TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked a question tonight by a friend how many vehicles I could think of that were released as a half-year model.

The only one I could think of, and I might be wrong, was the 1995.5 Toyota truck. I think there was a mustang or two and maybe the MR2 also, but I can't remember when.

Does anyone know of any others because this is going to bug me. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know dodge changed from the 12 valve diesel to the 24 valve diesel in 98. They didn't have an official "half-year" but the engine and a few other small thing changed beginning with production date 1/98

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
wasnt the super duty a 96.5 or 97.5?

i google the crap outta this and found no kind of list.

·
Banned
755 Posts
1969 1/2 Maverick
1969 1/2 RoadRunner
And I thought there was a half-year Camaro in the late 60's, too. 67 or 68. I'm also thinking those are the cars with the rare Chevy 302 in them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wasn't the Nissan "Hardbody" pickup a half year truck? 1986.5 I think. Man were those fugly trucks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 4th generation Jetta was introduced to NA as a 1999.5, was sold elsewhere in 1998 though.

There was a 2008.5 Mazda 3.

I'm sure there's more.
My buddy has a 2004.5 jetta tdi

·
Banned
755 Posts
My buddy has a 2004.5 jetta tdi
I send my condolences on your buddy's POS car. I had a 1994 GLX and it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. I was paying CC bills where I'd paid to have it fixed almost 1 year after I sold that bucket.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wasnt the super duty a 96.5 or 97.5?

i google the crap outta this and found no kind of list.
Yeah, same here. I figured if I couldn't get an answer here I wouldn't find one anywhere.

Thanks for all the info BTW!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Chevy did this with some version of their Impala in 2008.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I believe the histiry of this is ... Back in the day there was a specific release date for all new Amaerican made vehicles. I believe this started after WWII I believe it was September of the previous year for the new models. This kinda kept the playing field even as far as new releases. So in order to play the game in the 60's the 1/2 year was used to get to the market sooner than September. Sometime in the 70's the realease month kinda went away and I don't really know how or why. In February of 1996 the 1997 F150 was released. Pretty funny. Damn near a year before the actual year but its not called a 96 1/2. Thats about all I know or think I know. Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had a 2000.5 vw Golf 1.8t

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
good call.

So what would you call a 95.5 Taco a '96 i assume?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I believe that its technically a 1995 Tacoma. There were 1995 Toyota Pickups also. BUT the problem that I always ran into was that whenever I tried to get parts, and told them I needed parts for a 1995.5 TACOMA, I ended up with parts for the 1995 Toyota Pickup. So, I always ended up telling them that I had a 1996 Tacoma so that I could get the right stuff.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Wasn't the Nissan "Hardbody" pickup a half year truck? 1986.5 I think. Man were those fugly trucks.
damn you to HELL!! i had a 86.5 nissan hardbody.....got more puss in that thing than my cobra....not really....but it was a TUFF truck.....v6 auto.....it would only do about 100 with the wind blowing on the bonneville salt flats....but it did have power everything! but ihave to agree it was the ugliest thing i've ever owned.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
I send my condolences on your buddy's POS car. I had a 1994 GLX and it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. I was paying CC bills where I'd paid to have it fixed almost 1 year after I sold that bucket.
I had a 98 Jetta VR6 before my yota and i was a pile of shit!! Quick though

My buddy has a 1986.5 Ford Ranger STX so there is one more

1 - 20 of 47 Posts