TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start a half doors project. My question is about the hinges. Out of simplicity, I just love to get a set of quick disconnect hinges from 4xinnovations. But I've heard tell that if I remove the truck side half of the door hinge, I'll never get the doors to line up right again. I'm driving a 98 Tacoma, BTW.

Is there any truth to this, or is someone being dramatic? I'd just rather not have to cut the pin out with it still on the truck.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Scribe the paint around the hindge so you can line it back up in the same place.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yeah like Pink said just mark the hinges before you remove them and maybe put a piece of tape at the door handle that goes from the door to the cab and then slice it at the door seem then when you go to put the door back on you can see if the tape lines up and then you can adjust the hinge accordingly. Basically the people who are have allignment issues are the people that just started taking stuff apart and didn't take the time to line things back up when they put it together. I have heard that alot of people are happy with the hinges, and I will be getting a set myself when I get everything else done to my trail truck, its just hinges are way down on the list right now.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It may be basic body work, but I've never done any body work before. But from what you've described, I think I can manage to get it close.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I take my doors off all the time. If you try to separate the factory hinges (remove the pins) there is a sleeve that will likely fall out too. That makes a small amount of play in the hinges when you insert replacement pins, so you will have a little door sag. I have this, but it does not cause any problems. If you buy the custom ones, I assume they eliminate this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts