TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of making some half doors sometime after the Holidays and was wondering if anyone knew of any good write ups/ideas for making snapin/velcro on windows? I'm thinking pretty much the same material as used on Jeep tops and some clear plastic the same. How would you attach the clear plastic to the canvas?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
The doors on my Heep use zippers for the windows.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you look at the jeep they are on a tube metal frame. The window area is stitched and then has a zipper to open the window with on 3 sides of it and folds down. The plastic and cloth are stitched together and then the metal frame slips into the half door through 2 holes. But jeeps also have a frame for the top of the door to. Go check out a jeep dealership and just look at it. They aren't that complicated. good luck, take some pics to. I am interested for when I get back stateside.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Like others have said, the zippers are sewn to the windows. There is a small piece of canvas folded over the edge to keep it neat looking, and probably to add some strength as well.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is the plastic window material molded in any way besides sewn to the canvass? It seems to me that the window would eventually rip and also wouldnt be water tight.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I don't know of ANY soft top that is 100% water tight. The window is on the "inside" of the door, in that there is a small flap that covers the zipper seam on the outside. The window is not moulded, it is just flat sheet plastic.

Go swing by a Heep dealer when you get the chance and have a close look at one. I am fairly sure that factory TJ tops are made by Bestop, pretty much the same as the one that I have.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You would have a canvas frame around the window. so the window plastic would be sewn in to the canvas and the canvas would zip into the rest of the door. You could also use snaps to secure it to the door.

J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts