Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neighbor Eric

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
That'll never work! He will just fall out! LOL

Looks good James yur king of the half door gig!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
james let me know if you ever find another set of doors. ill get you to make me some too!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you cut the handle out...
what you gonna use instead ?
Why leave the handle in? If ya do ya might as well never cut the doors.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Bahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Uhhh those are not half doors. At best those are quarter doors. And yeah I'd definately need to be strapped in. Cool factor is sky high though!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
James you should add a bar across to act as a arm rest like Marlin's red truck

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had tube doors on my Tacoma and the half on the Runner. I like the half better cause I didn't get as muddy or a wet when caught in the rain. Visibility wise about the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you put any bracing in the doors to stiffen them? If your would like to i can buy all the stuff and come to your house, i'll do all the work if you'll just guide me

I've already cut the doors

·
Registered
530 Posts
Got any pics of the latching mech? I am going to try and tackle a set and was wondering how you do the latches? Also how do you do the top piece? I take it make a template and bend the metal to fit? One piece?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cut the out and insides the same so all I do is bend sheet metal to fit the curves and then weld it all up. One piece of sheet bent by hand to fit. Tack it in several places, The I take a flap wheel on a angle grinder and shape the sheet to the door.

The lock mech welded in the unlock position. Its on the bottom of the latch.

Tack on the back side of where the latch goes if not this part will slip and the latch wont work.

The latch handle. I used flat bar stock on this one. Drill a hole so you can plug weld it to the latch. On my neighbors taco doors I used 8mm Craftsman wrenches. They worked out great. slid the open end on the latch and welded it and you open the door with the boxed end.

I did the access holes because something is gonna screw up and you will need to get back in. Trust me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stomper: "On my neighbors taco doors I used 8mm Craftsman wrenches. They worked out great. slid the open end on the latch and welded it and you open the door with the boxed end."

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts