TTORA Forum banner

Hall Valley camping 9/27 and Red Cone 9/28

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Asha'man 
#1 ·
On the way back down Hall Valley on Saturday afternoon, we bid adieu to Dan and Eric and the ladies and set up camp just off the trail.

Me bein' stupid under our truck/tarp shelter:

Tent camping sucks:

Camp and me playing housewife or something:

The babbling brook that kept us company:

Where are we goin? To the top!

From whence we came....

Onward and upward!

Purty:

No more trees! Nice casual lean!

Representin' - take note of upper left sticker:

Winding up to Red Cone:

On top of the world! (aka Red Cone)

Awwww.....

Told you she had a slingshot:

More stormage impending:

Past slide zones?

And that's where the camera battery died. We both got a few more shots with our phones, but I'll have to wait on those a bit. Awesome trip, incredible scenery, and the highest I've ever been in Colorado (lame, I know). The descent down Red Cone did have me white-knuckling a bit, but I think it was worse for the dirtbikers who came down right after us. My charge lights were flickering off and on most of the day on Sunday, but my alternator didn't die till we were two blocks from my house. Talk about fortunate timing. I also lost two lugnuts off the front and almost a third due to vibration and/or impacts. I also blew out my driver's side front shock, which is leaking all over the control arm, and tore the entire bottom mounting loop off the passenger side shock. The shock is just dangling from the upper mount right now. Luckily they were just old stockers and I'm saving for OME replacements as we speaketh. :) I'll snap a pic of my pinstriping as well. Definitely a memorable weekend, and a trip I would recommend to anyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome pics man, and you are lucky as hell with that alternator. Wish we could have joined you for redcone.

#3 ·
Holy Crap man were you Bajaing your way down? I can't believe that much broke. How tight do you have the torsion bars cranked? I am thinking with them cranked up adding the additional down force along with the stock length shock that's how you destroyed both of them. Oh well time for the new OME anyways.

Great pictures and I am glad you made it up and over Red Cone safely.

#4 ·
I may've been moving a bit faster than some would, but no more than we or the truck would (I thought) handle. :) T-bars aren't even cranked, they're bone stock. AFAIK, the shocks are stock to the truck - although I would hope they've been replaced at some point, I don't know for sure. So 260,000+ miles of wear and tear must have finally caught up with them. :D

#9 ·
Oh, it just ripped the bottom of the shock off, not the mount on the control arm. Pic forthcoming, stand by.

Very nice narrative as well :D
I have fun with those. :D

#10 ·
Driver's side, leaking all over. I checked my CV in a momentary bout of panic, but it appears to be intact.

Passenger side. Didn't even notice excessive bounce, as they were pretty bouncy already. Looks like it busted the bottom mounting tube at a seam and just stretched it right out.

The truck as it appeared today. I know I pissed a couple of folks off with my stickers, even on the trail. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.