nd bulb is fine, however. Over year isn't great, but its not bad I guess.

#10 ·
JonnyOzero3 said:

I picked my wiring harness up from these guys - seems to work well for $50 or so if I remember correctly. I saw a noticeable increase in light output...probably like 10% or so. Good enough for me.
that's the site I couldn't remember, thanks :D

#12 · (Edited)
#13 ·
#14 ·
JonnyOzero3 said:

Indirectly on topic: For bulbs I would highly recommend Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstars (NOT the same as U.S. version silverstars) from

www.powerbulbs.com

They are stock wattage (hence...LEGAL) but much whiter and brighter than stock. I've used stock bulbs, Hella 80/100s (burned my '99's light housings), Sylvania Silverstars, and the Philips Vision plus. The Philips get my vote because they are brighter by a ton than the Sylvania's, much whiter than stock, and not blue-ish like the Slyvanias, and won't melt my housings like the Hellas. However, I will try the Osram's next as they are supposed to be brighter by a hair.

About bulb life - I've had the Philips for about one year and a couple months now on the upgraded harness, and the low filament on one bulb just died. The 2nd bulb is fine, however. Over year isn't great, but its not bad I guess.
Got those osrams yet?

#15 ·
Yeti said:
Got those osrams yet?
No, not yet. I've been living with a truck with a black eye...one stock and one philips for a bit now, lol. The new bulbs are a little low on the priority list, but I'll get them sooner or later. I'll make sure to revisit this thread when I do....

I'm sure there are other fellas on here who have used the Osram's...be nice if they could chime in....cough cough.... :p

#16 ·
hytenor said:
bigger wires, better current flow and the bulbs last longer. There was a huge thread about this about a year and a half ago and the electricians chimed in and explained why...don't ask me...;)
I was just on the phone with Jen Liu from SUVlights.com, and he actually said that the opposite is true. Doesn't mean he is right, but just thought I'd mention that. I got the wiring harness, it was $65.00, and I also got a pair of Philips Vision Plus bulbs for another $36. He said these were the brightest legal bulbs, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't drive a whole lot at night, so hopefully they last longer than 1 year. I don't care if they don't last too long though. Not like the end of the world if I have to buy some new bulbs. I did save the stock ones too just in case I need a spare.

#17 ·
I still have my stock bulbs after 4 years. I run with my lights on all the time! I think after this I will buy another set of stockers (unless they are ridiculously expensive). Any time I have used aftermarket bulbs they always burnt quickly.
Anthony

#20 ·
Sorry old post. My silverstar just burnt out. Which bulb do you have 100/55w? Can I run that with stock harness? How much brighter is it with the upgraded harness?

wisctaco04 said:
Yunny found this place so I can't take credit....
They ship in a day and arrive 2 days later. Super cheap.

Susquehanna Motorsports Rally lighs catalogue

#21 ·
Chris,

Which of these bulb is the brightest I can run with my stock harness?

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

I'll upgrade harnesses whenever suvlights is back web.

Thanks,

Jim

hytenor said:
I usually don't suggest them (long, drawn out story) but this particular product has been great. Install is very easy, just plug and play. It is a bit pricy at $100 though. the extra juice that the fatter wires allow let the H-4s run hotter and brighter which, believe it or not, makes them last longer...go figure. An added bonus is that both filiments (hi and lo) burn when the hi-beams are on which I really like. I ran some 110/90 bulbs for about a year and never had any problem overheating the plastic lenses or anything. I went back to OE wattage bulbs cuz I had to aim the 90s down so far the usable light was not as good as OE bulb aimed correctly. I'll switch to some 100/55s or 100/60s one of these days however. I don't really need the brighter hi-beams any more with the cibies hooked into the hi-beam wire for instant daylight ;)

#22 ·
Super Doody said:
Chris,

Which of these bulb is the brightest I can run with my stock harness?

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

I'll upgrade harnesses whenever suvlights is back web.

Thanks,

Jim
I ran 90/110s for a while before I got the harness. I'm not sure if I could tell much of a difference in brightness with the new harness. The bulbs tend to last longer with it, however. I took out the 90s mainly because I had to keep them aimed down so far as to defeat the purpose of even having them. I get more usable light out of OE bulbs than I did the 90s. the thing about the nwor harness that I really like is how it runs both filiments (hi and low) simultainously when the h-beams are on :D With '01 and newer trucks your lens assembly has a much better cut-off of the light beam than the gen 2 trucks have. you might be able to more easily get away with brighter lo-beam bulbs and not have to aim them into the ground to keep from blinding people. you might try ordering some cheapies and experiment.

#23 ·
TheChiefSinner said:
I was just on the phone with Jen Liu from SUVlights.com, and he actually said that the opposite is true. Doesn't mean he is right, but just thought I'd mention that. I got the wiring harness, it was $65.00, and I also got a pair of Philips Vision Plus bulbs for another $36. He said these were the brightest legal bulbs, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't drive a whole lot at night, so hopefully they last longer than 1 year. I don't care if they don't last too long though. Not like the end of the world if I have to buy some new bulbs. I did save the stock ones too just in case I need a spare.
what wattage bulbs did you get?

#24 · (Edited)
I've had the Phillips Vision Plus and Osram Silverstars with wiring harness in my truck over the past few years. I'd have to give a slight nod to the Phillips bulbs for performance (though they're both very good). Like the other people on here, they lasted about a year.

I bought these bulbs from www.murphskits.com because they're fast and cheap. Click on the "Concours Merchandise Page". From Murphs, they cost about $30 a pair and arrive to my doorstep in about 3 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.